!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol A4  (Read 82183 times)

Offline Bikeracer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21763
    • Awards
Re: Dapol A4
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2012, 01:05:56 PM »

That would be the Farish that since Bachmann bought the company don't carry any spares either?? ::)

Both work in exactly the same way, by canabalising returned items that are beyond-repair to give a stock of parts to repair others. If Dapol have less parts available through this procedure it actually means there must be fewer Dapol locos being returned!! (so your experience is an argument in favour of Dapol...)

That only ever applied to Motor Vehicles, there has never been any such law for toys...

BR lines carry Farish spares but struggle to get Dapol ones.

Dapol cannibalising  returns is probably why retailers are complaining about them losing returned locos.

The law about carrying spares applied to other manufacturers besides car makers.

Allan
I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2012, 01:38:08 PM »

Dapol cannibalising  returns is probably why retailers are complaining about them losing returned locos.

Sorry to burst your bubble but BR lines also struggle to get spare parts for new Farish and Paul (PLD) is right that Farish also cannibalise returns...

Cheers, Mike

Offline Paul B

• N Gauge Society Number: 19167
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2012, 07:17:55 PM »

That would be the Farish that since Bachmann bought the company don't carry any spares either?? ::)

Both work in exactly the same way, by canabalising returned items that are beyond-repair to give a stock of parts to repair others. If Dapol have less parts available through this procedure it actually means there must be fewer Dapol locos being returned!! (so your experience is an argument in favour of Dapol...)

That only ever applied to Motor Vehicles, there has never been any such law for toys...

The law about carrying spares applied to other manufacturers besides car makers.

Allan

Probably why my repaired Dapol B17 came back from BR Lines having been repaired with Dapol B1 parts?
LNER (and PKP) fan in the home of the GWR!

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+57)
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2012, 09:53:56 PM »

Dapol dump a lot of their stuff as "NQP" at factory open days once annually I think. There's plenty of returns - you only had to look on ebay after the last open day for the tranches of "Non-runner" Dapol models. In fact, one particular seller is still selling them off, months later......

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline GWR-Kris

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2012, 11:17:47 AM »
when do dapol usally hold these open days.

Offline Elvinley

• YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards

Offline Stevie DC

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2012, 01:56:46 PM »
I think that Dapol need to check their information more closely! This loco was not named Wild Swan, this one could only be Elvis!  ;D

Offline Elvinley

• YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2012, 01:58:03 PM »
It's so wrong.

Offline railwaysymphony

• My Blog - including some of my train photos
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2012, 02:07:44 PM »
Elvis even has a twin in Silver Fox!!

One can only hope that the folks at Hattons simply managed to forget to remove a piece of packaging when they took their photos!

I really need to put one of these on my agenda for this year! Bugger the new car :p

Online Wayne Kinney

• Advertiser
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17722
  • 2mm Association Number: 4584
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2012, 04:02:19 PM »
Hi Guys,

Received my A4 'Wild Swan' from hattons today, wow this model is superbly detailed, even without the extras fitted. Even comes with a pair of their new 'kadee' style couplers...cool! :)
Thanks,
Wayne.

------------

www.britishfinescale.com - Home of fiNetrax Code 40 Track System

Offline Elvinley

• YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2012, 04:42:48 PM »
How does it run Wayne?

Online Wayne Kinney

• Advertiser
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17722
  • 2mm Association Number: 4584
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2012, 07:59:21 PM »
Hi,

I seem to have the 'collectors' bug, as I have about 8 new locos that I've bought but never run ;)

I will open the regulator at the weekend and let you know, but man, she's a beaut!
Thanks,
Wayne.

------------

www.britishfinescale.com - Home of fiNetrax Code 40 Track System

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+57)
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2012, 09:09:25 AM »
Having now seen the pictures on Hattons it's finally become clear what's makes this loco look wrong - something has been bugging me with it. The cylinders are way, way too large (vertically) probably because their underside is incorrectly shaped.

They drop down far too low giving the whole front end a very heavy sagging look. Looking at pictures it's clear that the cylinders on the real locos stop well above the centre of the bogie wheel axle, and curve notably round on their underside. Dapol's are straight up and down, and come much lower - nearly down to the height of the axle on the bogie.

Worse, I do wonder if the front valance under the buffers may not then be the right shape to match the cylinders.

Compare
http://www.freefoto.com/preview/809-14-4874/LNER-Class-A4-4498-Sir-Nigel-Gresley

with

http://www.ehattons.com/47706/Dapol_Model_Railways_ND128B_A4_class_steam_locomotive_and_tender_60017_Silver_Fox_in_BR_lined_green_with_ear/StockDetail.aspx

I think they should be modifiable (though it will accentuate the valve gear being low which may force a mod on that too), but if the front end is wrong that could be a deal breaker.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Elvinley

• YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2012, 09:27:04 AM »
Hi,

I seem to have the 'collectors' bug, as I have about 8 new locos that I've bought but never run ;)

I will open the regulator at the weekend and let you know, but man, she's a beaut!

I'd get testing pretty quickly then Wayne!

Offline Elvinley

• YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2012, 09:32:26 AM »
Having now seen the pictures on Hattons it's finally become clear what's makes this loco look wrong - something has been bugging me with it. The cylinders are way, way too large (vertically) probably because their underside is incorrectly shaped.

They drop down far too low giving the whole front end a very heavy sagging look. Looking at pictures it's clear that the cylinders on the real locos stop well above the centre of the bogie wheel axle, and curve notably round on their underside. Dapol's are straight up and down, and come much lower - nearly down to the height of the axle on the bogie.

Worse, I do wonder if the front valance under the buffers may not then be the right shape to match the cylinders.

Compare
http://www.freefoto.com/preview/809-14-4874/LNER-Class-A4-4498-Sir-Nigel-Gresley

with

http://www.ehattons.com/47706/Dapol_Model_Railways_ND128B_A4_class_steam_locomotive_and_tender_60017_Silver_Fox_in_BR_lined_green_with_ear/StockDetail.aspx

I think they should be modifiable (though it will accentuate the valve gear being low which may force a mod on that too), but if the front end is wrong that could be a deal breaker.

Cheers,
Alan

Didn't you mention previously that they are covering over A3 cylinders Al? If so, maybe that is why they are so overscale.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal