!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hadley Wood  (Read 11326 times)

Offline Stevie DC

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Hadley Wood
« Reply #135 on: February 20, 2019, 06:28:36 PM »
I will bring order to the forum  >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

When will that be then???  :laughabovepost: :smiley-laughing: :laughabovepost: :smiley-laughing: :P

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #136 on: February 20, 2019, 06:52:26 PM »
I will bring order to the forum  >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

When will that be then???  :laughabovepost: :smiley-laughing: :laughabovepost: :smiley-laughing: :P

I'm working on it, I'm working on it  >:D >:D

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #137 on: February 20, 2019, 10:30:13 PM »

Well, judging by the way that threads always seem to manage to go seriously off-topic when we're both involved in the discussion, I'd say you need to work harder!  :P

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #138 on: February 20, 2019, 11:04:47 PM »

Well, judging by the way that threads always seem to manage to go seriously off-topic when we're both involved in the discussion, I'd say you need to work harder!  :P

Yes BOSS are you sure your not related to the DO ????

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #139 on: February 20, 2019, 11:12:01 PM »

Probably not, but nice to know I'm in good company!  ;)

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #140 on: February 20, 2019, 11:13:49 PM »

Probably not, but nice to know I'm in good company!  ;)

Hmmmm get back to modelling instead of picking on me  :'(

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #141 on: February 21, 2019, 06:30:10 PM »
Ok, I've colour coded some of the lines in the plan.

-The two blue loop lines are kept free for the sorting, arrivals and departures of trains from the kickback sidings.
-The six yellow loop lines are for through running trains - three of these lines will hold multiple trains while the other three will each hold a single, longer train.
-The green loops are for loco storage.
-The red lines are clear areas for use as head shunts or holding areas for train locomotives and yard shunters.
-Everything else is the fiddle yard is devoted to train formations, part formations and odd bits of stock.

Hopefully that helps make sense of what I'm trying to achieve...  :hmmm: :hmmm:
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 06:32:06 PM by Atso »

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #142 on: February 23, 2019, 05:43:50 PM »
Steve - I am really enjoying the thread, just caught up with it all. Amazing all that hand built track work!

What radius are the curves on the ends of the layout (just out of interest - I have so much fun re-engineering my curves now for Dapol steamers!).

I'd love to see it when completed if you exhibit it, looks like lots of fun! How's it getting on with track laying?

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #143 on: February 23, 2019, 10:00:11 PM »
Steve - I am really enjoying the thread, just caught up with it all. Amazing all that hand built track work!

What radius are the curves on the ends of the layout (just out of interest - I have so much fun re-engineering my curves now for Dapol steamers!).

I'd love to see it when completed if you exhibit it, looks like lots of fun! How's it getting on with track laying?

Thanks Darrwest, I'm glad your enjoying this.

The minimum radius is 12 inches (including the points) to play safe and give every loco and item of stock the best chance to make it around without incident.

Actual track laying (rather than just building) will hopefully start within the next month. This will obviously take a while to complete as I've got a lot more points to build - more time consuming but much, much cheaper! At the moment, as well as researching and building, trains that ran through Hadley Wood, I'm working out where I need to put isolations cuts in the rails of the two 'super scissor' crossings. Once that is done, I can start to lay the two loops that will be the heart of the layout.

All seems to be taking a long time, but I'm in no rush. Modelling an actual prototype involves a surprising amount of research, which I'm finding really enjoyable. Most certainly, it has changed some of the mis-conceptions I've held about what was happening on the LNER in the 1930's!

Is the last part of your user name part of a post code? I used to live in Houghton Regis (LU5) until a few years ago when I more back down into Hertfordshire. Such a shame they lifted the old disused branch line between Dunstable and Luton and turned it into a guided busway!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 10:02:38 PM by Atso »

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #144 on: March 01, 2019, 09:58:12 PM »
Right, this evening I finally cleared the baseboards of the rubbish that had accumulated on the, packed up some odd bits of stock and took apart the temporary Kato test track.

Following this, I started to plot out the positions of the points in the scenic area from a 1935 OS map I have as well as the positions of the 'super scissors' from the track plan. Once I done this, I got all of the track I've built to date and laid in in the approximate position they will be once fixed down.

This has been taken from the scenic side looking north towards Potters Bar.

While this view is looking South towards New Barnet and King's Cross.

The visible section of the layout between the tunnels has been reduced by 2 inches to 9'1", making it fractionally shorter than scale. However, this allows me to fit a couple of extra kickback sidings that will house portions of the GN and EC expresses that will be such a key feature of the layout.

While nothing has been fixed down, this feels like a major milestone has finally been reached in the project and this exercise has been extremely satisfying. However, it is also somewhat daunting looking at how quickly the layout has gobbled up the track I've made to date - only another 40 copper clad points to build! On the plus side, each of the points works out at around 10% of the cost of the equivalent Peco point, the layout wouldn't be financially viable if I was using Peco. 3.6 meters by 90 cm seems so small on the computer but so large when you look at it like this. There is a Gresley 61' teak on the layout - can you find it!?!  :o

I've got another five meters of Finetrax plain track to order and this will see the goods yard and non-scenic curves completed. I've decided to use Finetrax sleeper bases for all the plain track to provide some movement in the rails to allow for expansion. However, once past the curve, I'll be chopping the sleeper bases into batches of three sleepers and double spacing them to save a bit of money here - the additional code 40 rail will come from the 2mm Association as it is slightly cheaper than Finetrax.

Anyway, not a huge amount but proof that something is actually happening regarding the building of this layout! ;D

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: March 02, 2019, 07:18:22 AM »
 :beers:

Great to see this come to life Steve

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #146 on: March 02, 2019, 08:47:18 AM »
This looks splendid, Steve.

It's on the Down line at the north end of the station platforms!

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #147 on: March 02, 2019, 09:18:18 AM »
Thanks guys! It really is just a few bits of track laid on top of the boards at the moment but to me it is the first time I've been able to visualise how the layout will look in the real world.

I was going to solder up a couple more points today. Unfortunately, the 2mm Association sent me flat bottom rail instead of bullhead in my last order by mistake. As filing the foot off the rails isn't appealing, I've contacted the Association and requested some guidance on how to exchange these. As shame as I've got some spare Finetrax sleeper bases that I could have knocked up too but the flat bottom rail won't fit that. A setback, but only a temporary one!

John: You've found it and, amazingly, identified its location on the layout correctly! :claphappy: It really looks tiny and lost on the layout and I suspect that once the scenery is in place, you wouldn't be able to see it from that position as the bridge and station building would obscure it. Luckily it will end up in eight to fourteen carriage formations which will be a lot more prominent!  :D

While on the subject of the Down line, I've been looking over some of the recorded speeds taken by enthusiasts of the time. As the line had an up gradient as far as Potters Bar, express speeds were understandably slower on the Down line. K2/K3 haulage would typically be down to between 35-45 mph through this section while A1/A3s would be around 45-55 mph (A4s would fare better) - I'm looking for an example for the Atlantics but I suspect they'd be around the same as a K3 on a heavy train. The Up line on the other hand would see some fast running! Yet more to consider when I'm finally at the point where I can operate the layout.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #148 on: March 02, 2019, 10:54:11 AM »
I spotted the coach, eventually.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #149 on: March 02, 2019, 10:59:07 AM »
I spotted the coach, eventually.

Yes, it is difficult isn't it!  ;D I was worried that at only 3.6 meters by 90 cm (I had to order metric boards) with only 19-20 inches between the front of the board and the back scene, the layout would be too small for the kinds of trains I plan to run. I don't think I need to have worried. The fact that the distance between the tunnels is only around 24' short of scale length, the fact that a longer train will occupy around two thirds (or more!) of the scenic section is entirely prototypical for the location.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £51.00
Below Goal: £49.00
Site Currency: GBP
51% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything