!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Schools loco problems?  (Read 330 times)

Offline lendix

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Dapol Schools loco problems?
« on: May 22, 2018, 04:29:37 PM »
I have had major problems with Dapol's delightful Schools class locos, and wonder if others have had similar experiences.
I purchased my first one in March this year, and as my own layout was then dismantled, tested the loco on our Association's N gauge layout. For the first few circuits, all was well, then for no initial visible reason, the loco began to derail shortly after emerging from a curve. After a couple of occasions it was found on examination, the the spokes of the rear wheel of the front bogie were jamming against part of the loco's running rods, so much so that eventually a rod was actually getting bent. I returned the loco to Hatton's as faulty, and received a replacement.
By the time of the replacement's arrival, my own layout had been reestablished, so this time, testing took place on both the Association's and my own layouts. As before after the first few circuits, when all went well, derailments began to occur from the same problem. However, this time the jamming caused the loco's running gear to actually detach. This loco was too return, and I received my money back.
I should point out that no other loco has ever had trouble on the curves, and I don't consider the curves on either layout to be particularly severe, especially the Association's.
My question is, has anyone had a similar problems with Dapol's Schools locos? Personally I think it is a great shame, because it is a delightful model, and I would very much like to have (a successful) one as part of my loco stock. Views, opinions and especially any solutions, would be very welcome.

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: Dapol Schools loco problems?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 04:36:48 PM »
 :hmmm: I've read a fair number of similar reports.
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Online ODRAILS

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 05:53:39 PM »
This is a very common problem.
If you'd looked at the N gauge Forum Reviews section you might have found:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=6606.390

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 07:04:42 PM »
You don't say what radius this is on?

And is pointwork involved at all. It is a common thing that locos can derail after coming off a curve straight onto pointwork, because the bogie has not had time to sort its alignment out before it goes over the points.

Bob

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 07:39:16 PM »
Not had any issues with the two we have in the club, but I can see how such issues may arise. The front bogie of the Schools is mounted in a more prototypical fashion than most N gauge model locos. This should in theory be less prone to derailment and give smoother waddle-free running, but because the whole bogie moves differently, it is more prone to clashing with the valve gear if there are sudden changes of direction without transition such as badly aligned track joints or 'S' bends.

I'd review the track for kinks, bad joins etc and certainly avoid less than 15 inch radius curves, especially set-track points.

Offline Bramshot

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 10:34:19 AM »
I have 5 A4ís, some bought as Grade Bís from DCC Supplies, and every one, even the new ones, derail on LH settrack points (so small radius). In this case, the pony truck seemed to be fouling on the inside of the cylinder block, and a bit of judicious filing of the plastic, to form a bit more of s chamfer has cured it. None of my other locos have any problem with these points at all.
The pivot arrangement of these is also prototypical and seems to be intended to help the drivers around corners, to the extent that re-railing them is near impossible on a curve (not first radius) as the flanges bind with the rails, and must be done in a straight section.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £317.00
Above Goal: £262.00
Site Currency: GBP
576% 
December Donations

Advertise Here