!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: RENFE Books  (Read 137 times)

Offline Steve Gibbs

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
RENFE Books
« on: February 13, 2020, 10:52:21 PM »
Hi All,

New to the game and pretty sure the decision is made that the Spanish railways are the way to go. So in view of this can anyone recommend any books on RENFE, I'm looking at era IV V loco information, leaning heavily towards coal and freight traffic. Any recommendations would be great.

Many thanks in advance.

Steve

Offline weave

• Awards
Re: RENFE Books
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 11:39:11 PM »
Hi Steve. Excellent choice of railway country.

Unfortunately I cannot help regarding books as I don't have any. I pretty much go along with what I remember from travelling in Spain in the '80s and '90s and Googling info. but am sure some more knowledgeable members will be able to help with sourcing books.

Are you going to model Northern Spain? I've only been to the Basque country in the North but would love to go to Asturias and the rest of North West Spain.

Good luck with your quest and looking forward to your future plans and build.

Salud, weave  :beers:

Offline captainelectra

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Electra Rail
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 09:59:28 AM »
I did purchase a softback guide to Renfe locos and rolling stock from a newsagent on Valencia station a few years back but can't find it now. It was full colour A3 sized with loads of information.

I think it was published by one of the enthusiast magazines but can't find any more info.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Electra Rail
Peterborough, UK
http://www.electrarail.co.uk
Flick Site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27017199@N07/

Offline Peter Kem

• N Gauge Society Number: 27873
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 11:42:05 AM »
Hi Steve

This website lists all diesel and electric Spanish locos and with plenty of photos.

http://www.listadotren.es/

There are some Spanish published books which are not easy to find, I have picked up some in secondhand bookshops.
Middleton press publishes a few books covering some areas of Spain, but mainly 1960's era photo's.
There are a few rail mags published, Maquetren seems to be the best. But can be difficult to find, most newsstands don't sell rail mags!

Peter

Offline Steve Gibbs

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 06:51:58 PM »
Hi Steve

This website lists all diesel and electric Spanish locos and with plenty of photos.

http://www.listadotren.es/

There are some Spanish published books which are not easy to find, I have picked up some in secondhand bookshops.
Middleton press publishes a few books covering some areas of Spain, but mainly 1960's era photo's.
There are a few rail mags published, Maquetren seems to be the best. But can be difficult to find, most newsstands don't sell rail mags!

Peter

Many Thanks Peter, Valencia great city was there a couple of years ago.

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 02:05:26 AM »
Hi All,

New to the game and pretty sure the decision is made that the Spanish railways are the way to go. So in view of this can anyone recommend any books on RENFE, I'm looking at era IV V loco information, leaning heavily towards coal and freight traffic. Any recommendations would be great.

Many thanks in advance.

Steve

The Spanish do lots of railways books, but a lot are nostalgic not current.

Internet is best.

Railfaneurope was an early internet resource for European railway stuff. It is still a good resource although many people don't mention it any more.

You've chosen just the right time to do Spanish N with Arnold going mad on the subject over the last few years, and splendid stuff from Mabar and Starttrain

Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Offline Steve Gibbs

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 07:34:04 PM »
Hi All,

Many thanks in advance.

Steve

The Spanish do lots of railways books, but a lot are nostalgic not current.

Internet is best.

Railfaneurope was an early internet resource for European railway stuff. It is still a good resource although many people don't mention it any more.

You've chosen just the right time to do Spanish N with Arnold going mad on the subject over the last few years, and splendid stuff from Mabar and Starttrain

Many thanks Gordon,

I was leaning to SNCF for a while given the availability of French N, but then I dug a bit deeper and found lots of
RENFE stuff.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 08:59:54 AM »
Hi Steve,

Just a thought and you probably know this but if you are Googling Spanish locomotives, search for Renfe 'loco number' series eg. RENFE 318 Series (the Spanish call them Series) rather than just the number or putting Class as we call them. You then get the Spanish wiki with a translate option which gives you much more info.

Hope helps.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything