!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: BRM Magazine subscription - free toolbox  (Read 723 times)

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
BRM Magazine subscription - free toolbox
« on: April 01, 2018, 10:05:25 PM »
Whilst at ‘Ally Pally’ last weekend, I took advantage of the digital subscription offer from ‘BRM’ and got the free wooden toolbox. This is the way I constructed the toolbox.

It comes flat packed with over 40 different pieces of very smooth wood and a few pieces of metal and is either a) relatively easy or b) virtually impossible to put together. There is a sheet of instructions that basically is just an exploded diagram – no written instructions as such.

The first thing to do is put the small pieces in a container and then have a dry run. You will be able to see how it does go together and in what order is best for you. The pieces of wood fit together with mortice and tenon type joints. I used PVA glue for the construction, quite sparingly, the theory being that the glue would not ooze out of the joints. Once it had dried, I found I had been too sparing in the glue application in parts and some of the joints would come apart so I had to apply more glue!

The way I started was to glue the drawer supports to the left side along with everything else that joined to the LH side. Then I connected this completed section to the right hand side. Once that was dry, I then glued the rear piece into place. Whilst waiting for various bits to dry, the drawers can be started on. Every piece of wood is accurately cut and was a good fit with its neighbour, but I still used a couple of ratchet clamps where I thought necessary. I may stain/varnish the box, but I presume it could be painted easy enough, or just left ‘as is’.

There are three ‘hangers’ for each side. As I do not intend ‘hanging’ the box anywhere, I did not bother using these, but will be using one of the hangers on each of the three drawer fronts as a knob.

As I said, the toolbox can be easy to put together, but take your time and make sure things are right before getting the glue out. Once completed, the box is quite sturdy and measures approximately 9¼" wide x 9¼" deep x 15½" high, (to top of handle).

(Note to Mods - if you think this post would be better in another section, please move.)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
Re: BRM Magazine subscription - free toolbox
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 12:00:34 AM »
This is advertised as a free gift with a 3m £4.99 subscription.

When the DD form arrives, it states that the DD minimum period is 1year!!

I’m going to cancel mine now, And invite them to collect their toolbox!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 12:07:49 AM by Railwaygun »
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP