New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: MDS Modell RhB models  (Read 4723 times)

Offline retica

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: MDS Modell RhB models
« Reply #150 on: October 10, 2018, 12:58:18 PM »
For information, shipping from France to New Zealand without insurance costs 27 !
If you add packing and insurance, you're surely above 30 .
The French postal service is very expensive! (and not so efficient...)

I have a Marklin 0-8-0 steam engine (heavy !!) on the way from Spain, insured with tracking number, Euro 13.75 shipping.

steve

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #151 on: October 10, 2018, 03:14:01 PM »
I've heard it many times, buy more and the shipping cost will be less. I don't know if this is really still working now days, are there still people out there who fall for that ?

My point was nothing to do with what the customers buys but what the carriers will offer to retailers - depending on how many products we finish in production each year we ship anywhere between 500 and several thousand parcels per year.  At the lower end of that scale we would not get access to certain services (eg Royal Mail's Tracked 48 service) which larger retailers have access to.  It makes a big difference in the costs of shipping!

But it is not even worth arguing with those ignorants, there are still others out there who still know the meaning of customer service. It is possible to send one or two N scale locomotives or wagons insured from Germany to NZ for Euro 6.50 !

For N gauge from the UK the size of the box is normally small enough not to make any difference to the shipping cost, but the cheapest Royal Mail tracked/insured service to NZ is still 15-18 (ie ~20+).

You could barely even ship with insurance within the UK for that little! I'd love to hear which carrier will offer such low rates?

Cheers, Mike

Offline Gizzy

• Awards
« Reply #152 on: October 10, 2018, 06:23:34 PM »
Hullo,

I've just found this thread, having joined NGF recently. I'd like to buy a couple of the MDS wagons to run with my Kato.

I've emailed MDS direct to see if I can purchase directly with PayPal.

Hopefully I will hear from them soon....
Gizzy

Offline Mike Beard

• N Gauge Society Number: 22460
    • Awards
« Reply #153 on: October 10, 2018, 07:15:16 PM »
I've had a positive reply from Kramm. The MDS-Modell wagons are in stock.

Mike Beard.

Offline Gizzy

• Awards
« Reply #154 on: October 10, 2018, 07:36:22 PM »
I've had a positive reply from Kramm. The MDS-Modell wagons are in stock.

Mike Beard.
Do you have a link to Kramm please Mike?

I had a reply from Gunnar at MDS and he doesn't do PayPal, due to the costs involved....
Gizzy

Offline retica

• Awards
« Reply #155 on: October 10, 2018, 07:40:08 PM »
For N gauge from the UK the size of the box is normally small enough not to make any difference to the shipping cost, but the cheapest Royal Mail tracked/insured service to NZ is still 15-18 (ie ~20+).

You could barely even ship with insurance within the UK for that little! I'd love to hear which carrier will offer such low rates?

Cheers, Mike

Yes, the size of the box matters, especially the height. Even here in NZ, the height is the killer. Everything within a max height of 7cm is reasonable priced. As soon as the parcel measures more than 7cm in height there is only one price, per 5kg up to 25kg total.

The Euro 6.50 shipments from Germany all come in the same standard box (not sure, maybe even a small box the post is offering ?), a box small enough to be sent as a letter and I guess that is the key, be able to send it as a letter and not a parcel. What carrier the seller from Spain is using for a heavy Marklin H0 scale locomotive I don't know yet but I was impressed with the Euro 13.75 !

Look, I know it's not cheap to send parcels but it is possible to save some coins for the buyer if the seller cares. What I don't like is the one box fits all approach from most nowadays and when asked telling me there is room for way more in the box (up to 30kg), buy more and the shipping per item in the box is cheaper (thank you for explaining me simple math - DOH !). I don't want to buy more, I want these two N scale wagons and I want the shipping priced accordingly, thank you. 

steve

Offline retica

• Awards
« Reply #156 on: October 10, 2018, 07:57:06 PM »
Do you have a link to Kramm please Mike?

google Modellbahn Kramm and that's the one.

steve

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #157 on: October 11, 2018, 10:48:41 AM »
I ended up paying Kramm by credit card over the phone. They speak good English. Whatever number I put in to pay by Bank Transfer came up up with "DB Private and Commercial Bank" in Frankfurt not Postbank in Essen. :worried:

The next post on this subject may contain PHOTOS!  :laugh3:

Mike Beard.

Offline retica

• Awards
« Reply #158 on: October 13, 2018, 08:58:34 AM »
I ended up paying Kramm by credit card over the phone.

Cunning plan with free delivery to NZ !  ;)

I ended up ordering them in Switzerland, will pay a little bit more than in Germany (Euro 4) but I can send them free to a Swiss address (Family) and have them send the cars to NZ (Free shipping for me  :dunce: )

steve

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #159 on: October 13, 2018, 09:54:21 AM »
Steve,

That's cheating!  :D

One thing that is going to be a problem is coupling compatability. I'm sitting on my hands until the wagons arrive and the replacement bogies for the tankers are here too.  :confused2:

My wagons from Kramm are coming DHL and are currently in Krefeld.  :hmmm:

Cheers,

Mike B

Offline retica

• Awards
« Reply #160 on: October 13, 2018, 10:13:38 AM »
Steve,

That's cheating!  :D

And I thought it's clever   8)

One thing that is going to be a problem is coupling compatability.

There are always the good old Micro Trains #1129 coupler to fit a standard rapido T-shank coupler box.

steve

Offline retica

• Awards
« Reply #161 on: October 13, 2018, 10:18:27 AM »
One thing that is going to be a problem is coupling compatability.
Mike B

Another solution is body mount MTL #1015 but then the cars probably wont go around your tight radius on the Filisur-Cordonbleu   ;)

steve 

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #162 on: October 15, 2018, 05:53:52 PM »
Curves - Kato 150mm. It's amazing what will go round them. 

The MDS wagons are here tomorrow apparently so perhaps by this time tomorrow I'll know the best/worst.

Mike B

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #163 on: October 18, 2018, 11:20:45 AM »
I've got my 4. Length and width are fine but I'm a tad concerned about the height, they seem taller than an EW1.  Also I think the vehicle numbers on the box ends are wrong. What is clearly a curtain side wagon carries, according the RhB wagon descriptions on their website, a number for a refrigerated wagon.

However we have our two year old grandson staying with us and he is exhausting so no progress on measuring etc until later.

Can anybody get in touch with MDS and see if they have any spare bogies? I have spare Kato EW1 bogies "in the post" so I can mess up one or two fitting MicroTrains couplings and I coulod really do with the same for these.

Cheers,

Mike Beard.

Online daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #164 on: October 18, 2018, 01:50:36 PM »
Glad to hear your wagons have arrived Mike.

You can contact Gunnar Muller at MDS by phone or email and he is usually quick to reply to emails in my experience. Contact details are in my posts #1 or #13 of this thread.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything