!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Sound fitting a Class 60 (TTS decoder)  (Read 241 times)

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Sound fitting a Class 60 (TTS decoder)
« on: May 29, 2018, 09:36:47 AM »
Hi
Having fitted a class 37 with a TTS sound chip (with thanks to @Paul-H and @njee20 for their invaluable help) I'm looking to fit a class 60 with the appropriate class 60 chip.
I've tested the chip and it works fine. I want to try and convert in a similar way to the 37 if posible, that is change the black wires from the original Farish light pcbs, which are black, to colour coded wires to match the decoder. On the 37 this was easy, three wires - one each for red and white, and a common - simple. But on the 60 there are four wires. I cant for the life of me work out which wire should go to which wire on the decoder.

Any help greatly appreciated

Cheer
Kirky
Northallerton is in the August 2018 edition of Raiway Modeller

and in real life at the Normanton and Pontefract exhibition. New College, Park Lane, Pontefract. 26/27th January 2019

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline Paul-H

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
Re: Sound fitting a Class 60 (TTS decoder)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 10:15:59 AM »
Hi

Not done or got a class 60 but if its anything like their class 66 which also has 4 black wires then its worth having a look at these instructions

http://www.youchoos.co.uk/Index-Resource.php?L1=Guides&Item=N66Zimo

You will see 4 black wires labelled on the back of the lighting board A,B,C & D

Blue Common + Goes to A, Yellow rear Goes to B, White Front goes to D and C is left unused as its also a common +

If you have a multimeter you can test which goes were using the diode test function, with the red probe on the blue + position and black probe on Yellow or white - position the LED should light, if you find it needs 2 blue + for both lights to work connect to both to the decoder blue wire, remembering to put the resistor in the blue line first.

Depending on how the rear lights are wired you might find rear white connects to front yellow and rear yellow connects to front white. just test before final insulation of all the joins.

Hope this has been of help

Paul
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 10:34:13 AM »
Thanks @Paul-H
Iíll have to take some time to digest all of that, but on first inspection it sounds right.
Iíll post progress here.

Cheers
Kirky
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 01:19:16 PM by kirky »

and in real life at the Normanton and Pontefract exhibition. New College, Park Lane, Pontefract. 26/27th January 2019

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 01:18:18 PM »
A little bit more info

you can see from the picture that the pcb isnt exactly like the 66 version. There are four wires but five terminals lettered A-E.

Here is the other side - not much of a giveaway there either.

I cant do as @Paul-H suggested as I dont have a multimeter with a diode tester on it. I think I'll have to experiment.

Cheers
Kirky

Offline Paul-H

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 06:20:16 PM »
Do you have a multimeter of any type, if you do does it have a buzzer position for continuity if yes that's normally the diode test position as well.

Failing that a 9v battery with a 5k resistor in the positive lead will also work to test the LED's
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 06:21:40 PM by Paul-H »
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 06:35:01 PM »
Thanks for that @Paul-H . I do have an analogue multimeter with a needle! I use resistance as my continuity tester. I really should upgrade my multimeter at some point I suppose. I just like the needle.
I was thinking along the lines of the 9volt battery anyway.

Thanks again
Kirky

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 07:31:27 PM »
Pass Iím afraid! Ashley Dease-Vincent on the NGF Facebook page has just done another TTS 60 - may be worth asking him if youíre still unsure? Iíd be interested, as Iíve got a 60 TTS decoder on my workbench!

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £275.00
Above Goal: £220.00
Site Currency: GBP
500% 
December Donations

Advertise Here