!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Interesting houses  (Read 749 times)

Offline Dorsetmike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
Interesting houses
« on: April 22, 2018, 12:02:40 PM »
On my way to and from the hospital for radio therapy treatment I pass some houses which methinks would be a challenge to model, probably only viable as cast or 3D, wouldn't like to attempt the stonework round the windows in card!

I don't have a use for them on my current layout but I am intrigued. Maybe best for a low relief model, if you look at the overhead/satellite view they are a bit large for a complete buillding on anything other than a large layout. Also interesting is that one half of the semi is brick, the other rendered, the brick colour is not uncommon in this area.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.7216842,-1.9424392,3a,89.9y,347.9h,92.92t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNePqbptK30cgw3g945JHtg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Loking at old maps it looks like the area was developed around 1900, nothing shows on maps for 1890s but does show on 1901/2
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
Re: Interesting houses
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 12:14:06 PM »
On my way to and from the hospital for radio therapy treatment I pass some houses which methinks would be a challenge to model...

Can I just comment on the beautifully British sangfroid in that sentence there?

Hope the treatment is going well.

Cheers, NeMo

PS. Those houses look like classic late Victorian or early Edwardian 'villas'. Owned by those a substantial step up in social standing from the ubiquitous 2-up, 2-down terraced cottages. What's interesting is how those two building styles were often built by the same companies, even on the same roads. My terraced cottage overlooks villa houses very like the ones you have there, and bigger ones are little more than a hundred yards from my front door on the high street.

In Berkhamsted at least, the terraced cottages were often homes for factory workers and blue-collar railwaymen, while the villas were occupied by white-collar railwaymen such as the stationmaster as well as bankers and factory managers.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 12:17:52 PM by NeMo »
NGS Journal Editor

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
Re: Interesting houses
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 08:55:52 PM »
There are hundreds of houses in this style just down the road from me in Brighton and (particularly) Hove, though usually not in such an immaculate state of repair! I particularly like the curved detailing over the windows - every house seems to be different. This doesn't help you with modelling them though!

Cheers,

Chris
"Outside of a dog, a book is probably man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."  Groucho Marx

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
April Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal