!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hadley Wood  (Read 12107 times)

Offline crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Hadley Wood
« Reply #195 on: May 23, 2019, 03:12:17 PM »
seconded

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #196 on: May 24, 2019, 08:07:54 AM »
@Atso
Steve, many thanks for sharing the video - the scissors looks brilliant.
Just wondering if the coaches are traversing the scissors in reverse? That would be a true test of workmanship!

Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance at the LINCOLN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION Feb 29th -1st Mar 2020

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #197 on: May 24, 2019, 07:20:52 PM »
Excellent, Steve.

Thank you very much.

You ought to be elected to the Permanent Way Institute for that S&C work.

It's maybe just me, but the test locomotive looked as if it was from the LM.  Rather you than me to explain that to Sir Nigel.

Wonderful work.

All best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #198 on: May 24, 2019, 11:17:17 PM »
Thank you all.

The locomotive is a 4F from the war flat train pack. I got it cheaply a few years ago when Cheltenham were selling them split from the wagons. It'll end up being a donor for an LNER loco but I'm undecided on which what yet.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #199 on: May 24, 2019, 11:19:12 PM »
@Atso
Steve, many thanks for sharing the video - the scissors looks brilliant.
Just wondering if the coaches are traversing the scissors in reverse? That would be a true test of workmanship!

Hi Kirky,

I'm happy to report that the Gresleys were successfully pushed through the scissor yesterday as well - while close coupled together. I'm still to try it with wagons though...

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #200 on: May 25, 2019, 01:58:38 PM »

Hi Kirky,

I'm happy to report that the Gresleys were successfully pushed through the scissor yesterday as well - while close coupled together. I'm still to try it with wagons though...

very impressive
Northallerton will make its next public appearance at the LINCOLN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION Feb 29th -1st Mar 2020

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #201 on: May 26, 2019, 03:54:47 PM »
A triumph! You must get a great feeling knowing you have built that crossing yourself. Works beautifully.
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #202 on: June 05, 2019, 05:51:04 PM »
As it is my birthday soon, I thought I'd tread myself to a little something for the layout. They're not locos, stock or scenic but hopefully they will sort of be seen eventually.

What is pictured are the Working Timetables for the King's X - Doncaster district and London/branches suburban for 1937 and 1933 respectively. These came from the LNER Society (which I will join later this year) and are a treasure trove of information. They compliment the 1937 GNML Carriage Working Book I have nicely, and I am able to match up many of the passenger formations with their approximate times at (or through) Hadley Wood. The Working Timetables also provide timings for goods workings and basic information of their main purposes - there was a manure train that ran on the ECML, something worse than the smell of fish?!

It might sound OTT or boring to some but, if I'm going to model a prototypical location, I really should try and model some prototypical formations and workings.

Next I need to source an ECML Carriage Working Book to get some information on the trains that fell out of the remit of the GN Section.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 05:52:25 PM by Atso »

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #203 on: June 05, 2019, 11:14:28 PM »

It might sound OTT or boring to some but, if I'm going to model a prototypical location, I really should try and model some prototypical formations and workings.

Agree 100%.  I have taken to reading the Waverley Route WTT in the bath, trying to get a feel for traffic flows and patterns.  All covered by Rule One: it's my railway and I can run a carefully researched, authentic sequence of trains if I like.

Richard

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #204 on: June 06, 2019, 12:21:37 AM »
Agree 100%.  I have taken to reading the Waverley Route WTT in the bath, trying to get a feel for traffic flows and patterns.  All covered by Rule One: it's my railway and I can run a carefully researched, authentic sequence of trains if I like.

Richard

Hi Richard,

I'm glad I'm not facing the insanity alone!  :smiley-laughing:

Trying to piece together what was happening 80-87 years ago is actually quite fascinating and it has certainly changed some of the perceptions I'd created in my own mind. That said, Hadley Wood will always be a bit of a compromise, I haven't got room to store a 80 to 100 wagon coal train (around 40 will be the limit), I can only represent (at best) 5% or the workings and my choice to model a fairly wide period of time means that not all the stock changes over the years can be represented

That said, the Carriage Working Books were produced on a best endeavours basis. If a certain carriage was unavailable, it was replaced with the closest equivalent type in the carriage sidings. This could lead at times to a formation looking quite different from the official description and if you throw in a few strengthened coaches, you'd be hard pressed to identified a train in photos using the official records.

I know I've said it before, but I can't believe just how few LNER built carriages were in service on express turns. I want to model one of the Hull-King's Cross expresses complete with its clerestory third, a twelve wheel pantry third (working as a support vehicle for a first class restaurant car) and the various lengths of ex-GNR stock that made up the majority of the train.

I also can't believe that I've only found a few services which had buffet cars in them (none using the type produced by Dapol). Apparently buffet expresses weren't not that common on the GN section and full restaurant cars were the norm. I'm yet to find any passenger formation that can be accurately represented by only using RTR offerings.

I've barely even touch on goods trains yet...

Not for everyone, but I would like to try and recreate a pieces of history as accuracy as the limitations of the layout allow. Not everyone's cup of tea, I know - it's a hobby after all and the only rule is that we have fun, regardless what we do.  :)

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #205 on: June 06, 2019, 07:45:00 AM »
I have thought about building a 1930s layout but I have to admit the research required is daunting.  Late fifties onwards is much easier, just because there were so many people photographing railways by then. But once you choose a specific prototype and period you are going to run up against problems like the ones you describe with coaching stock.  I recently found out that the daily St Pancras - Edinburgh  "Waverley" express had a Stanier twelve-wheeler kitchen car in the formation which lasted into the early diesel era. It sticks out like a sore thumb in photos.  How to build such a thing, then paint and letter it so that it doesn't look out of place in a rake of Farish maroon Mk1s?

The LNER was famously poor and it sounds as though they made their coaching stock last a long time.  I suspect you might have quite a lot of scratchbuilding ahead of you.  At least I only have one coach to build.

Richard

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #206 on: June 06, 2019, 09:47:18 AM »
@Atso
@belstone

I would heartily recommend this DVD to you both although the north east and eastern railways form only a part of the footage (which is excellent, by the way). You are both more educated than I on coach types so would get more from this than me............

https://www.videoscene.co.uk/steam-on-35mm-the-30s-40s-50s-and-60s

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #207 on: June 06, 2019, 10:12:34 AM »
@Atso
@belstone

I would heartily recommend this DVD to you both although the north east and eastern railways form only a part of the footage (which is excellent, by the way). You are both more educated than I on coach types so would get more from this than me............

https://www.videoscene.co.uk/steam-on-35mm-the-30s-40s-50s-and-60s

Thanks for that Mick, I'll certainly be looking to get hold of a copy!

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #208 on: June 06, 2019, 10:43:40 AM »
Hi Richard,

I think that any research is daunting but once youíve found that first bit of information, more follows (although not everything). When I first started looking into this, I couldnít believe just how much information was out there Ė the shear volume of it all became very daunting!

Regarding photographs of the grouping period, Iíve found quite a few images online that cover Hadley Wood or the surrounding area. Iíve also got the three volumes of the LNER Albums and a lot of other books Iíve picked up over the years. 1930ís photographs are actually quite common, however there was a tendency to ignore photographing the mundane (although they are there, if not in the same quantity).

Your Stanier twelve-wheel kitchen car sounds very interesting and Iím not surprised to read that it was included in a rake of MK1s. My understanding this that the early MK catering vehicles were a bit disappointing in their riding qualities and grouping designs were initially preferred. Certainly on the Eastern Region, Gresley catering vehicles continued to be used for some time; hence their being several 61í6Ē Buffet Cars in preservation.

Building coaches: Having experimented with 3D printing coaches, Iíve decided to design and etch these as (1) an long, open box, tends to warp, (2) I canít realistically print longer than a scale 56Ē and (3) I can make the glazing sit prototypically flush. Having seen what you are capable off, I have no doubt that you will be able to make a model that will more than hold its own again some Farish MK1s.

The LNER was always the poorest of the ďBig FourĒ and tended to replace only when necessary (unless it was a prestigious train) and cascade the displaced stock into lesser services. That said, Iíve now found an example of a couple of six-wheel thirds being marshalled into a formation running under express lights. While my choice does mean that Iíll have to build most of the stock (and locos!) myself and that makes this a long term project, the number of variations possible really do appeal to me.

Edit: I've just had a look at the LMS dining cars in my copy of Historic Carriage Drawings (Vol 2). While to the Period 2 flush sided design, they do have some interesting features (such as the ventilators) that would be best reproduced using an etch. Be glad you're not painting it in the first LMS livery - lining beading is relatively straightforward (if time consuming), lining that panel style onto a flush sided coach!  :goggleeyes: :goggleeyes:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 10:53:07 AM by Atso »

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #209 on: June 07, 2019, 12:03:22 AM »
I think you will enjoy this one:
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=45525.msg572208#msg572208
Old video of King's Cross and a4 Silver Fox in action...

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything