!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Remotor Peco Jubilee  (Read 772 times)

Offline garf1437

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Remotor Peco Jubilee
« on: February 28, 2018, 12:05:30 AM »
Good Morning
I am new to forum writing, but here goes.
Peco Jubilee, has anybody remotored one?
And with what motor ?
Many Thanks

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
Re: Remotor Peco Jubilee
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 12:11:22 AM »
I believe that it can be done with a Union Mills tender drive unit and modifying the tender to fit.

Colin sells them if he has spares available.  Tell him what you want it for, I'm sure he has been asked before and will be able to help.

Offline Safety Engineer

• N Gauge Society Number: 11721
  • 2mm Association Number: 3923
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 08:44:45 AM »
Hi,

I've replaced my defunct Peco Stanier tender with a Union Mills Fowler tender (and fitted coal rails) but beware UM drive units are wired reverse to the Peco unit. Colin will supply a suitably wired tender if you speak to him as he used to work for Peco so Knows all the details required.

Martin

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 08:54:21 AM »
Member Ozymandias is the guy to talk to.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 01:57:04 PM »
@ozymandias

This doesn’t seem to,form an automatic link any more
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline Ozymandias

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25305
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 02:03:56 PM »
@ozymandias

This doesn’t seem to,form an automatic link any more

Did somebody call...?! ;)

I've not re-motored Peco tender drive units, but the idea of using a UM one is a good one. Colin at UM is incredibly helpful and friendly.
"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

Offline garf1437

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 04:20:31 PM »
Gentlemen and Ladies
Thank you for your replies to my thought unable question.
More strange questions to come.
Many Thanks

Offline N Scale Newbie

• 50% Cockney 50% Lancastrian born in Essex Confused
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 09:58:08 PM »
Hi the advice you have had from the other forum members is bang on the one small addition I would suggest is buy the complete Fowler tender to replace the Stanier as suggested then turn the wheels round  so the tyres are on the same side as the Peco tender. I have the tender without the top just the motor end wish I'd bought it complete as now i am trying to make the Peco tender chassis fit the top. Colin at Union Mills is helpful and good to deal with and is well thought of by several members me included.
Ken
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 10:36:45 PM by N Scale Newbie »
Happy but permanently confused with wiring diagrams due to cardio vascular damage. I used to have a brain but now have Reagans walnut.

Offline east anglian

• N Gauge Society Number: 15731
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 12:27:51 PM »
Re   your  problem,
I   have   re-motored    a    Peco    Jubilee    with   a    Mashima   brushless    12 v   DC   motor   with    very     small   alterations   to   the   tender,   what   I   did   was   to    use   the   outside   can   and   worm   gear   on   the    Peco   motor   and   fit  the   Mashima   motor   inside   the    can   and   replace  it   in   the    tender,   the   only    problem   I   encountered   was   that   the     new    motor   was    a    couple    of    thou   taller    at   the    top,   so    you    raise    a   portion     of   the    coal    which    is    a    simple    job,   the    Mashima    motor    measured   17mm   tall    and    13mm   wide,     I    would     think   if   you    got    in    touch    with   TAFF    VALE    MODELS   they   would   be     able   to    advise   you  on    a    replacement    motor,      other    than    that    keep    you   eyes     on    E   BAY   as    now    and    again     one    does      crop    up,
Hope    this   will    help
EAST    ANGLIAN

Offline N Scale Newbie

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 08:41:53 PM »
 :hellosign: :helpneededsign: east anglian saw the post re the mashima motor and and the solution you came up with which prompted me to think along the same lines despite having a new U M motor which doesn't quite work for me as the wheels are not aligned with the tender as the motor was designed for a Fowler tender. Did you have any particular problems apart from putting it into the rivarossi can and adding the worm. Is there also a particular way of wiring it and do you have the motor details please.
I hope you can help and thanks if you can. I really am a Newbie when it comes to wiring.
Ken :confusedsign:
Happy but permanently confused with wiring diagrams due to cardio vascular damage. I used to have a brain but now have Reagans walnut.

Offline N Scale Newbie

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 08:59:01 PM »
Hi all this post is not for any particular member but may help in the re motor of the jubilee members who want to try and get their locos back on track. I took a chance having spoken to East Anglian and read others thoughts and purchased a new N-drive motor at a very good price on E-bay. Long story short pulled all the works out of the Jubilee can including the magnetic plastic on the inside. The motor fits in nicely and comes with screws and sleeve to bring the armature pole up to 1.5mm. Now to get the armature sleeved and the worm from the original motor on when I figure it out then secure it and wire it up. Hope this helps with the question. And a big thank you to all the members who have helped put this idea into some form of answer.
Thank you all
 Ken     :thankyousign: :claphappy:

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 10:09:56 PM »
....N-drive motor ... pulled all the works out of the Jubilee can including the magnetic plastic on the inside. The motor fits in nicely and comes with screws and sleeve to bring the armature pole up to 1.5mm.

Oh I see, you've slotted the new motor into the old can as East Anglian described?  Interesting.  I take it you bought a single-ended motor (only double-ended on offer on ebay at present)? 

Can you post some photos?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 10:12:48 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline N Scale Newbie

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 10:27:45 PM »
Hi ntpntpntp.
yes I took the innards out of the can but kept it and the worm for the drive. then placed an N drive motor from N drive on e-bay at a very good price and it fits nicely and just needs packing to secure it. it has two shafts but the top one can be cut off. It is a replacement motor for the one mashima used to make and comes with a 1.5mm sleeve and two screws. Also prompt delivery and at the price you can afford to experiment. I have no photos as yet as I only part fitted it yesterday am now trying to figure out the best way to secure the 1.5mm sleeve to the 1.mm shaft.
I hope this helps and you are successful in getting the Jubilee going again, the othe good thing is you can use the original chassis and tender side without any butchery.
Ken :thumbsup:

Offline Doc Pye

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 12:54:04 AM »
Okay, I have been reading this thread and I am a bit confused. Where do you get these spare loco motors from??? What do you use as search terms on EvilBay? I have tried N-Drive and Motorized chassis but don't get much useful.  :confusedsign: :helpneededsign:

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 07:33:48 AM »
Okay, I have been reading this thread and I am a bit confused. Where do you get these spare loco motors from??? What do you use as search terms on EvilBay? I have tried N-Drive and Motorized chassis but don't get much useful.  :confusedsign: :helpneededsign:

Really? I simply typed in "n-drive motor" in the ebay search bar and found it in 1 second flat

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/N-Drive-1015-12v-DC-micro-motor/182870714017?epid=11014018834&hash=item2a93f1a6a1:g:uCMAAOSwICpZ9ZjU:rk:1:pf:0

« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 07:37:06 AM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £250.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: £175.00
Below Goal: £75.00
Site Currency: GBP
70% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything