!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Footbridges  (Read 226 times)

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
Footbridges
« on: May 19, 2018, 03:59:18 PM »
I've been trying to find some information on footbridges at rural stations in the old Great Eastern territory in steam days, and few of the photos I have found seem to indicate any footbridge at all. Did the GER generally not build them? Were passengers expected to cross the tracks at ground level at the platform ends, or were there two entrances/exits, one for each line? If there was a road bridge or more likely a level crossing nearby, was that used instead?

I'd be very interested to get more information.

Thanks in advance,

Chris
"As I always say, it's a funny old world. Do you always say that? Oh good." (Jill Tweedie)

Offline martyn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • Awards
Re: Footbridges
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 05:50:14 PM »
Chris;

Very briefly, as I'm off to work.

Yes, the GER did build bridges, but from photos, a lot of secondary/single track lines relied on foot crossings-and even some not so secondary lines (eg Mistley and Wrabness on the busy Harwich branch, but Dovercourt, and Parkeston,-on the same line, but with fewer trains-had a footbridge). Some stations on the same routes had bridges, others flat crossings-eg see photos of the Stour valley route.

There were also stations with subways-eg Manningtree and Ardleigh on the Colchester line.

You'll need to closely examine station photos to try and make a more general picture. It may to think sideways sometimes-pictures taken of stations from above ground level may have been taken from a footbridge.....

Their is a card model of Acle footbridge available through Ebay-Modelux?

HTH

Martyn

Offline Papyrus

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 06:01:21 PM »
Thanks, Martyn, that's very helpful, and sort of what I was expecting. Certainly the smaller stations in the Cambridge/Newmarket area didn't seem to have any, so I guess the traffic on the lines was so light as to make a footbridge an unnecessary expense.

Cheers,

Chris
"As I always say, it's a funny old world. Do you always say that? Oh good." (Jill Tweedie)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 08:47:47 PM »
This handy site might help in your investigations, Chris.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk

Offline Papyrus

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 11:51:18 AM »
Thanks Mick. I have come across this website before when I was looking for something else and had forgotten about it. Delving into it I came across this absolute gem of a film from the late 50s of the Cambridge to Mildenhall branch, which shows that the only footbridge on the route was at Fordham, which, being a junction, would have carried a lot more traffic.

http://lode.ccan.co.uk/content/catalogue_item/cambridge-to-mildenhall-line-2

This has given me a lot of ideas for my layout, which will be based roughly in that area.

Cheers,

Chris

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £347.00
Above Goal: £292.00
Site Currency: GBP
631% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything