!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Farish 37 fitting sound decoder.  (Read 2508 times)

Online Paul-H

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
Farish 37 fitting sound decoder.
« on: April 04, 2018, 09:48:14 PM »
Hi all

I have a Farish Class 37 that I plan on fitting sound to and after seeing a few YouTube videos showing that this can be done using a Hornby TTS decoder I thought I would give it a go, so I ordered the decoder and have a box of different size sugarcube type speakers and am sure I have something that will fit either under the roof or in the fuel tank.

Anyone done this, got any tips or photos of the conversion, obviously I plan on keeping the lights and have some small resistor packs designed to add led lights to locos.

Any tips before I get started.

Will post some photos of my progress if anyone else fancies giving it a go

Paul
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Offline NinOz

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex3504
    • Awards
Re: Farish 37 fitting sound decoder.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 08:03:38 AM »
Will post some photos of my progress ..........
Paul
That would be appreciated.
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 09:23:00 AM »
- ditto -  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Vonzack

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20933
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 10:32:09 AM »
Me too  :D

Online Paul-H

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 04:29:53 PM »
Ok so just to get things started while I am awaiting delivery of the TTS decoder here is 37 awaiting stripping down

Body removed showing original circuit board which will be removed, the lighting connector boards at each end will remain to make it easier to connect the lights to the TTS decoder

Below is a schematic of the lighting circuit on the board as far as I understand it

There are two led's at each end, one red and the other white, the TTS decoder has 3 lighting wires, white, yellow and blue, anyone got any thoughts on how I should connect these 3 wires to the boards at each end, obviously I will need to incorporate some resistors do I run the blue wire to the LED cathode with yello & white to the anode of each led at one end then run a crossover pair from the anode's of the front two crossing over to the anodes of the rear two, does that sound like a plan.

Looking at my interpretation below at each end of the PCB the lights are connected to A,B,C at one end and C,B,A at the other how do you think the lights should be connected at each end or have I miss read the circuit

What are your thoughts before I take it a step too far.

Paul
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

Offline Dalek

• N Gauge Society Number: 24836
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 07:37:19 PM »
Following this with interest  :)

Offline portland-docks

• N Gauge Society Number: 22291
  • give me a black 5 anyday!
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Moorside Valley Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 09:00:22 PM »
very interested to see this done!
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

Online Paul-H

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 03:40:36 PM »
When these are normally converted to sound the speaker is often placed in the fuel tanks, but to start with I am going to try something a little easier, as fitting in the fuel tanks involved a lot of cutting and grinding of the chassis to make room, so I first thought I would do what Farish did with their Class 40 and fit the speaker in the roof, I got close trying this but couldn't get the sound chamber small enough to allow the body to fit properly once the speaker was attached.

Plan 2 involved making a small flat sound chamber that would sit on top of the chassis and with this one the body does fit, if I am not happy with the sound I can always go on to plan 3 which is put it in the fuel tank.

This is the sound chamber and speaker

This is how it looks sitting on the chassis

Still awaiting delivery of the decoder and still figuring out the lighting

Paul

Offline Vonzack

• N Gauge Society Number: 20933
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 04:40:32 PM »
Hi Paul,

Have you thought about losing one end of cab detail and putting the speaker in that available space. I did something similar with a class 60, fitting a Zimo MX649N and a Zimo LS12x8x8 Micro Cube speaker and sound chamber.

Other than the missing Cab detail, the rest of the loco doesn't need any modification and with the extra height of the 37 roof, you should have no problems at all.

Cheers, Mark.

Offline kirky

• N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 04:42:11 PM »
Hi @Paul-H
Dont know if youve seen the guides on the Yoochoos website? Ive found them to be very useful guides in the past.
I know you are using a different decoder but the principles will be the same. John from Yoochoos uses SMD resistors which will take up less space. He salvaged these from other loco pcbs. Also worth noting that he used a capacitor. This might not be necessary for the  particular decoder you are using, but worth pointing out I think.

Heres the link:

http://www.youchoos.co.uk/Index-Resource.php?L1=Guides&Item=Farish37

cheers
Kirky
Northallerton is in the August 2018 edition of Raiway Modeller

and in real life at the Normanton and Pontefract exhibition. New College, Park Lane, Pontefract. 26/27th January 2019

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Online Paul-H

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 04:22:28 PM »
The decoder arrived today so I have been busy with the installation

Firstly you will notice I have not followed normal practice when converting these N-Gauge Locos to sound, that is I have not chopped up the original PCB or hacked lumps of the chassis, this is so that should I want to I can return the loco to stock condition

First step is to make contacts for connection to the red & black wires which connect to the rail pickups, fortunately the original PCB gets its power through its 2 mounting screws so all I had to do was make two small brass tabs to screw to the mounting posts as seen here

Next after insulating the chassis with some Kapon tape the decoder is mounted and held in place with a thin strip of Kapon, the blue wire is attached to a couple of SMD resistors for use with the lighting, again to save chopping up the original PCB I used the SMD resistor sets the LaisDCC sell, its got 6 SMD resistors and costs about 1.50 and I just chopped the last 2 off, these are for the front and rear LED's.

Now comes the fun part, connecting the lights up, I followed the guide on the Youchoos site listed above for changing the lighting wire colours to the standard Blue, White & Yellow, both blue wires go to the resistor pack and the white at the front goes to the white from the decoder along with yellow from the back and white  from the back goes to the yellow from the decoder along with yellow from the front. Simples ;)

Finally all back together ready for testing

And finally a quick sound test via Youtube

https://youtu.be/Gl8j-fY3aZ8

Quite pleased with the result and looking forward to converting the Class 47 next

Hope you find this useful

Paul
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 04:23:58 PM by Paul-H »

Offline Delboy

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 06:44:03 PM »
Just watched the video and it sounds great. Excellent job Paul and thanks for sharing.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline Dalek

• N Gauge Society Number: 24836
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 08:38:53 AM »
Great stuff, have you got any more into on "SMD resistor sets the LaisDCC sell" ? Or close up picture of how the lighting is wired please ?

Craig

Online Paul-H

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 09:35:06 AM »
These are the SMD resistor packs I used https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LaisDcc-2-Pack-LED-Resistor-Board-Part-No-860027-DCC/222887159858

I just snipped two off from one end

Wiring turned out to be quite simple after I changed the colours on the PCB's at each end to match normal DCC conventions as can be seen in the picture above, looking at the back of the PCB its white to the left, yellow to the right and blue to the middle

Then place loco on track and run it in a forward direction to identify the front, then with the wiring, both blue wires from each end go the the resistors (One wire to each) (Make sure you use the solder pads) and the blue wire from the decoder goes to the other end of the resistor (Only need to solder to one resistor as they are all connected together at the opposite end to the solder pads. Then take the white wire at the front and yellow wire from the rear and connect them to the white wire on the decoder, then take the white wire from the rear and yellow wire from the front and connect them to the yellow wire from the decoder, its quite simple once you get going, just keep all wires a short as possible and insulate the joins, I used thin heat shrink

Paul

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 09:47:23 AM »
Great job!

I bought a couple of TTS decoders to try in a 66 that already had a cooked PCB, annoyingly both were faulty, so are going back to Hornby for "software updates". Have to try a 37 though!

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £317.00
Above Goal: £262.00
Site Currency: GBP
576% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything