!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Takahachikawa (Japanese layout)  (Read 26547 times)

Online railsquid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
Re: Takahachikawa (Japanese layout)
« Reply #495 on: July 01, 2019, 02:14:57 AM »
I don't tell some of my friends that I'm interested in model railways let alone chopsticks, imagine the wonderment and then the P taking :D.

Seriously though, a good idea. I'm always acquiring (shall we say) coffee stirrers from anywhere I can but chopsticks sound like a useful addition to the scenery box.

I have a Strategic Acquired Coffee Stirrer Reserve of course, the advantage of chopsticks is that they have a basically square cross-section and can be used for vertical supports.

This my first use of the method, about 18 months ago, also incorporating coffee stirrers and an ice lolly stick:

tunnel-hill-1 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Very robust.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 02:59:39 AM by railsquid »
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #496 on: July 01, 2019, 09:43:18 AM »
I don't tell some of my friends that I'm interested in model railways let alone chopsticks, imagine the wonderment and then the P taking :D.

Seriously though, a good idea. I'm always acquiring (shall we say) coffee stirrers from anywhere I can but chopsticks sound like a useful addition to the scenery box.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Me too; for the coffee stirrers.  These and ice-lollipop sticks appear to have endless model railway uses.  And the little jars for 'Tiptree' marmalade and jam in better-quality eating establishments such as those at Ravenglass and Dalegarth.

But, I adopt a different approach about my interest in railways, big and small.  I tell people.  Most, particularly ladies, are fairly interested and often ask to see a photograph.  Friends that know about one's modelling interests can be a super source of materials and assistance.  Conversely, modellers often have tools (and the skills) to help people.  Repairing spectacles' frames and putting little batteries in things appear to be my specialities.  And soldering electrical things, various!

Best wishes.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #497 on: July 03, 2019, 09:02:40 AM »
I must admit that since starting this whole playing-with-trains business, I have acquired a bunch of tools and skills which come in handy in other contexts.

Project Chopstick Mountain is progressing in a slow-but-steady fashion, no photos of that, but here's another train, the (in)famous SquidCar:

MicroAce KiHa 40 (KiHa 40-807) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

This is a KiHa 40-700 series diesel railcar, a JNR era design, model by MicroAce, the prototype ran on the northerly island of Hokkaido. Where it does get a little on the chilly side, so one common feature of JNR-era stock for Hokkaido was smaller, double-glazed windows for extra insulation.

In case you were wondering, this is not a fictitious livery but actually existed in the late 1990s (not sure for how long), here's a video including this and the companion Crab and Fox railcars:

(Direct link to video in case it doesn't display for any reason: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj-M0qIB8Vw )

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #498 on: July 03, 2019, 09:27:15 AM »
Many thanks for the great photograph.

I enjoyed that film.  The location kind of reminded me of Birmingham New Street for some reason.

...here's another train, the (in)famous SquidCar:...

Did you name yourself for the Forum after this attractive train?  The others were nice as well.  I think that liveries like these bring a bit of fun and variety to the modern railway.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #499 on: July 03, 2019, 09:49:44 AM »
I've posted it in YouTube using the text:

(youtube)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj-M0qIB8Vw(/youtube)

The only thing you need to change is the round brackets around 'YouTube' to square brackets.  I have had to use the round brackets so you could see the text.

Here's the result:

With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #500 on: July 03, 2019, 12:19:04 PM »
Oh, is that the correct incantation? It works for me if I put the video ID only (not the whole link) between the tags. I can never remember which forums work which way...

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #501 on: July 03, 2019, 01:11:26 PM »
Many thanks for the great photograph.

I enjoyed that film.  The location kind of reminded me of Birmingham New Street for some reason.

One of the downsides of Japan is that there are very few stations of particular architectural value, so quite a few look like Birmingham New Street, but more crowded and much more efficient.

...here's another train, the (in)famous SquidCar:...

Did you name yourself for the Forum after this attractive train?  The others were nice as well.  I think that liveries like these bring a bit of fun and variety to the modern railway.

The other way round, I have a semi-random system of monikers I use for various forums to keep my various online identities separate and for whatever reason ended up with this one for trains. Then someone on another forum helpfully pointed out the existence of this train, and I was duty-bound to acquire it.

I also have crabs (ooh err Matron), this one came with a set of unpowered dummy cars in a more conventional livery.

MicroAce KiHa 40 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

MicroAce KiHa 40 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

They do make for a nice splash of colour; one thing I like about Japanese railways is for the most part, even in these modern times, is that they mostly [1] stick to liveries suitable for trains, not something a "designer" came up with while nursing a hangover, but there's always room for some oddball stuff.

[1] we won't mention the Hello Kitty or Mickey Mouse trains they have in western Japan, but they're a bit funny out that way
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 01:46:57 PM by railsquid, Reason: fix formatting »

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #502 on: July 04, 2019, 06:14:33 AM »
Railsquid san - I've lost track of how many locos you must have! Always new photos! What's your guess?

The number of locos (or more specifically powered stock) can be expressed as the "Hobby Constant", a hot topic of advanced mathematical research and which represents a paradoxical number which can never be precisely defined yet which is simultaneously Not Enough and Too Many, but which is increasing monotonically. In accordance with Einstein's little-known Theory of Domestic Relativity the size and rate of change appears different depending on the viewpoint of the observer and their role in the household (the "not another bloody train" phenomenon).

TV channel "Dave" have a competition for the best one liner at the Edinburgh Fringe (invariable won by Tim Vine and worth a google search for previous years top 10's) .... if the forum were to have a similar most humorous post competition .... this one from Ian would most definitely be up there in my book! love it  :smiley-laughing: 

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #503 on: July 04, 2019, 07:23:47 AM »

Cheers weave  :beers:

I am with you there Chris, Mrs MR can often be seen rolling her eyes when we go to places that have a free dispensery of essential N gauge modelling materials at their beverage finishing stations (why call it a station if it is not related to railway modelling?) .... often with a follow up question of "why do you need 47 wooden coffee stirrers when you drink black americano with no sugar.....?"   I usually decline to answer on the basis that, as clever as she is,  if she had to ask that question, then no way will she follow the logic to understand the answer ...

After a year or more of following the fascinating story of Takahachikawa, we recently had the same "debate" in YO! Sushi   :angel:

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #504 on: July 04, 2019, 07:31:36 AM »
Just caught back up with your thread again after a few weeks absence (hence the recent random quotes) ... great progress and great content, there is a lot to learn from that part of the world - thanks for all the updates & seemingly never ending supply of different trains

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #505 on: July 04, 2019, 08:01:26 AM »
I am with you there Chris, Mrs MR can often be seen rolling her eyes when we go to places that have a free dispensery of essential N gauge modelling materials at their beverage finishing stations (why call it a station if it is not related to railway modelling?) .... often with a follow up question of "why do you need 47 wooden coffee stirrers when you drink black americano with no sugar.....?"   I usually decline to answer on the basis that, as clever as she is,  if she had to ask that question, then no way will she follow the logic to understand the answer ...

Mrs Railsquid, has on occasion been known to hand me a random object with the suggestion it might be useful for my "N gauge" (or "enu geiji", which,  come to think of it, is commonly used as a euphemism for "model railway"). On the other hand she has been bemused to see me fish various items (not fish!) out of the bin for the same reason.

Just caught back up with your thread again after a few weeks absence (hence the recent random quotes) ... great progress and great content, there is a lot to learn from that part of the world - thanks for all the updates & seemingly never ending supply of different trains

Plenty more trains to come!

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #506 on: July 04, 2019, 08:15:57 AM »

Excellent!

Best wishes.

John

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #507 on: July 04, 2019, 08:37:16 AM »
Similarly, Mrs PP frequently hands me bits and bobs which just might be useful.
Plus, we often pick up ofds and ends in the street which come in handy as wagon loads.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #508 on: July 04, 2019, 09:07:01 AM »
I get stuff thrown at me  :worried:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #509 on: July 04, 2019, 01:21:39 PM »

Excellent!

Aaargh, I seem to be suffering from an overdose of rolling stock. Is there a doctor in the house?

Why yes, Doctor Yellow!

Kato 700 series "Dr Yellow" by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Kato 700 series "Dr Yellow" by Rail Squid, on Flickr

You'll just have to suspend disbelief and assume this is a special kind of dual-gauge, dual-voltage Shinkansen which can operate on the Chuo Line's 1500v DC Cape Gauge system (rather than the entirely separate standard gauge 20Kv AC Shinkansen network).

Now, while I'm not a fan of the newer Shinkansens (Doctor Yellow is based off the 700 series, the mainstay of the line between Tokyo and Osaka), the good doctor does have a long pointy nose which is useful for clearance testing):

tunnel-clearance-testing-2019-07-04 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

though no doubt the little people inside in the catenary observation pods are wondering what happened to all the overhead wires.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything