!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Modelling Swiss narrow gauge in 1:150th scale  (Read 18066 times)

Online Jim Easterbrook

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Retired research engineer.
    • Personal web site
    • Awards
Re: Modelling Swiss narrow gauge in 1:150th scale
« Reply #255 on: June 27, 2020, 12:38:15 PM »
I received a couple of MDS-Modell Haik wagons yesterday. They're supplied with Rapido style couplers, which I've eliminated from the rest of my stuff, so the first job was to fit something else. The bogies have the same coupler mount as Kato's RhB coaches, so it's easy to fit a Kato close coupler arm.

This looks much better than before, and still copes with 150 mm radius curves and S bends.

Coupling to a Kato coach is not so easy - there's a significant height difference.

Once coupled, the coach is lifting the front of the MDS bogie.

I've got another selection of Micro Trains couplers en route from Yankee Dabbler - hopefully I'll be able to get something to work and be the same height as the MTL couplers on my locos and end coaches. Or I could reduce the height of all my MTL couplers and call it a new standard.

Offline Gizzy

• Awards
« Reply #256 on: June 27, 2020, 08:30:22 PM »
Hullo Jim,

I've heard some folk have reduced the height of the HAIK wagons by shaving off a 1/2 mm of the boss that the bogie fits to.

I've yet to check my own HAIK. I'm not yet a gentleman of leisure, and still working full time as key personnel....
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 08:34:23 PM by Gizzy »
Gizzy

Gentleman, scholar, railway modeller....

Online Jim Easterbrook

• Personal web site
    • Awards
« Reply #257 on: June 28, 2020, 09:12:52 AM »
I've heard some folk have reduced the height of the HAIK wagons by shaving off a 1/2 mm of the boss that the bogie fits to.

Yes, that's something to look into later on. It will reduce the clearance between bogie and body, so I need to sort out the couplers first. The Haik looks tall against the EW1, but the difference is much less against a GEX coach.

Online Jim Easterbrook

• Personal web site
    • Awards
« Reply #258 on: July 09, 2020, 11:15:40 AM »
After some experimenting I've got a workable solution for fitting knuckle couplers to the MDS Haik wagons. First I cut away all of the MDS coupler mount.

Then I attach a plasticard mount using epoxy adhesive.

Finally I attach a Micro-Trains 2001 coupler using epoxy adhesive.

I did experiment with using screws to attach the coupler to the mount and the mount to the bogie, but this reduces the clearance between bogie and wagon underside. Epoxy adhesive's slow setting time (compared to superglue) allows everything to be correctly positioned before it sets.

The coupler protrudes a bit more than I'd like.

The coupler knuckle centre line is 4 mm above the track (Dapol standard) rather than the 5.5 mm used by Micro-Trains. It's still a bit close to the brake hoses, even though I've filed down the top of the trip pin.

The other end uses a shorter coupling as the bogie is nearer the end of the wagon. Fortunately the Micro-Trains 2001 pack includes short and medium length couplers.

There is now quite a bit of clearance between the bogie and wagon, so I might file down the bogie mounting boss to lower the wagon. Then I might need to cut away part of the brake hoses to stop them catching on the coupler on tight curves.

Online Jim Easterbrook

• Personal web site
    • Awards
« Reply #259 on: July 11, 2020, 12:54:31 PM »
Unfortunately epoxy adhesive doesn't work well on these plastics. (A problem I've also found with the coupler modifications I described here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50223) It's OK for general use, but any rough handling, such as when filing down the plasticard bracket, tends to pull them apart.

Offline Gizzy

• Awards
« Reply #260 on: July 11, 2020, 05:40:49 PM »
Unfortunately epoxy adhesive doesn't work well on these plastics. (A problem I've also found with the coupler modifications I described here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50223) It's OK for general use, but any rough handling, such as when filing down the plasticard bracket, tends to pull them apart.
Some types of plastic are notoriously difficult to glue, due to their slippery surface. As an LGB man, I have found this quite a bit!

I've often used a soldering iron to melt things together, or solvent weld as used by plumbers....
Gizzy

Online Jim Easterbrook

• Personal web site
    • Awards
« Reply #261 on: July 11, 2020, 06:08:19 PM »
Ah, the solvent weld is a good plan. I think my tin of it has probably dried out by now - it's 20 years since I last needed it. I've seen silicone caulk suggested elsewhere, which I also have a dried out tube of.

Time to experiment on some sprues and offcuts.

Offline fitzgreyve

• Awards
« Reply #262 on: July 17, 2020, 11:45:58 AM »
Latest kato RhB conversion - "Excellence class":

Windows and corridor connection filled in, gold stripes added, new 3D print interior.

Waiting for a jumper set to fill that very stark rear end, not sure if getting some "excellence class" (and new Aps1321 number) decals made would be worth it - so small!

Online Jim Easterbrook

• Personal web site
    • Awards

Online Jim Easterbrook

• Personal web site
    • Awards
« Reply #264 on: August 05, 2020, 02:57:57 PM »
I've finally completed my pair of "Lb" flat wagons with "coop" swap body containers.

More details in this thread https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50261.0 if you're interested.

Online Jim Easterbrook

• Personal web site
    • Awards
« Reply #265 on: August 31, 2020, 09:46:03 AM »
Has anyone painted their rails white for the summer season?
https://youtu.be/TU-XrHJrAto

Offline Gizzy

• Awards
« Reply #266 on: September 01, 2020, 10:41:04 AM »
Has anyone painted their rails white for the summer season?
https://youtu.be/TU-XrHJrAto

Interesting video Jim!

It's also done on UK railways, but this is the first time I've seen it done on the RhB.

However, I won't be doing likewise on my layout....
Gizzy

Online Jim Easterbrook

• Personal web site
    • Awards
« Reply #267 on: September 01, 2020, 04:07:35 PM »
I recently started following the RhB on Twitter - they posted a link to that video a few days ago. My Twitter feed is being taken over by railway related stuff. There's no hope for me now.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal