!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wave of PECO wagon commissions  (Read 1276 times)

Offline madchadbrad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 6004
  • 2mm Association Number: 3293
  • These days I be mostly collectin' stuff
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • flickr Mad Chad Brad's Photostream
    • Awards
Wave of PECO wagon commissions
« on: March 09, 2018, 12:46:46 PM »
Over the past couple of years retailers and modelling associations, as well as exhibition managers  have taken to commissioning commemorative or special edition wagons from PECO.
This is a refreshing change in the fortunes of the N-gauge modeller and wagon collector such as myself, especially as retail prices for such wagons are very competitive, especially alongside the latest RRPs of Graham Farish be Bachmann, with prices double what they were in the naughties, when Chinese production took over. Even Dapol have managed to keep their prices with moderate increases since then.
PECO's digital printing is also impeccably precise and highly detailed since they changed from the previous tampo system.
PECO's latest raft of commissions now bear reference numbers in the NR-P9xx series and run to some 44 releases to date - the latest being a pair of lime wagons (5-plank with peaked roof) from Pennine Wagons. Priced at 15 each, including UK P&P or 27.50 for the two.
PECO's smaller batch size and lower unit cost mean that even small retailers can afford to commission a run and expect to clear their stock in a reasonable timescale.
Let's have plenty more of these, please!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 12:50:45 PM by madchadbrad »
VBR
Chas

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
Re: Wave of PECO wagon commissions
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 12:49:51 PM »
Chas,

The other day someone was asking about a Singer PO wagon.

Do you have one in your collection ?

Best regards,

Joe

Offline madchadbrad

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 01:12:53 PM »
Not so far - it is always possible that I have missed the odd one (hence I am searching for a couple of Dapol commissions I missed in the Naughties)
Could it be a Robbie's Rollingstock item - I have downloaded his lists as a searchable spreadsheet but no luck so far.
I will keep my eyes peeled!
VBR
Chas

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 01:35:40 PM »
@madchadbrad

Chas, I can not tell a lie, it was I asking about Singer. I have been in contact with Robbie and he has nothing regarding 'Singer' but we are talking about a 'one off' - would you be interested?

@joe cassidy

Thanks for thinking about me  :beers:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 01:36:51 PM by dannyboy »
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline madchadbrad

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 02:33:38 PM »
Why Singer?
I have no idea what the Singer wagon would look like: I can't find one listed on the private owner wagons index by Joe Greaves, which lists all the wagons mentioned in all of the books on POWs to date.
If you can show me a prototype picture, I would probably still not be interested in a one-off but maybe if it was a limited edition commissioned run from PECO! It might be possible to convince a retailer to go halves?
VBR
Chas

Online Snowwolflair

• N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 02:35:53 PM »
Why Singer?
I have no idea what the Singer wagon would look like: I can't find one listed on the private owner wagons index by Joe Greaves, which lists all the wagons mentioned in all of the books on POWs to date.
If you can show me a prototype picture, I would probably still not be interested in a one-off but maybe if it was a limited edition commissioned run from PECO! It might be possible to convince a retailer to go halves?

Offline madchadbrad

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 02:49:59 PM »
Nice little loco (ex-L&Y Peckett?)
Obviously and industrial siding setting for the Singer Machine Co.
Good variety of vehicles, I imagine for different manufactured items.
3-plank & 5-plank? sheeted with 2 different styles, a low roofed van (relative to the adjoining std van?)
Probably better suited to a 2mm scale association kit-build project as the underframes look antique.

VBR
Chas

Online dannyboy

• N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 03:01:15 PM »
Why Singer?

I started a thread called Singer Sewing Machine, which explains why I want a Singer liveried wagon. If you know of any other sewing related wagons I would appreciate the information. Thanks.

@madchadbrad

I have found the Joe Greaves index - will have a look at it properly later.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 03:03:22 PM by dannyboy »
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline madchadbrad

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
VBR
Chas

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 03:46:39 PM »
I have to agree with the OP or I would never have got the Model Rail Scotland/Peco limited edition Tunnocks van (I have happy memories of conducting business with Tunnocks).
I also got the Osborns Models shunters truck (ref OB001) but don't know where they sourced it (stated designed in Britain and made in the EU)
Wherever possible I always get NGS RTR models from the Society before the manufacturer gets their go.

Offline madchadbrad

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 04:17:57 PM »
Osborns make the shunters truck (and a number of other unusual GWR wagons) using a 3D printer. They also have a laser cutting machine. Check out their Arch Laser ranges on their website. Check out also a growing range of 3D printed classic british commercial vehicles in 1/148 scale. OD have now listed the Green Godess as forthcoming in N, which would sadly make Osborns' version less saleable.
VBR
Chas

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 04:22:45 PM »
I have to agree with the OP or I would never have got the Model Rail Scotland/Peco limited edition Tunnocks van (I have happy memories of conducting business with Tunnocks).
I also got the Osborns Models shunters truck (ref OB001) but don't know where they sourced it (stated designed in Britain and made in the EU)
Wherever possible I always get NGS RTR models from the Society before the manufacturer gets their go.

probably made by Shapeways in Holland.

Offline madchadbrad

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 09:57:06 PM »
I asked Mike while he was on his stand at Abrail - they have their own 3D printer to produce their range of proprietary models. They were initially working in conjunction with a group at Exeter University.
(Britain is still in the EU at the moment!)
VBR
Chas
 :beers:
VBR
Chas

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 10:04:54 PM »
I asked Mike while he was on his stand at Abrail - they have their own 3D printer to produce their range of proprietary models. They were initially working in conjunction with a group at Exeter University.
(Britain is still in the EU at the moment!)
VBR
Chas
 :beers:

I know that team, they were at 3d printing 20 years ago and developed the groundbreaking RepRap printer, of which I had a very early model.  It was good for the time but crude by today's standards.  they are good people to partner with.

Offline PennineWagons

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 10:39:44 PM »
Over the past couple of years retailers and modelling associations, as well as exhibition managers  have taken to commissioning commemorative or special edition wagons from PECO.
This is a refreshing change in the fortunes of the N-gauge modeller and wagon collector such as myself, especially as retail prices for such wagons are very competitive, especially alongside the latest RRPs of Graham Farish be Bachmann, with prices double what they were in the naughties, when Chinese production took over. Even Dapol have managed to keep their prices with moderate increases since then.
PECO's digital printing is also impeccably precise and highly detailed since they changed from the previous tampo system.
PECO's latest raft of commissions now bear reference numbers in the NR-P9xx series and run to some 44 releases to date - the latest being a pair of lime wagons (5-plank with peaked roof) from Pennine Wagons. Priced at 15 each, including UK P&P or 27.50 for the two.
PECO's smaller batch size and lower unit cost mean that even small retailers can afford to commission a run and expect to clear their stock in a reasonable timescale.
Let's have plenty more of these, please!
Yes, the PECO printing is very good. Dapol never seemed to do a dense enough print, so with white letters on a dark background (i.e., most private-owner liveries) you got a lot of show-through of the base colour, which made the whole thing look a bit toy-like. With PECO there are no such problems. Plus they have a bigger range of wagon types to choose from, and the lack of any minimum order quantity is a huge bonus for smaller suppliers like ourselves. We had a couple of tank wagons last year and shifted them all fairly quickly, and the pair of lime wagons we got a month or so ago have now mostly gone as well. Dapol pretty much invented the short-run special-commission wagon market, but PECO are taking it to a whole new level. Which is good news all round really.
PW

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £327.00
Above Goal: £272.00
Site Currency: GBP
595% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything