!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Shrewford, BR Sectorisation 1986-88  (Read 17835 times)

Offline 1977joey

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Shrewford, BR Sectorisation 1986-88
« on: April 06, 2018, 08:51:51 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Well after a bit of an absence, i thought it time i started a new thread. I have been working on the revised version of Shrewford after the spare room in which it is housed has benefitted from being redecorated which was much needed, plus the baseboards strengthened after some slight warping.

The baseboard is 8 feet x 2 feet 8 inches.

The main feature is the station which has 7 Platforms, I have based this on the actual platform layout of Shrewsbury station, though the rest is a fictional representation of the area.

Platforms 1 & 2 are disused bay platforms. Platform 3 is mainly a north bound platform mainly used by services to Chester via Wrexham. Platforms 4, 5, 6 & 7 are the large island platform. Platform 4 is the main bi directional Platform, though in practice is mainly used by north bound services to Chester, Crewe, Manchester or Liverpool. Some Cambrian line services also reverse on this Platform. Platforms 5 & 6 are the bays, for services to/from the West midlands, the cambrian lines to Aberystwyth & Pwllheli & also the heart of wales line services to swansea. Platform 7, also bi directional, but mainly used by south bound services to the West Midlands, London, Cardiff & the south of england.

Being a secondary main line station, most services are Provincial operated (The old name for Regional Railways) tho there is roughly a 2 hour InterCity service to/from London Euston, with one in each direction going to/from Aberystwyth. The First Class & Buffet is detached at Shrewford for the journey to the coast & re attached in the opposite direction. Class 37/4's normally work this train forward from Shrewford. There are also extra summer saturdays loco hauled 'InterCity' services on the cambrian line including the 'Snowdonian' to Pwllheli.

The Welsh Marches line (provincial operated) between Cardiff & South wales and Crewe, Manchester, Liverpool & North Wales are mainly in the hands of loco hauled stock, so these range from Class 33's (as was in 1986) to 37's, 47's & even the occasional Class 50 can put in an appearance. The layout is based pre summer 1988 timetable so before the Class 155's were introduced. There is also the stopping DMU or Class 150/2 that operates between Shrewford & Cardiff that supplements this service as well as the local DMU service to Crewe.

The West midlands local services are DMU's & the 'New' Class 150 'Sprinter's, & the Cambrian line services apart from the loco hauled one's mentioned above are exclusively operated by Class 150 sprinters.   

I have also extended (with modellers licence) the London Paddington to Wolverhampton service through to Shrewford to run regular Class 50's & also, as an excuse to run a HST, the Liverpool to Plymouth Intercity 125 runs via Shrewford.

Freightwise the regular steel coil trains between Margam/Llanwern to Shotton/Dee Marsh or Ravenscraig pass through or change train crews at Shrewford. Also the weekly Stanlow to Aberystwyth petroleum train does the same. I'm yet to get a representation of the Bescot to Penyfordd cement tanks once something ideal becomes available.

There is a representation of Severn Bridge Signal box at the south end of the station, tho this is called 'Shrewford no 1' . The signalling on the station is all none working, & is of the colour light variety. Also the layout is simply DC operated, with isolated sections of track in the bay platforms & holding sidings to hold more that one loco or DMU. There is also track I can isolate in the through Platforms so as I can divide or join up units in the station.

At the south end rather than the massive junction at Shrewsbury, the tracks bend round to a tunnel mouth under where 'Shrewford Abbey stands. It is imagined the other end of this tunnel is the Junction for the lines to the West Midlands & on to South Wales (Shrewford south junction) ..in reality, it's the entrance to the storage roads.

1st up is the revised plan of Shrewford

The track plan in place

& finally a drawing of mine dating back from 1999 of the first Central Trains liveried Class 158 at Shrewsbury that now hangs above Shrewford

Cheers for now :)
Mark
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 10:37:25 PM by 1977joey »

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: Shrewford Mk2 N gauge, BR Sectorisation 1986-88
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 08:32:46 AM »
That looks a fantastic layout, Mark.  The signal box is a super feature.  Is it bi-directional running on both the Up and Down lines?

Excellent drawing as well.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 09:31:29 AM »
@Train Waiting
Here's a pic of the real monster, John

Offline 1977joey

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 01:19:57 PM »
That looks a fantastic layout, Mark.  The signal box is a super feature.  Is it bi-directional running on both the Up and Down lines?

Excellent drawing as well.

Best wishes.

John

Many thanks John  :thankyousign:,

Yes both lines will operate as bi directional if required, though in main practice Platform 7 is mainly for south bound services. Platform 4 while being mainly north bound has some London & Cambrian line services reverse there.

Hope this helps :)

Cheers,
Mark
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 01:46:43 PM by 1977joey »

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 02:04:09 PM »

Here's a pic of the real monster, John

Many thanks, Mick.  Just think what the locking must be like!

I expect that there are a lot of white levers nowadays...

Thanks again.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline 1977joey

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 08:04:07 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Over the last week or so I've managed to get the platforms constructed. I've always used the metcalf one's as they're solid once done, tho this pack I've not been too impressed with the adesive flagstone platform edging which has been lifting since it's been added on, so will have to glue it down in places.

Now all the main work is out the way such as the track plan, track pinned down & platforms are now done, I can start work on the platform canopies.

Here is how it looks as of today...

Still lots to do before proper train running can commence ha!

Cheers,
Mark

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 08:41:18 PM »
Very neat trackwork in pic 2, Mark.
I only get brickbats if I mention track being close to the edge so I'm saying nowt :zippedmouth:
If the station canopies and what lies beneath are anything like your previous version we're in for a treat.

Offline 1977joey

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 09:30:56 PM »
Very neat trackwork in pic 2, Mark.
I only get brickbats if I mention track being close to the edge so I'm saying nowt :zippedmouth:
If the station canopies and what lies beneath are anything like your previous version we're in for a treat.

Thanks Newportnobby,  :thankyousign:
As before there will be an edge next to the outermost track. The Train at platform 7 was just put there for illustration, I have tested the track but with very slow running. With the price of these trains now in no way would I leave the edge of the board unprotected in case of a would be derailment.

Many thanks regarding the remarks about the canopies. The CIS screens have been kept from before so pretty much what was seen before will reappear. The canopy over the north end of the platforms I'm going to try a more intricate design than before, so watch this space...

Cheers,
Mark

Offline 1977joey

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 10:12:51 PM »
Hi everyone,

Well almost a month past since the last update, but slowly & surely I have been constructing the Platform canopies for the north end of the station. This time I've gone for a more complex design, similar to the ready made design available from Metcalf kits, but I wanted a bash at making my own out of thick card & clear plasticard.

The design I've gone for is similar to that of the real canopy that covers the real Shrewsbury station at its north end, albeit without the tapered slant towards the edges which would have been too difficult to achieve with these materials.. This was time consuming enough to construct but well worth the effort  :thumbsup:
Here are some pictures of how it looks so far....

Construction begins...

I then mark out where I will attach each 'segment' of the new canopy roof with card

The first segment is glued into place

...Followed by more segments...

until all segments are on & & the sides made from card & slaters canopy valance are glued on

& finally placed onto the layout, some adjustments need to be done to get them properly level

The canopy along Platform 3 is yet to be finished

Cheers for now
Mark

Offline scruff

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 10:36:52 PM »
Canopy looks excellent Mark.. Keep up the good work!

Cheers
Mark

Offline 1977joey

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 11:16:38 PM »
Great looking canopies.

If you don't mind me asking what clear material did you use and what did you use to get the black lines on the canopy roof?

Hi Lindi,

Many thanks  :thumbsup:

I used clear styrene sheets, most model shops normally stock them, there are different thicknesses. I've always used these as you can make pretty much any shape & they are great for glazing.
I used thicker for the base of the canopy & thinner for the segments. The black lines I simply did with a fine Steadler permanent marker pen at every 5mm spaces to give the impression of separate panes of glass.

Hope this helps  :)

Canopy looks excellent Mark.. Keep up the good work!

Cheers
Mark

Thanks Mark  :thankyousign: Glad you like

Cheers for now,
Mark

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 06:26:47 AM »
Wow!  that's a lot of canopy.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 07:13:02 AM »
Fantastic job. Looks great!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 07:41:06 AM »
Excellent!!!

Offline rhysapthomas

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 08:43:02 AM »
Looks very good and of course does not hide the trains when they are in the station

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal