!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Upperton - Restoring to Exhibit  (Read 1161 times)

Online RailGooner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: Upperton - Restoring to Exhibit
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2018, 09:55:44 PM »
 :toot: Congratulations on the milestone of (re)linking all the boards! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I think it's great that you reintroduced Alan and the layout. I hope the other builder gets to see it too - research suggests that visual memory stimuli are very beneficial for dementia patients.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 09:57:05 PM by RailGooner »
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline Upperton

• N Gauge Society Number: 27844
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 06:38:21 AM »
We had a good weekend soldering, testing, re-soldering, testing and managed to get 90% of the layout front operational again. Most of the inner loop fiddle yard is active too, so were able to achieve the goal of getting a lap on that loop. Getting the outer line running was a nice additional bonus and surprised a few people last night.

The twitter poll deciding the inaugural service was a tie between a Class 37 and a Bullied Merchant Navy. Unfortunately the Bullied decided not to get up to steam and had to be replaced by a Crompton.

The layout was taken down last night and we will work on scenery over the next few months, the local standard is set at the highest bar as Upperton lives a couple of miles from Wrenton.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 07:20:02 AM »
Just caught up with this! Truly a saga!  :thumbsup:

As one facing a fairly big renovation myself, this is most interesting. A very, very impressive job so far.  :thumbsup:

And yes, NPN, I did indeed enjoy the BP clips!  :beers:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 07:21:36 AM by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Drakken

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Building Llanrumney
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2018, 02:55:49 PM »
Absolutely loved reading this thread ( Yes another dug up thread I guess ) But nice to see a layout being rebuilt rather than scrapped dismantled and forgotten. Gem of a layout :beers:

Any more updates available?

Kind Regards

Offline Upperton

• Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2018, 08:34:47 PM »

Any more updates available?

Kind Regards

There has been some progress since the big link up in the summer. There are some more pictures/videos on our twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/EastbourneModel/media?lang=en

Since it all came back down again we have been getting on with some more scenery work. The layout has also been listed on East Grinstead's MRC Exhibition for next March http://www.egmrc.org.uk/exhibiti.htm

So the jobs for the next few months will be focusing on getting ready for public display again. We still have some point motors that needs wiring in sequence, the outer loop fiddle yard need's recommissioning and we need to upgrade the lighting rig with some modern LEDs or such like.

The Golf Course on the right-hand side of the layout had a little attention and saw around 50 tree's planted. Still need to populate it with a few golfers and make a flag for the 18th green.

The terraced housing overlooking the station had the gardeners in this summer too.

This board (the one that was never recovered) is being worked on at the moment. Still awaiting point motors sorting before ballasting, which will be no doubt be hastily laid the night before the exhibition  :unimpressed:  :no:

Offline Drakken

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Building Llanrumney
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2018, 10:10:34 AM »
Wow what a transformation you've done, Never seen a layout with a golf course something you definitely don't see everyday. Totally stunning into the work that has been put into reviving the layout. I sure will look forward to seeing this personally when it's ready to be displayed.

The weathering on the on the brickwork lineside & transition from greenery to ballast it's just right :beers:

Thank you for taking the time to update the thread

Offline Upperton

• Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2019, 08:16:25 PM »
A little more progress to report:

This is the outer loop fiddle yard. It is 16 foot long, divided into 2, 8 foot collapsible sections for ease of transportation. This was constructed a few years after the layout was built, to house much more stock on each loop plus allowing room for 14 car Eurostars that used to run straight through Upperton 20 years ago - a hypothetical South-West Coast to Continental Europe service.

Each track section between board joins is isolated, coupled with most of the wires broken at some point or other from rodent damage in storage, made it a fun few hours mating everything back to the control panel - via several plugs across where it needs separating  :doh: However, my test Class 25 trundled up each road from either controller and could be isolated in each section, so job done  :claphappy:

The other main job was getting the electrics/point motors all wired in on the new board (replacing the one that was never recovered).  Once all working, it was ballasted. There's still some scenic work to be finished on this board, but it's 90% complete now and ready to be linked up and sandwiched next to it's much older/traveled brothers.

The right-hand side is currently set up in our club room. We also salvaged the lighting post's for the layout. These needed rewiring but we were able to find some LED bulbs that screw into the original fixings. Under the lights, and wearing its show skirt, it's looking quite smart - better than being in a skip at least.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 09:33:05 PM by Upperton »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2019, 11:06:28 AM »
The restoration is coming on a treat and I think this is going to be a cracker of a layout. Being where I am it's a shame I'll have to make do with pics and vids (hint, hint) ;)

Offline Upperton

• Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2019, 08:57:13 PM »
We plan to have it united as full layout several times over the next few months, quite looking forward to having a good operating session after all these years. We'll ensure we take enough snaps and video's towards putting together a virtual exhibition for you.

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £300.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £315.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
105% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
anything