!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol A4  (Read 75857 times)

Offline Stevie DC

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Dapol A4
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2012, 04:23:32 PM »
OK - me & Paul B - any more ???

I know he won't do it for just 2 !

Mike

Hi Mike,

I might be interested. How would these be produced?

Offline MikeDunn

• N Gauge Society Number: 21391
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2012, 05:10:32 PM »
At this point : brass kit form, and probably white metal bogeys (tbd, this part); it's unlikely (but not impossible) he'll do 3D printing at some future stage.  But his kits for the SJ (from my research) seem to be the most accurate that are available.  The more interest I can show him, the better our chances of getting a run in N, as he's done all the hard work for OO; it's just scaling down & then getting the first set of frets made (always the most expensive part).

I've just started making his OO version of the rake, carriages A & B (first class) to start off with, and they're nice :)  As there is a slight change in 1938 (from 7 carriages to 8 - new carriage F with the previous F becoming G, thus turning the double into a triple), I'll be making two of the last carriage as well as the new intermediate (if that makes sense  ???); this will let me run both versions of the SJ service.

Once I've done this, I'll probably be buying his West Riding carriages  :smiley-laughing:.  And if SWMBO can define the beavertail in 3D, I'll do a Coronation set (same carriages as the WR, but with the Observation car)  :thumbsup:.  There are some very nice depictions of all three of these sets on http://www.elegantsteam.com/lner_streamlined_trains.html

Mike

PS - he also takes commissions for building/painting kits  :P

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2012, 06:34:37 PM »
At this point : brass kit form, and probably white metal bogeys (tbd, this part);

For N I' do wonder if it would be better to use nickel silver from a painting point of view. It makes it possible to paint the sides and then just rub the paint off raised window frames to get the nice shiny metal look.

For bogies it will depend on your year, but for the 8'6" bogies there are a variety available including the Dapol ones.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline MikeDunn

• N Gauge Society Number: 21391
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2012, 06:54:06 PM »
Well, at this point it's all moot - unless there is enough interest to him, he won't do it ...

If there is, then we will be able to ask for a suitable medium ...

Mike

Offline Mike J

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2012, 07:47:03 PM »
My Silver Jubilee set.http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/857-silver-fox-on-line/

The old Farish A4 is going to be replaced by the new Dapol version when the valanced ones are released.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 08:33:22 AM by Mike J »
Duchesses are red, A4s are blue,
126 for the A4, The Duchess couldn't do

Offline Mike J

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2012, 08:08:07 PM »
Even if someone managed to build a set of articulated stock, it makes you wonder what minimum radius curves it would negotiate ??? ???

12" radius with the articulated section stretched from a scale 2mm to 4mm. I reckon I could have got it down to 3mm but was being a little over cautious.
Mike

Offline Elvinley

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2012, 07:23:24 PM »
Just seen the photos of this loco on RMWeb. It looks amazing - really hope it is a good runner.

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2012, 07:27:37 PM »
Likewise, just seen the pics on RMWeb of the new Dapol A4, looks stunning.

Now the question is - is there any way other than Rule 1 that I can justify running one of these on my (G)WR/SR layout with perhaps a rake of crimson and custard coaches?

TIA
Caz   

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2012, 08:23:59 PM »
Hi caz,

PM sent :wave:

Online captainelectra

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Electra Rail
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2012, 09:41:50 PM »
Now the question is - is there any way other than Rule 1 that I can justify running one of these on my (G)WR/SR layout with perhaps a rake of crimson and custard coaches?

Locomotive exchanges? Just say that the Southern were so impressed with the A4, they didn't give it back!  ;D
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Electra Rail
Peterborough, UK
http://www.electrarail.co.uk
Flick Site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27017199@N07/

Offline Bikeracer

• N Gauge Society Number: 21763
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2012, 07:39:43 AM »
I've been looking at the pictures of the new Dapol A4 and it really does look very nice,however,until Dapol abandon their company policy of not carrying any spares in case of an accident or damage I'll wait to see what Farish bring out.

Allan
I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

Offline Mike J

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2012, 09:49:50 AM »
IMHO this is a superb model and Dapol should be congratulated. There is a virtually endless list of improvements over the now elderly Farish version which I won't go into here. Suffice it to say, I am happy with this model on the whole.
However, my two biggest concerns regarding the overall look of the model are the huge lip around the chimney, which I guess is a legacy of having double and single chimney versions and the massive missing piece of buffer beam once the front coupling has been removed.
I can appreciate the need to include a front coupler, but I suspect that the majority of people will remove it as being unnecessary and unsightly.
I think it would have been better that a retro fit buffer beam option in the add on pack, or that the front coupler be omitted altogether.
As I plan to buy a few of these otherwise superb models, some work in this area will be required.
I wonder what other people think about this and whether Dapol will make this alternative when the run of valanced versions is produced.
Otherwise, nice one Dave, you'll be getting a few hundred of my "hard earned!"
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 12:49:34 PM by Mike J »

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2012, 10:57:22 AM »
until Dapol abandon their company policy of not carrying any spares in case of an accident or damage I'll wait to see what Farish bring out.

If Dapol' products break due to manufacturing/design faults Dapol till have an obligation to repair it for much longer than the 6 month warranty.  I am not sure that Dapol are much different to Farish in many respects as it is difficult to get hold of spares for many new Farish locos.

On waiting for Farish - you might be waiting a while given that it isn't in their recently announced plans for the next 18 months...

Offline Bikeracer

• N Gauge Society Number: 21763
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2012, 01:47:41 PM »

If Dapol' products break due to manufacturing/design faults Dapol till have an obligation to repair it for much longer than the 6 month warranty.  I am not sure that Dapol are much different to Farish in many respects as it is difficult to get hold of spares for many new Farish locos.

On waiting for Farish - you might be waiting a while given that it isn't in their recently announced plans for the next 18 months...

That's fair comment,but as I posted...in the case of accident or damage there are no spares and TBH I'm not sure they can fulfil their obligation to repair if they have no spares.
I've personally spoken to two retailers recently and they despair of Dapol losing locos sent back and no replacement in the offing either,one retailer said that they're probably only going to carry rolling stock in future.
I'll wait for Farish if it means I can get spares when I break something.

Not sure if it still applies,but the law was that manufacturers had to carry spares for their products for ten years.

Allan
I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2012, 09:06:07 AM »
I've been looking at the pictures of the new Dapol A4 and it really does look very nice,however,until Dapol abandon their company policy of not carrying any spares in case of an accident or damage I'll wait to see what Farish bring out.
That would be the Farish that since Bachmann bought the company don't carry any spares either?? ::)

Both work in exactly the same way, by canabalising returned items that are beyond-repair to give a stock of parts to repair others. If Dapol have less parts available through this procedure it actually means there must be fewer Dapol locos being returned!! (so your experience is an argument in favour of Dapol...)

Not sure if it still applies,but the law was that manufacturers had to carry spares for their products for ten years.
That only ever applied to Motor Vehicles, there has never been any such law for toys...

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal