!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hadley Wood  (Read 12119 times)

Offline Stevie DC

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Hadley Wood
« Reply #210 on: June 07, 2019, 06:41:16 AM »
I think you will enjoy this one:
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=45525.msg572208#msg572208
Old video of King's Cross and a4 Silver Fox in action...

Thanks Darrwest, it is a very interesting film about the post war express. Some lovely interior shots of the buffet and dining cars.

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #211 on: June 07, 2019, 02:57:42 PM »
Happy Birthday Steve, by the way. As well as the timetables, did anyone get you another A4 to add to the collection?  ;)

PS - Here's a little something on track building for your next coffee break!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=45532.msg572328#msg572328
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 03:10:22 PM by DarrwestLU6 »

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #212 on: June 07, 2019, 04:57:45 PM »
Happy Birthday Steve, by the way. As well as the timetables, did anyone get you another A4 to add to the collection?  ;)

PS - Here's a little something on track building for your next coffee break!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=45532.msg572328#msg572328

Thank you!  :D

No A4s yesterday I'm afraid. I did get a 4F though (which will be used as a donor for another N2 eventually!). I also got drawings for various GNR and LNER carriages which will be put to good use when I have the time design some etches!

The track film is great! I'm glad I don't have to go through all of that to make up a crossing "v"!  ;D

A video for you of the Silver Jubilee express in the 1930's. The is even a scene shot at Hadley Wood at 1:53!  :claphappy:

https://www.huntleyarchives.com/preview.asp?image=1019580&itemw=4&itemf=0001&itemstep=1&itemx=41

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #213 on: June 08, 2019, 10:04:18 AM »
Glad you enjoyed it! And thank you for the film clip too. It was also interesting the see the special coaching stock it pulled - looked fantastic.

I found a great article on Wiki about this train from The Engineer September 1937 - attached.

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #214 on: June 08, 2019, 10:22:32 AM »
giving me something to read later whilst stuck waiting for the return train home- thanks for posting.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #215 on: June 10, 2019, 08:44:51 PM »
That is a fascinating film, Steve.

It must be one of the first colour films of a British railway scene.

Many thanks for posting the link.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #216 on: July 26, 2019, 06:11:40 PM »
There really hasn't been a lot of progress on the layout recently. This is partly due to waiting to see for some very hot weather to see how badly the trackwork expands and partly because I'd exhausted my stash of track!

I'm please to report that the track I've laid to date experienced no ill effects yesterday and that the pipe of copper clad straight track is slowly growing again. Here is how the layout currently looks.

As you can see, there has been a modest start make on laying board two's track. The track curving to the left presently terminates about two inches from what will eventually become the scenic section.

I've also made a couple of minor revisions to the track plan.

The key change is the addition of four kick-back sidings at the front of the layout. I added these to allow me to accommodate four principal express formations, two twelve carriage sets and two nine carriage sets. Originally, these were to be placed elsewhere but, having studied the working timetables, it became clear that I would need to devote that space to some other secondary trains. The front kick back sidings will be ultimately hidden in the cutting - which may need to have a very modest amount of artistic license applied as a result. Originally these were going to be loops, but that would have created more problems than it solved, as I want to be able to use set express in both directions.

The only other modification is to add a couple of loco holding areas for the rear kick-back sidings. The track plan uses Peco point templates, so is not a 100% accurate representation of the placement of everything. I've mocked up where the points will be and have confirmed that there is sufficient space for the formations and appropriate motive power.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 06:16:42 PM by Stevie DC »

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #217 on: July 26, 2019, 06:15:22 PM »
The track plan looks good and thanks for the photo steve. The heat does not help but glad the track is intact

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #218 on: July 26, 2019, 06:30:56 PM »
The track plan looks good and thanks for the photo steve. The heat does not help but glad the track is intact

Thanks, I can't wait to get the tracklaying done (in the next year or two!). I've very pleased (and relieved!) that the track has stood up to the high temperatures so well.

I've also been giving some thought to scale speeds. At 9' 2" between the tunnels, a loco travelling at 60 mph will be visible for a little over fifteen seconds. Having looked at some of the speed data collected by enthusiasts at the time, a Pacific hauled express should be able to manage between 60 mph and 70 mph on a Down train (rising gradient); depending on the loading. Atlantics and Moguls would have been slower on the same services with between 35 mph and 50 mph seeming to be typical. Up expresses, travelling down the gradient, would have managed faster speeds of between 60 mph and 80 mph, irrespective of motive power.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #219 on: July 26, 2019, 07:08:25 PM »
Very interesting, thank you, Steve.  GN 'Moguls' were very 'lively' riders.  60-80mph would have been fun for the chaps.  Was it the K2s that were called 'Ragtimers'?

This will be a fabulous layout and I really enjoy your posts.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #220 on: July 26, 2019, 07:15:49 PM »
Lner.info confirms k1 and k2 nicknames

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #221 on: July 26, 2019, 07:20:52 PM »
Very interesting, thank you, Steve.  GN 'Moguls' were very 'lively' riders.  60-80mph would have been fun for the chaps.  Was it the K2s that were called 'Ragtimers'?

This will be a fabulous layout and I really enjoy your posts.

Best wishes.

John

Indeed they were John. The K3s (more common on secondary expresses than the K2s by the 30's) got the nickname Jazzers partly because of their exhaust beat and partly because of the lively ride!

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #222 on: July 31, 2019, 05:19:08 PM »
Some more lengths of straight track have been soldered together and most have been laid down now. I'm now reaching the end of the second board!

The five Gresley coaches and three wagons are already getting a bit lost in the overall size of the fiddle yard. The center two loops will be able to hold fifteen coaches, or (more importantly) at least forty five coal wagons as well as a loco. Once I've replaced the Rapido couplings with my wire hook/loop arrangement, I'm hoping that the distance between the wagons will close up sufficiently to bring the total to fifty coal wagons. The next two loops will hold the equivalent to twelve coaches (plus loco) and the next two beyond that will hold nine (plus loco). The outermost loops will act as feed/holding lines for the kickback sidings.

You may notice that the loop (currently a siding) nearest to the camera isn't as long as the other seven lines. This is because it will have two turnouts that will feed the inner kickback sidings. These are currently being built as a single unit.

The red box below indicates where this will be located on the trackplan.

In case anyone is interested, I did some rough calculations to work out the number of solder joints in view. Not including the beginnings of the wiring, there are approximate 3,500 solder joins in view in the first picture!  :goggleeyes:

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #223 on: July 31, 2019, 05:53:23 PM »
thanks steve

looking good

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #224 on: July 31, 2019, 06:23:51 PM »
thanks steve

looking good

Thank you. Here is a view from the other end. The third (and final) board is just behind the camera.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything