!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Takahachikawa (Japanese layout)  (Read 18837 times)

kirky and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Takahachikawa (Japanese layout)
« Reply #510 on: July 04, 2019, 02:04:10 PM »
Oooo that's not a subtle colour.  8)

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #511 on: July 04, 2019, 04:03:27 PM »
It certainly stands out, and is highly attractive for small children, particularly boys, and you can purchase a whole plethora of Doctor Yellow merchandise (at the last count the Squidlet has a pair of Doctor Yellow socks, a Doctor Yellow badge, a Doctor Yellow spoon and a Doctor Yellow case for his Plarail toys, and I've even seen a pair of Doctor Yellow trainers in the wild).

Meanwhile I got sick of looking at the half-finished hairpin bend and called the plasterers in:

hairpin-bend-2019-07-04_01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

A lick of paint:

hairpin-bend-2019-07-04_02 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

A sprinkle of scatter:

hairpin-bend-2019-07-04_03 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

and it's now about 2/3rds finished. Need to add a bunch of fecund shrubbery as typical of Japan, crash barriers and road signs, and maybe repaint the road a more uniform colour.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #512 on: July 04, 2019, 11:16:51 PM »
Looking great, but I'd definitely be painting the road, Ian.  :thumbsup:

I think I am probably pleased I didn't have to visit the doctor on my trip to Osaka....  ;)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 11:21:02 PM by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #513 on: July 06, 2019, 02:51:38 PM »
So, in today's Broadcast from the Mythical Land of Rulewonia, we stick with the yellow theme and feast our eyes upon this later work from the House of Lima, which compared to their British N gauge efforts is actually not too bad, moreover if I recall correctly no-one else has got round to making a model of one of these in N gauge. If you close your eyes slightly you can maybe imagine that Donald Duck has left his usual stomping grounds in the Frankfurt/Main area and is on an excursion to the very southern part of Germany.

Lima BR403 "Lufthansa Airport Express by Rail Squid, on Flickr

The reason I have one is because it featured in the 1983 or 1984 Lima catalogue for some reason and I was intrigued by its foreign exoticness so was unable to resist acquiring one when the opportunity presented itself.

Mechanically, it looks like it has a horizontally-mounted can motor (I haven't taken it apart yet but it's visible through the windows) driving one bogie, but suffers from the classic Lima "pickups on the non-driving bogie only" flaw. But on the whole it's quite "driveable". It even has directional lighting, provided the direction is the one where the motor car is leading (the other end lacks electrical pickups).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 02:55:38 PM by railsquid »

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #514 on: July 06, 2019, 04:46:39 PM »
 :hellosign: looking good Ian, thanks for sharing
  regards Derek.

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #515 on: July 06, 2019, 05:59:07 PM »
I’ve always liked those. There’s a bit of “Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea” about them, or should I put the top back on the bottle?

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #516 on: July 07, 2019, 12:25:48 AM »
For a Lima model, it's not too bad, as you say.  :thumbsup:

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #517 on: July 07, 2019, 01:38:27 AM »
A scene from a 1990s wireframe screensaver?

left-scenic-area-2019-07-07_01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

I think the road can snake upwards like this, to disappear in the background behind some buildings:

left-scenic-area-2019-07-07_02 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

left-scenic-area-2019-07-07_03 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #518 on: July 07, 2019, 03:04:12 AM »
Will the trackwork be accessible?

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #519 on: July 07, 2019, 03:28:41 AM »
Will the trackwork be accessible?

I am a Squid of few principles, but one of them is to make all scenery removable, a) for ease of construction/modification, and b) access to any tracks which happen to be running below.

Some scenery removed by Rail Squid, on Flickr

(Though I had to construct the chopstick framework in-situ, which was fun because the rear left corner is about 100cm from the nearest layout edge, but now it's reasonably stable I can remove it and continue work in the comfort of my own workbench  :beers: )

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #520 on: July 07, 2019, 06:10:43 AM »
A quick trip down Recent Memory Lane:

Well then, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, gather round the internet for the next exciting installment of Railsquid's Obscure Japanese Trains:

Kato 115-2000 series (Minobu Line) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

What's that, you say? It's the same one as yesterday? Most certainly not. Pay attention and count the number of passenger doors on each side, please. That's right - 3 sets of doors, whereas yesterday's train only had two sets.

That's because this is a 115 series (2000 subclass), one variant of a fairly standard JNR design of EMU mainly for outer urban/regional stopping services on main/main-ish lines, so in contrast to urban commuter stock has 3 instead of 4 sets of doors, slightly more comfortable seating and toilet facilities.

This set was built in 1981 for the Minobu Line, located a fair way to the west of Tokyo "behind" Mt. Fuji, and which links the Tokaido main line to the Chuo line (hence my interest).

Well look what just arrived at Chez Railsquid: a Minobu Line 115-2000 series, this time in a fetching brown livery.

Tomix 115-2000 series (Minobu Line, brown) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Those of you who spend much time examining the roofs of Japanese trains will conclude that this is not some very old prototype, as compared to the red version above, the quantity of roof gubbins has grown somewhat, and those large boxy units are a sure sign that air-conditioning has been installed, for it is 1997, and while I'm not sure at what point between 1981 and that year the modification took place (most likely during the 1990s), 1997 was the 70th anniversary of the opening of the Minobu Line and the unit was painted in retro brown as part of the celebratory events.

I took a bit of a gamble on this one because the description implied the unit had been subject to some abuse resulting in it looking like it had been dragged on its side over ballast after having the roof doused in glue or something, but I think that was just the seller being over-honest as while not in 100% mint condition, it's in acceptable condition for a 20-year old 2nd hand model.

In modelling terms this is slightly more advanced than the Kato model previously shown, as the roof gubbins consists of separate parts, whereas on the somewhat older Kato model they're part of the roof moulding.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 06:13:47 AM by railsquid »

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #521 on: July 07, 2019, 08:37:56 AM »
The Squidlet, bless his little Doctor Yellow socks, has been in bed with a fever for most of the day, leaving me largely free to pootle about, which I don't get much chance to do usually (it's more a case of "Squidlet is out of the house! All systems go for two hours doing Stuff!").

Therefore I have pootled a hole in the shelf backscene board, which I really should mount higher up but that would involve dismantling half the room so it's easier to cut a hole in it to make space for the disposable chopsticks to rest upon without fouling the outer loop, which runs very close to the wall here.

left-scenic-area-2019-07-07_06 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Fortuitously I had the foresight to make the backscene boards removable, which made the whole operation feasible.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #522 on: July 07, 2019, 09:32:56 AM »
I am a Squid of few principles, but one of them is to make all scenery removable, a) for ease of construction/modification, and b) access to any tracks which happen to be running below.

I agree completely.  Whilst I normally stick firmly to the principle of shifting principles; this is one principle that I cannot see myself changing.  It's the principal principle.

Many thanks, Ian, for these terrific pictures and informative posts.  I wonder if the disposable chopstick industry is aware of the wider utility of its product.

I hope the Squidlet will be keeping better very soon.

Thanks again and all best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #523 on: July 07, 2019, 09:39:25 AM »
Yeah, all the best to Squidlet!

Nothing Doc Yellow can't cure, or Thomas, for that matter.  :thumbsup:

Leave Hello Kitty out of it, though  :beers:

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #524 on: July 07, 2019, 03:42:55 PM »
"Hello Kitty" is felinae non-grata in this household.

The Squidlet made a speedy recovery, many thanks, just in time for tea, but refused to watch Thomas as it appears to be an episode he remembers which involves some sort of crash, so he spent some quality time devoted to his latest hobby, drawing sketches of drainage systems with monsters in them. Don't ask (though if anyone would like a personalised sketch of a drainage system with monsters or optionally a panda to decorate their wall, we are disposing of them by the dozen at the moment).

left-scenic-area-2019-07-07_07 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Post-bedtime the Chopstick Men emerged from their hideyhole (sounds like a story to frighten small children with), or rather I chopped up some more chopsticks and also some coffee stirrers (which have the advantage of being quite flat compared to chopsticks) for the next construction stage. The stick of a recently consumed lollypop was also integrated into the structure.

Once this lot has dried, I'll add another round of bracing so the whole caboodle can be lifted off the layout for further work and fine tuning, before adding any actual scenery.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations

anything