!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Takahachikawa (Japanese layout)  (Read 38780 times)

Offline weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Takahachikawa (Japanese layout)
« Reply #450 on: June 22, 2019, 08:09:51 AM »
Hi railsquid,

Have only been hitting the 'thank you' button so firstly to say thanks properly for all the great pics.

Also thank you for the corridor connector post. I need some similar ones for some '70s French coaches I bought on ebay. All of them are missing the connectors and I couldn't find anything that would look right but those ones painted black might fit the bill.

I hadn't heard of Kato ASSY before so thanks for the part number. Only seem to be available in Japan and my computer doesn't seem to like translating Japanese although it did with the 'Model Train Plus' site so will get some from there unless you know of a better option? As they are light and not too expensive I hopefully won't be fleeced by postage and import tax.

Too many thank yous there so Cheers, weave  :beers:

PS. Can't see vids either  :(

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #451 on: June 22, 2019, 08:26:48 AM »
Hi railsquid,

Have only been hitting the 'thank you' button so firstly to say thanks properly for all the great pics.

Also thank you for the corridor connector post. I need some similar ones for some '70s French coaches I bought on ebay. All of them are missing the connectors and I couldn't find anything that would look right but those ones painted black might fit the bill.

I hadn't heard of Kato ASSY before so thanks for the part number. Only seem to be available in Japan and my computer doesn't seem to like translating Japanese although it did with the 'Model Train Plus' site so will get some from there unless you know of a better option? As they are light and not too expensive I hopefully won't be fleeced by postage and import tax.

Yup, parts mainly only available in Japan unless they're for Kato's overseas models.  'Model Train Plus' has a good reputation, I've met the proprietor on a couple of occasions and he's a very nice guy.

If you put "カトー assy ホロ" (or even "kato assy horo", eek) into Google Image search etc. you can get an overview of the bewildering variety of available corridor connectors.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #452 on: June 22, 2019, 05:12:38 PM »
And today's colour is "orange", as we leap back into the present day with this Chuo Line E233 series EMU, which is the mainstay of commuter services on the Chuo Line from Tokyo Station usually as far as Takao on the edge of the urban area, where the Kanto Plain hits the hills, but sometimes beyond, even onto the private Fujikyu line which runs down towards Mt. Fuji. There is also a spray of Chuo Line branches served by this train.

Tomix E233 (Chuo Line) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Introduced in 2006, and currently undergoing midlife refurbishment which includes the addition of toilet facilities, as these trains do have some quite long runs. Standard train length is 10 cars, though they do split into 6/4 car units on some of the outer branches. There is a plan to add two double-decker reserved seat cars (as present on other longer-distance commuter lines), though that will involve extending the platforms on 50+ stations, and it's not clear how long that will take.

I should note that the JR lines in the Tokyo area each have their own distinctive line colour, which is used not only on the trains but also as the line "branding", as well as on the network maps. The Chuo Line is orange, which has some historical background I will touch upon when we've dialed back a couple of train generations.

Tomix E233 (Chuo Line) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Model by Tomix, detailing added by previous owner (in the first photo the pink stickers on the windows indicate the car is reserved for ladies only during the morning rush hour).
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 05:23:00 PM by railsquid »

Online cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #453 on: June 22, 2019, 09:47:29 PM »
 :hellosign: Many thanks Ian, all splendid info &   :greatpicturessign:
      regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #454 on: June 23, 2019, 02:55:02 PM »
So, let's take a break from identifying trains and consider this very bare and desolate end of the layout:

left-side-hill-2019-06-23_01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

The plan is to hide it under mountainous scenery, upon which will reside various hot spring resort buildings.

We make a start by repurposing some scenery from an earlier layout iteration which was gathering dust on a shelf by converting it into a narrow, steep windy road (for access to the said hot springs, though for purposes of better  access we'll imagine there's another route friendlier to larger vehicles).

left-side-hill-2019-06-23_02 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #455 on: June 24, 2019, 03:35:51 PM »
Today we see some scenic acupuncture, aka how to hold the facing wall in place and maintain a subtle concave curve while the glue dries. I usually use what the Blue Peter presenters used to delicately refer to as "sticky tape" wrapped tightly around the scenic block in question, but that's not really practical here.

left-side-hill-2019-06-24_01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

It was previously almost vertical, but there is now space for a slightly less severe slope.

The section of road it supports was originally meant to be a two-lane main road, but the incline is a little on the steep side; the width will be reduced to a narrow mountain road more suited to the climb.

Also the tunnel engineers have been hard at work, mildly inconvenienced by the discovery of an expanded polystyrene layer in the local geology.

Assiduous takers of notes will no doubt be able to identify the train in the background.

Meanwhile my attention was grabbed by this magazine in my local bookstore:

rail-magazine-2019-08_vol-431 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

which has a big feature on the history of the Chuo Line, including many pictures I haven't seen before and which have caused some hurried additions to the "must purchase" list.

The train featured on the cover is a 115 series, a different variant to the Minobu Line one we have seen previously, and which will no doubt be subject of a future post or two.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 03:51:27 PM by railsquid »

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #456 on: June 25, 2019, 01:13:21 AM »
Have we ever seen a layout plan, Ian?  :hmmm:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #457 on: June 25, 2019, 03:32:15 AM »
Have we ever seen a layout plan, Ian?  :hmmm:

I'm sure I've posted plans before, maybe in a predecessor thread, but the last printed plan I have now bears very little relation to the reality on the ground. When I get a chance and the whole thing doesn't look too much of a bomb site, I'll post some aerial photos (with track-obscuring scenery removed where feasible) which should give an idea of how it fits together at whatever point it's evolved to by then.

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #458 on: June 25, 2019, 03:44:57 AM »
Thanks!

Bit like my layout...  can't provide a complete plan 'cos it's not finished, and probably never will be, unfortunately.  :(

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #459 on: June 25, 2019, 04:22:36 PM »
And in today's episode of the Never-Ending Layout Story, some more work on integrating the Repurposed Scenic Block into the current scenery configuration:

left-side-hill-2019-06-25_01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

It's starting to fit together, both literally and figuratively, and the above view is one I can see from the comfort of the office chair, and it will be quite spiffing to see trains pop in and out of the tunnels, I reckon.

From another perspective, albeit one only available by holding the camera at an unnatural angle:

left-side-hill-2019-06-25_02 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

We have not yet been introduced to the orange train, bonus points to anyone who can identify it.

The blue/light grey one is a Shinkansen coach which is my go-to clearance tester.

Tunnel portal by Peco, @Bealman will be interested to know I found it in the shop he purchased his Kato locomotive in.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #460 on: June 25, 2019, 07:58:51 PM »
Thank you for these pictures.  You certainly have the scenic work under control.

As for the orange train...  I'm not totally sure (a jolly good euphemism!), but I think it's a commuter train (lots of doors) and DC only (not a lot of pantograph-related gubbins).

No bonus points for me; then!

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #461 on: June 25, 2019, 11:30:40 PM »
I thought it was a Peco portal. Interesting source!  :thumbsup:

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #462 on: June 25, 2019, 11:44:45 PM »
Orange Class 201?

If it is I cheated so please donate any bonus points to charity. If not, 'I got it wrong again dad' but am learning more about all this Japanese stuff.

Cheers weave  :beers:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 11:46:11 PM by weave »

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #463 on: June 25, 2019, 11:55:23 PM »
Orange Class 201?

If it is I cheated so please donate any bonus points to charity.

Correct!

Your bonus points have been donated to the Tachikawa Area N Gauge Addiction Therapy Group, where they will be used to wean sufferers off their impulse to purchase new N gauge trains, oh sod it Tomix have a new one out this week.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #464 on: June 26, 2019, 12:10:01 AM »
Is it a Kato 10-374?

I had just Googled 'orange Japanese commuter train photos' and something by 'tutenkhamunsleeping' on the N Gauge Forum from March 2018 came up about 8 pics down  :).

Enjoy your new purchase.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal