!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Modelling Swiss narrow gauge in 1:150th scale  (Read 12766 times)

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Modelling Swiss narrow gauge in 1:150th scale
« Reply #210 on: February 13, 2020, 12:31:21 AM »
It wasn't a slight on anyone who uses it, for me I don't think it looks very realistic, particularly the points, and you're limited on geometry, although I fully accept a lot can be done to blend it in to make it look better. I even said I accept the plain line looks quite a bit like RHB track. However, I was addressing Dawdawes's question about the most realistic looking track. And that is never Kato IMO.
I agree totally , we are all different, for me the Kato has never been my choice, I have on order a Tomix point and some straight track to try with a lower shoulder even have a bit of Fleischmann profi coming but then it's the horrid pointwork. I modelled an American z layout years a go and used Rokuhan ballasted  track and again the points let it down, other choices are Atlas code 55 with American sleeper spacing and peco code 55 , just trying to get a look of small rail height. Or spend big and use z track but then it's the points again, oh desicions desicions

Hi Dave,

Myself and my club colleague who have Unitrack RhB layouts that can be linked together (as we did at the ERA show and Boulogne sur Mer) tried Tomix and it provided less sure running that Unitrack

Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #211 on: February 13, 2020, 12:50:44 AM »
As you may recall I was one of the first people to build a layout for the Kato RhB stuff (7 years ago now!) so the photos of it are deep down somewhere in much earlier posts in this part of the Forum.

So here's a reminder of what my layout laid with Unitrack looks like

Great from a 'normal public' viewing distance

And here's a close up of the blended-in single track section . The bulk of the Code 80 rail is the most noticeable 'downside' thing perhaps

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 12:56:38 AM by Gordon »

European railway expert

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #212 on: February 13, 2020, 01:01:08 AM »
I contributed to a non-European-specific discussion about Unitrack elsewhere on this forum a few years ago, so I can re-post this shot I used as an example of the 'Kato Unitrack' actually in use on the BLS in Switzerland :)

and to show the ballast shoulder height, a section of the München - Nürnberg line

Straying off topic so will close now
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 01:04:29 AM by Gordon »

European railway expert

Offline Dawdawes1964

• Owner of 1940sradio.com, ex train driver
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #213 on: February 14, 2020, 10:00:00 AM »
Thanks Gordon. Still trying some ideas, have some code 40 to try and a bit of atlas 55 coming. Layout will be a stand alone approx 16' in length , just had the first of my mds stock and a sound GE4/4 delivered, beautifull
Dawdawes

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #214 on: February 14, 2020, 10:09:09 AM »
Atlas code 55 is very US style - the sleeper spacing is extremely close. I’d use Peco code 55 over Atlas.

Offline Dawdawes1964

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #215 on: February 14, 2020, 10:13:40 AM »
I am trying to get the look of narrow gauge sleepering, even might cut a slither of the sleeper length , it's all trail atm
Dawdawes

Offline Dawdawes1964

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #216 on: February 18, 2020, 09:31:47 AM »
Well different tracks have arrived, the finescale code 40 is beautiful,  but time, cost and the fact MDS stock sits on the rail chairs, same with the atlas code 55, so rules those out. Fleischmann profi looks ok but the turnouts are a bit clunky. Waiting for Peco code 55 to try if not it will have to be Kato unitrack
Dawdawes

Offline Dawdawes1964

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #217 on: February 19, 2020, 07:59:42 PM »
Well different tracks have arrived, the finescale code 40 is beautiful,  but time, cost and the fact MDS stock sits on the rail chairs, same with the atlas code 55, so rules those out. Fleischmann profi looks ok but the turnouts are a bit clunky. Waiting for Peco code 55 to try if not it will have to be Kato unitrack
Well the peco code 55 with unifrog points looks and works well, so that's the way for me, hoorah
Dawdawes

Offline Gizzy

• Awards
« Reply #218 on: February 20, 2020, 07:11:29 AM »
Well the peco code 55 with unifrog points looks and works well, so that's the way for me, hoorah
I look forward to seeing how your layout progresses, now that you have made your track choice....
Gizzy

Gentleman, scholar, railway modeller....

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal