!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol A4  (Read 79611 times)

Offline Elvinley

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Dapol A4
« Reply #225 on: August 17, 2012, 02:43:02 PM »
Similarly, none of my 15 Farish tender drive locos have ever shed a tyre, and most of them are impeccable runners.

Offline Les1952

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9060
    • Awards
« Reply #226 on: August 17, 2012, 06:59:26 PM »

There's something fundamentally wrong that yours keep shedding tyres. I've got 6 Jubs, 3 Scots, 2 B1s, 2 A1s and none of them have ever shed a tyre under any circumstance. Even during haulage tests of my Jubs, towing 35 coaches.

Plus spares are readily available for the LMS locos and no doubt will be made available for the others in due course.

Cheers,
Alan
I didn't say "keep" shedding.  I've lost a total of two- with neither loco pushed by hand- ever.   Both locos have exhibition use and therefore generated comparatively high mileage.  However, (to return more to topic),  as with Dapol A4s, you will find modellers with no faults and those with many.  I haven't enquired about spares recently- when my Black 5 shed its tyre I phoned Barwell about purchasing spares to be told that replacement tyres weren't available. 

All the very best
Les

Offline Elvinley

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #227 on: August 17, 2012, 07:33:29 PM »
The traction tyres are available in packs at many Farish suppliers. The Jubilee ones are ok for the Black 5s.

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #228 on: August 17, 2012, 10:13:01 PM »
Hi Les

I am a little confused. If you have lost "only" two, I do not really understand why you have made such a point about Farish locos shedding tyres?

Personally I know plenty of people with Farish tender driven locos, and hardly any have reported loss of tyres being any big problem at all.

If you want some Jub ones for your Black Five try Hattons: -

http://www.ehattons.com/23888/Graham_Farish_379_420_Jubilee_tender_traction_tyres_Pack_of_10/StockDetail.aspx

On the general issue of failures, for sure it is highly unlikely that any manufacturer be it Kato, Dapol or whoever will be able to produce a whole batch of models bereft of any failures whatsoever without 100% testing (not going to happen).

Some models like the Dapol B1, A4 do appear to have a fair number of issues reported, but inexplicably then their A3 with a very similar chassis to the A4 has had barely a peep of a problem by comparison. Personally I think the A3 is Dapol's best steam loco to date by a clear country mile.

Then we have the BachFarish WD reported elsewhere. There are a goodly number out there by now (even some the other side of the world now) and yet the forums remain virtually silent as regards any adverse issues.

I would like to think that matters will continue to improve as manufacturers "design out" potential causes of failure, as I see it the Farish WD and hopfully Standard Five which is of the same design are very positive steps in that direction.

Regards

Roy
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 10:19:15 PM by Roy L S »

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #229 on: August 18, 2012, 01:07:09 AM »
I am a little confused. If you have lost "only" two, I do not really understand why you have made such a point about Farish locos shedding tyres?

I'd have to agree with Roy here - I didn't realise it was so few given how often the point's been made on many different lists.

By comparison I've just received another Dapol A4 and A3 from someone requesting their overhaul and general improvement if possible. Both are dogs of runners - the A3 completely died after 20 minutes  ??? - the cause was a partly missing motor brush spring  :o  :confused1: (only half of it there, so as the brush started to bed in it lost electrical contact with the commutator completely!). Both two have terribly poor pickup, noisy.

That's 5 I've seen now - 2 A3s, 3 A4s and all have been identically bad in terms of pickup, which confirms to me it's a serious design flaw.

So I wouldn't agree that the A3 has had less problems - I've seen all the same issues with both A3 and A4. The chassis is basically mechanically identical.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #230 on: August 18, 2012, 09:59:47 AM »
Hi Alan

As regards the A3, I appreciate the chassis are all but identical with the A4. My comments about lack of failures was somewhat unscientific and base only on a relatively low volume of people feeding back issues on this Fourm and others. That said I do note that since I made the initial observation further issues have been reported on the A3 thread here.

As regards the tender pickup design, I cannot really understand why Dapol did not continue to use very effective pinpoint axle pickups on three of the four and allow the fourth (rearmost) to float laterally to acommodate sharp curves. Maybe they looked at the concept of bushed axle current collection (which depends on a far greater contact area to be reliable?) applied that to the system used and found it to work ok for them?

My locos still remain free of the problems you have reported thus far, after a fair number of hours of running in the case of one of my Lembergs and the A4 "Wild Swan" too - no problems with stalling or surging. If it is an inherent design problem as you suggest, the only reason I can think for that is that my track is reasonably well laid and what pointwork there is pretty undemanding..

That said I rarely clean the track :confused1:

Regards

Roy

Offline Donkey

• N Gauge Society Number: 22825
    • Awards
« Reply #231 on: August 26, 2012, 12:36:42 AM »
Picked up my new Dapol Modellbahn Union A4 Mallard from the Post Office today. Chipped and oiled her and ran her in for half an hour each way at low speed. I must say that she ran excellent straight from the word go and slow speed control is superb! I have now got my grandson to bed so have got a chance to do some more playing testing. She makes light work of my 1 in 30 incline with five Gresley teaks (layout size limits length of trains). She negotiates all pointwork and curves faultlessly but is still a little bit noisy. I expect this to improve with running. I think she looks beautiful and so far is running very well  :)

Marty

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #232 on: August 26, 2012, 02:33:53 PM »
Looks lovely, Marty :thumbsup: Bet you're well pleased :D

Offline Ollie3440

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18238
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • The Fiddle Yard
    • Awards
« Reply #233 on: August 26, 2012, 03:24:42 PM »
Having seen the image above i couldn't help but think of this..

Lets see.....im going to sell my 4mt to try fund it, that should me around the halfway mark....so....its gonna cost me...£475?

Surely it'd be a hell of alot cheaper to buy one of these limited edition mallards and either re-number it yourself or get someone to do it for you?
Also what if in the near future Dapol want to produce Gresley in it's br blue livery? Your model will drastically be reduced in value as it won't be unique.

Oh and to drag up an old issue about the silver link in a bookset, at work we have never been sent or heard anything of the sort from Dapol (and we're in contact with them most days!)

Ollie
Hi I'm Ollie, and I'm a addicted to buying MK1s......

My Previous Exhibition Layout - The Sheaf Valley Railway
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24.0

My Current Exhibition Layout - Wenlock
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23228.0

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #234 on: August 26, 2012, 03:31:18 PM »
Oh and to drag up an old issue about the silver link in a bookset, at work we have never been sent or heard anything of the sort from Dapol (and we're in contact with them most days!)

I think (and I might be wrong) that Silver Link is planned to be released only to members of Dapol's Club. It would be great if SL is to be released on general sale (with valances, hint hint!  ;) )

Offline Ollie3440

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18238
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • The Fiddle Yard
    • Awards
« Reply #235 on: August 26, 2012, 03:35:29 PM »

I think (and I might be wrong) that Silver Link is planned to be released only to members of Dapol's Club. It would be great if SL is to be released on general sale (with valances, hint hint!  ;) )

You are correct that it is a Club model only.

Ollie
Hi I'm Ollie, and I'm a addicted to buying MK1s......

My Previous Exhibition Layout - The Sheaf Valley Railway
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24.0

My Current Exhibition Layout - Wenlock
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23228.0

Offline Donkey

• N Gauge Society Number: 22825
    • Awards
« Reply #236 on: August 26, 2012, 06:25:13 PM »
Looks lovely, Marty :thumbsup: Bet you're well pleased :D
Thrilled to bits with her thanks  :D Wonder if I could talk SWMBO into a nice BR green Bittern or Dwight D Eisenhower  :hmmm:

Marty

Offline portland-docks

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22291
  • give me a black 5 anyday!
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Moorside Valley Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #237 on: August 29, 2012, 03:59:01 PM »
Im defo getting one of those, and im going to get tmc at beck hole to rename and renumber it for a cost of £40, then thats our flagship loco. Next after that is eric treacy and the green knight
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

Offline 5690

• Shovelling white steam over her shoulder...
    • Facebook
    • The Hive Doctor Who Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #238 on: September 08, 2012, 01:02:39 PM »
I'm after getting Wild Swan but everywhere is out of stock - anybody know if more are on the way?

Offline Les1952

• N Gauge Society Number: 9060
    • Awards
« Reply #239 on: September 08, 2012, 02:55:00 PM »
I'm after getting Wild Swan but everywhere is out of stock - anybody know if more are on the way?

Despite everything that has been said here and elsewhere punters have voted with their wallets.  Next late crest double-chimneyed one is Sir Charles Newton.  No idea when it will arrive- the second pair of BR green A3s have been here the best part of a month.....

Good news is that plates are readily available for all A4s and the Dapol A4 isn't difficult to renumber- the numbers are about the same level of difficulty to remove as the BachFar (I had one of each on the workbench at the same time doing them....)

All the very best
Les

Before anyone who knows me says "but you sold all your Farish A4s" I did, then got this one for £8 with only the tender coupling missing- it is for weathering demonstrations.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal