!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: A touch of Scotch  (Read 2303 times)

Offline barneyadi

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25703
    • Awards
Re: Bedroom 2 layout
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2018, 07:15:59 PM »
So thanks to advice this is revised plan with crossover included. Is it in right place?

Offline Caz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2018, 07:29:04 PM »
Yup, that's a trailing crossover, will give access to the yard from the up line so you're set to go.   :thumbsup:

Offline Carmont

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2018, 07:46:17 PM »
Thatís the fella!

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2018, 08:00:45 PM »
Is there any problem that it is in the middle of the station area?

Have been in contact with the layout plan's designer who said a crossover was not included to keep it fast moving, but on a private layout he would include it.

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2018, 08:08:07 PM »
I think you've got it in the most logical position but it could be anywhere within station limits and give direct access to the yard.  Gives you so much more operational potential.   :thumbsup:

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2018, 12:02:24 PM »
Here is a finalised plan for my layout.

Have marked on the station building, signal box and goods or loco shed. Also marked for a level crossing. I have a list of wants for the layout.

1. Station buildings based on the Port Road structures of south west Scotland. Have plans for them so some scratchbuilding will be fun.
2. A level crossing. Would be great to have a working one, so if anyone can suggest one that would be great, or if not just lights flashing would be fine.
3. Upto date signalling, and working. Again any suggestions most welcome.
4. Town scene will be card, have some Scalescenes and Smart Models building to make. Especially want a church, school and a pub. Then some shops and houses. If anyone knows of another card building supplier or maybe something else I should look at, would be much appreciated.
5. Some sort of terrain both sides to run track off to fiddle yard. Possibly on the left an embankment and then tunnels or bridges on the right.
6. Will be DCC so trying to keep electrics as simple as possible. Need a few more SL-E395f points for fiddle yard, but found out they are been replaced with universal ones, what is up with that?

Although will be a flat layout I hope to add some height interest with tunnels etc. As my first proper layout I thought best to keep it simple. If I have missed anything you think I should think about please let me know.

Dave

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
Re: A touch of Scotch
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2018, 11:53:45 AM »
Have decided to rename layout to something that matches what I am trying to do. So 'A touch of Scotch' it is.

Online Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2018, 12:00:47 PM »
Have decided to rename layout to something that matches what I am trying to do. So 'A touch of Scotch' it is.

single malt I trust. :)

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2018, 12:18:22 PM »
Is there any way to move the platforms a bit further forwards, so the trailing crossover is situated before the platforms themselves?

One practical reason is that long wheelbase locos and wagons may collide with the platform edge as they reverse out of the Up line into the siding. The other reason is a question of realism. While I'm sure what you've got here happens, I don't think it's terribly common.

Curved platforms also do tend to look a bit more interesting as well, I think.

You could ditch the level crossing straight and move the platforms forwards without having to do much else. Either have a curved level crossing (easy enough to build with a bit of filler and plastic card) or replace it with a bridge if you needed road access there. Otherwise shift the level crossing closer to the trailing crossover and signal box.

Cheers, NeMo

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2018, 12:23:07 PM »
Agree with above.

I like the idea of the working level crossing, and you could even do working gates with servos and sensors.

Just caught onto this while sitting at a street bar in Kyoto, but would like you to know I'm paying attention and looking forward to developments!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2018, 02:17:46 PM »
Is there any way to move the platforms a bit further forwards, so the trailing crossover is situated before the platforms themselves?

One practical reason is that long wheelbase locos and wagons may collide with the platform edge as they reverse out of the Up line into the siding. The other reason is a question of realism. While I'm sure what you've got here happens, I don't think it's terribly common.

Curved platforms also do tend to look a bit more interesting as well, I think.

You could ditch the level crossing straight and move the platforms forwards without having to do much else. Either have a curved level crossing (easy enough to build with a bit of filler and plastic card) or replace it with a bridge if you needed road access there. Otherwise shift the level crossing closer to the trailing crossover and signal box.

Cheers, NeMo

I did think of moving the points nearer to the right but was concerned the branch line train would come round bend and then straight on to a point, not sure if that would work or not. I definitely want a level crossing and to put it to the right of the station just doesn't work for me. And I have never seen a curved one, although sure there will be one or two around. A curved platform had crossed my mind but would prefer to keep this one straight.

Agree with above.

I like the idea of the working level crossing, and you could even do working gates with servos and sensors.

Just caught onto this while sitting at a street bar in Kyoto, but would like you to know I'm paying attention and looking forward to developments!  :beers:

Have looked into working level crossing, got a couple of leads I am following up.

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2018, 02:19:14 PM »
Here is a quick plan of the trailing crossover moved more to the right. And then my query on point straight after bend.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2018, 03:12:58 PM »
Make the point a RH one as part of the bend, as in.................

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2018, 03:44:37 PM »
So something like this?

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2018, 04:50:05 PM »
Yep. However it fits best but you'll get better running that way than a point after the curve.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £347.00
Above Goal: £292.00
Site Currency: GBP
631% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything