!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hadley Wood  (Read 17855 times)

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
Re: Hadley Wood
« Reply #255 on: December 09, 2019, 08:24:06 PM »

I think that this identifies that I'm going to need much more stock!  :o :smiley-laughing:

Have a look at the N'Porium, Steve ;)
OH, and your trackwork looks stunning :goggleeyes:

I may stand corrected here but isn't rule 2 that you can never have enough stock.
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #256 on: April 11, 2020, 06:34:27 PM »
Not much has happened with the layout since my last update. However, with my Cambridge set now as close to completion as I can make it until I can get hold of the last few bits and pieces (see below), I've turned my attention back to track building.

Several much needed straight lengths have now been produced but I've also been using my time to plan out which formations will likely run on Hadley Wood. This is complicated as I'm running from the early 1930's to the late 1930's and many of these trains got upgraded as better stock (very!) slowly became available. Therefore, even though I've moved my starting period back from 1932 to 1934, a compromise has been required for many of the sets.

I'm lucky that I've managed to source the GN Section Carriage Working Books for both 1935 and 1937 (they pop up on ebay every now and then). These documents give the official make up of the various trains running on the GN section, along some services that ran north of Leeds and York (the rest are covered in the ECML CWB which I don't yet have). While the type of coach, a running number, seating capacity and weight are listed, the actual carriage diagram is not. This has required further research identifying the diagrams from the numbers, a time consuming job for which my copy of Harris's 'LNER Carriages' has been indispensable as well as some help from some friends with knowledge of the pre-grouping stock.

Below is an example of the information listed in the CWBs (please let me know if this material is copyrighted).

This shows the kind of express services that travelled from Leeds to King's Cross in the 1930's. Portions arrived at Leeds and joined up with the main/core coaches to travel to King's Cross. You can also see that the formation changed depending on the day of the week - the Bradford and Halifax parts did not run on Saturdays. This resulted in the length varying between ten and thirteen coaches (not including any strengtheners added). All in all quite a complicated subject.

Anyway from this information, I've started putting together some of the sets I'd like to run and identifying plausible compromises to run in two different periods and which carriages can be omitted to keep lengths within the capabilities of the fiddle yard.

The first two formations here are the five carriage Cambridge Buffet set (as currently under construction) and the early morning buffet train to Doncaster and York. The Cambridge set runs as a fixed rake and undergoes no changes between its Down and Up workings. However, the Doncaster/York set is interesting as the two parts work their way back to King's Cross separately and end up mixing with several other secondary express sets - something I'm keen to replicate.

The first of two Leeds sets with Restaurant Cars. The real set could range between ten and twelve carriages plus any strengtheners required. Reality requires that I limit the rake to no more than ten carriages. I've also compromised with the set as several of the carriages changed between 1935 and 1937. This solution offers a good mix of pre-grouping, early LNER and later built LNER Gresley carriages. You may notice that the through portions change position between the Down and Up workings. This appears to be a common feature of the GN area expresses.

The second, longer Leeds set, which I'm still in the process of working out the compromises in stock to fairly represent both periods. While the official lists state that certain carriages must be used, practicalities dictated that this wasn't always possible and substitutions were common (as long as capacity wasn't affected).

The final two formations I've done so far. The Scarborough Flier/Flyer is a best guess at the earlier formation so that the twelve wheelers can been included. The Hull train on the other hand is easier as I've used the 1937 formations for both the Up and Down workings. The Hull train has a Cinema Car added for its return journey - converted from a Full Brake which will be identified by its 8'6 bogies, enlarged roof vents and roof name boards.

All in all, this has consumed quite a bit of time to work out so far, but has been fascinating and enjoyable few days. Not everyone's cup of tea, I realise but this is the kind of thing I've always wanted to replicate (albeit in a much reduced and simplified form).
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 06:36:26 PM by Stevie DC »

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #257 on: April 11, 2020, 06:49:30 PM »
Fascinating Steve, we had to do much the same with ours to get it right. That has taken several years to work out stuff and like us even though your modelling 1 particular location with through workings you basically end up with everything running from every location.

We have 4 down sections of the ACE and 4 up sections. Problem with that is it was different EVERY day, the SR had reams and reams of paperwork to plan movements and apparently "nowhere else on the network would this mass movement and amalgamation of coaches to form trains would it work but on the SR". But to get correct formation you end up working all the way to Bude, Ilfracombe, Torrington and Plymouth to make sure you get the correct train to form at Exeter Central to then race through us.

Like you say, time consuming but absolutely fascinating how it all worked out with times and locations.

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #258 on: April 11, 2020, 07:50:31 PM »
Fascinating Steve, we had to do much the same with ours to get it right. That has taken several years to work out stuff and like us even though your modelling 1 particular location with through workings you basically end up with everything running from every location.

We have 4 down sections of the ACE and 4 up sections. Problem with that is it was different EVERY day, the SR had reams and reams of paperwork to plan movements and apparently "nowhere else on the network would this mass movement and amalgamation of coaches to form trains would it work but on the SR". But to get correct formation you end up working all the way to Bude, Ilfracombe, Torrington and Plymouth to make sure you get the correct train to form at Exeter Central to then race through us.

Like you say, time consuming but absolutely fascinating how it all worked out with times and locations.

Yes, that sounds about right!  :D

It is a very similar situation out of King's Cross due to the bottlenecks between New Barnet and Potters Bar (quadrupled during the mid to late 1950's) and again over the Digswell viaduct near Welwyn Garden City (which remains only double tracked to this day). As a result, many of the expresses were made up of a core set for a main destination and one or more portions that would be separated at various locations such as Peterborough, Doncaster, Leeds and York to keep traffic levels down as much as possible. Likewise with many of the secondary services, the Doncaster/York buffet is part of an intricate set of workings involving 21 carriages over seven workings, all linked in some way.

In case anyone is interested (or still awake following my last post!  :smiley-laughing: ), there are over forty carriages required for the sets I've worked out and only eight of these can be represented by unmodified RTR items.  :o :o
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 07:55:51 PM by Stevie DC »

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #259 on: April 14, 2020, 12:38:41 AM »
Just a quick update to prove that some more track building has actually taken place!  ;D

A whole 3 meters of additional fiddle yard track...  :goggleeyes:

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #260 on: April 20, 2020, 11:14:22 AM »
Looking good.
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #261 on: April 20, 2020, 05:35:32 PM »
Looking good.

Thanks Darren. I stopped at just over 7 meters of straight track (or 1,500 solder joints!). After a bit of a break for a few days, I've just started the first batch of turnouts. I'll need twelve (six left and six right) for this stage of the build.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 05:37:07 PM by Stevie DC »

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #262 on: April 20, 2020, 10:47:22 PM »
After a day containing more than a few interruptions, here are the turnout's current condition.

Hopefully these four will be completed tomorrow.

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #263 on: April 23, 2020, 10:01:02 PM »
Well the first four turnouts took a little longer than I originally planned. However, this was due to rethinking the tie bars to hopefully ease stresses and prolong the periods between failures (if any).

Here is my solution.

A 3D printed tie bar. Resin prints are usually quite fragile and not great for mechanical components. However, I purchased a bottle of Siraya Blu resin which is much stronger and wear resistant to the more usual brands. It certainly withstands more abuse than the resin I use for detailed prints but is much more expensive.

The blades are now pivoted on brass dressmaker's pins.

The head of the pin traps the pivot and sits in a recess in the tie bar.

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #264 on: April 24, 2020, 12:08:39 AM »
Ingenious and well executed solution Steve, looks so neat too!

Roy

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #265 on: April 24, 2020, 08:28:22 AM »
That's very clever, Steve.

The ability of the pins to pivot is likely to be a helpful safeguard against failure.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #266 on: April 24, 2020, 09:51:51 AM »
Ingenious and well executed solution Steve, looks so neat too!

Roy

Wot Roy said

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #267 on: April 24, 2020, 08:30:00 PM »
Thanks guy, the real test will be when they're in place and connected to the servos!  :worried:

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #268 on: June 21, 2020, 01:33:23 PM »
Well with the current situation meaning that I am separated from the layout, I've not had much to post. I've been continuing to build track and periodically deliver this to my father. He's job is supposedly the electrics, but he has turned his hand to some track laying and has sent me a photo of the progress on board three.

Still plenty more track to make for the fiddleyard yet!  :doh: :doh:

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #269 on: June 23, 2020, 09:18:17 AM »
Some more track pieces have been delivered and I've received a couple more photos of them in place with the three boards temporarily put back together.

It is nice to see the loops completed, even if I wasn't able to lay those bits myself. The center two loops measure 6'7" in length which should equate to two 40+ wagon goods trains. The next two loops will take twelve coaches and the ones after that will take ten coaches. The outermost loops are service lines for the kickback sidings. Everything seen on the closest board in the second photos needs to be mirrored on board three. There is still a lot to do but the track laying of the fiddleyard is now around two thirds complete.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal