!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Great War Cavalry Troop Train  (Read 1919 times)

Offline John Tremelling

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Great War Cavalry Troop Train
« on: July 17, 2012, 08:32:26 PM »
Hi all,

I am looking to put together a Great War Cavalry Troop Train, I have a good selection of Cattle Turucks for OR's mounts, Horses Boxes for Officers Chargers and Suburban Stock for Troops. (A horse was a remount for a Trooper, but would suddenley morph into a charger if allocated to an Officer).

Now I need some motive power. Are there any production locomotives of this era, or am I looking at a kit?

Thanks,

John T

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Great War Cavalry Troop Train
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 09:19:53 PM »
Hi John,

You are probably best served with Union Mills locos, specifically J class 0-6-0 tender locos such as:-
J37   1914
J21   1886
J36   1888
J15   1883
J17   1901
J27   1906

Not sure if Colin does all of these, but I have just listed the classes and introduction dates in the hope you can find something. Good luck :)

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 09:56:16 PM »
Hi John,

You are probably best served with Union Mills locos

Alas not - they almost without exception represent the later reworkings and so are quite distinctively too modern. They may be some of the easiest choices if a little incorrect and of course needing a repaint back into a pre-group livery.

In fact I think the bigger thing to watch is what company you pick. Some of the pre-group liveries are extravagant and required hours of fine lining by proficient painters. Ditto the coaches.

There is also very little period coaching stock available in any form.

There are a few images and even bits of film of WW1 troop trains, although I've not seen a cavalry one.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/troop-train/query/Connaught

is one example on the net, which appears at first glance might be LSWR bogie stock

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 10:00:59 PM »
Doh! Thanks EP.
I just thought that a repaint might do the job as, agreed, they are mostly later livery.

Offline John Tremelling

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 07:46:03 PM »
Thanks for your various comments and for the Pathe Link, I have found others, but that one is new to me.

John T

Offline John Tremelling

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 06:08:27 PM »
I have just received a Union Mills G2 in LMS unlined black. A lovely locomotive, I am unfamiliar with this make to date.

I must do some research to see how I can re-livery it to 1914-18, failing that I may settle for a Cavalry Troop Train of the early 20's, Yeomanry on manoevres?

My imagination is getting a little carried away, anyone know where I can get 4 144th 13 pounders and limbers? I could put an RHA Troop on a train.

John T

Offline OwL

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15643
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 06:22:48 PM »
Hi John,

Iam aware of N Gauge WW2 and modern British military figures, tanks, Artillery and vehicles but not much in the way of WW1 equipment I'm afraid. I attach a link that may be useful as you could get an early WW2 piece and convert into a WW1 artillery gun. Minifigs 12mm section shows the range:

Good luck:

www.miniaturefigurines.co.uk

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 08:54:31 AM »
I have just received a Union Mills G2 in LMS unlined black.

I must do some research to see how I can re-livery it to 1914-18...

John T
Unfortunately John, the answer to that one is "you can't" - the G2s weren't built until 1920-22...

With a bit of work you could convert it to a G1 (suitable for 1912 onwards) but be ware - the G1s are a minefield with a lot of visual differences due to being rebuilds of earlier class Bs, Ds, Es and Fs as well as some new builds which were simply a class G with a superheated boiler... (It is those new builds, nos 9155-9334, that are visually the closest to a G2).

Paul

Offline John Tremelling

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 09:08:30 AM »
Thanks Paul, I did not explain myself well enough.

Whilst not an expert my limited research had led me to believe that G2'S were post Great War, hence the easy option of 1920's Cavalry Train.

By re-livery I had meant change to G1, I believe the G2 is a progression and thought that it might be easy to convert, however it seems from what you say that it will not be easy. My big problem at the moment is to find a suitable livery. Khaki ROD would be nice, but I can find no photographs. Any links or advice regarding research material would be welcome.

Thanks for your interest and comments,

John T

Offline PennineWagons

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 12:51:25 PM »
Great War / early 20s cavalry train?
You'll be needing a pre-grouping gunpowder van to carry the ammo then! ;)
(Awaits customary telling-off for advertising.)
PW

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 01:28:19 PM »
Just to remind everyone regarding selling, the Code of Conduct states:

"We do not allow businesses to sell or advertise their goods on the forum without permission from the Admins - unless they are already paying to advertise on the forum.  Members who regularly post their business website in their signature, in posts, or goods in the For Sale section will be dealt with."
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
November Donations

Advertise Here