!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Farish WD problem.  (Read 266 times)

Offline N Gauge Bob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12922
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Farish WD problem.
« on: March 13, 2018, 01:27:02 PM »
Graham Farish WD 372-427.
I have opened a couple of boxes which were purchased for me by my late wife and I have only just brought myself around to running them. All ran perfectly except the WD.
I opened the box, put it on the track and it immediately shorted the whole layout.
(I am running DC not DCC)
I tried the old trick of isolating each wheelset including the front bogey to see if one of those was faulty, but they all shorted the controller out.
As it is probably out of warranty and I have no idea where it was purchased, I decided to have a look inside. I started with the tender...good move. I wobbled the blanking chip in its carrier and it sprung into life and then died again. This happened several times, then tried another chip from another new Farish loco...same problem.
I believe the problem must be with the carrier which sits on two pillars fastened with 2 screws. I checked the wiring...no breaks or looseness.
Can anyone suggest what might be wrong? The only thing I am wondering is that there are 2 brass coils(?) under the little PCB which seem to be touching the two contact strips which run the length of the tender. Should they or should there be a barrier between them and the strip?

I don't want to start messing around with it as I would probably do something wrong. so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Bob
Remember this:
Amateurs..............built the Ark!
Professionals........built the Titanic!

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
Re: Farish WD problem.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 01:41:35 PM »
I'd unscrew the PCB from the pillars and re-test. If it works then the short is between the pickup bars and the PCB, so insulate them (black tape). If not, it's something on the PCB shorting, so I'd look for swarf, or touching components/bridged tracks on the PCB.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline N Gauge Bob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12922
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 05:33:01 PM »
I'd unscrew the PCB from the pillars and re-test. If it works then the short is between the pickup bars and the PCB, so insulate them (black tape). If not, it's something on the PCB shorting, so I'd look for swarf, or touching components/bridged tracks on the PCB.

Cheers,
Alan

So I put the chip in the carrier, turned the current on...nothing.  I checked the carrier and board and there was no swarf and no broken or damaged track I could see.
I then screwed the board back on the pillars and hey presto! Loco runs fine.
The only thing I can see that is different is that the two brass coils are no longer touching the power rails, so I can only conclude that it must have been the coils shorting out on the current strips possibly due to bad or mis-aligned asssembly at the factory.

Many thanks for your help Alan.
Cheers
Bob
Remember this:
Amateurs..............built the Ark!
Professionals........built the Titanic!

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 06:09:51 PM »
Keep a close eye on it Bob - intermittent faults have a habit of re-occurring - there might be something still loose on PCB or a dodgey solder joint.

But at least the motor is fundamentally good, so if it troubles you again, it should be reasonably easy to fix.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £327.00
Above Goal: £272.00
Site Currency: GBP
595% 
December Donations

Advertise Here