!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Baseball !!! Serrwiiiing, batter, batter, batter...  (Read 7401 times)

Offline emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
Re: Baseball !!! Serrwiiiing, batter, batter, batter...
« Reply #315 on: July 21, 2019, 10:27:05 PM »
Hi all,

I just want to say that this is a special day. Mariano Rivera was inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Yes, I know there has been plenty of players inducted over the years, but in the twenty years I've followed baseball he's the most memorable player I've ever watched. When I've watched Yankees matches in the past, you know, as soon as he gets on the mound, it's all over. I would have loved to see him pitch in the flesh.

The most amazing closer I've ever watched.

M.
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #316 on: July 22, 2019, 10:20:19 PM »
I agree with your assessment of Rivera!

Guess I'll not be watching much more baseball this year. Red Sox seem determined to sit out 2019. Never mind, there's always next year!!!  :D

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #317 on: July 22, 2019, 10:36:39 PM »
Hi Leon,

Don't lose hope my friend. The Giants were bottom of the NL West a few weeks ago by quite a bit but all you need is a good run and others to muck up. I think we have won 12 or 13 in the last 15 games including sweeping Colorado in Denver 4-0. Before the 'all star' game I was really losing hope but now we're joint second with Arizona.

OK the Dodgers will probably win our league but the play offs are much more fun  :). 62 games to go, who knows?

Keep the Faith!

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline emjaybee

• Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #318 on: July 22, 2019, 11:15:14 PM »
Hi Leon,

Don't lose hope my friend. The Giants were bottom of the NL West a few weeks ago by quite a bit but all you need is a good run and others to muck up. I think we have won 12 or 13 in the last 15 games including sweeping Colorado in Denver 4-0. Before the 'all star' game I was really losing hope but now we're joint second with Arizona.

OK the Dodgers will probably win our league but the play offs are much more fun  :). 62 games to go, who knows?

Keep the Faith!

Blimey!

Are you counting down already?

;D

I always think it only really gets interesting after the All-Star break. RedSox aren't far behind in the Wild Card race, I think that's our best hope of getting through to the post-season. Probably the same with the Giants as you say. Once the regular season is over it's every team for themselves, and anything can happen then.

:beers:

Offline Chetcombe

• N Gauge Society Number: 21564
    • YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #319 on: July 23, 2019, 03:20:25 AM »
Watching Yankees at the Twins on TV tonight (SWMBO is away on a business trip! 2 of the best teams in the AL, close game, both offenses playing well. All in all baseball at its best.

Off to Chicago in a couple of weeks. Unfortunately the Cubbies are out of town, but tickets in hand for the White Sox against the A's. Another stadium to cross off the list!

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #320 on: July 23, 2019, 04:08:24 AM »
I haven't given up hope completely, but after the Red Sox lost the series to the worst team in baseball, I'm not expecting anything in the post-season - and I seldom watch a regular-season game these days. Just to remind, there have been seasons (even losing seasons) when I've watched nearly every game. With the new interest in model railroads and my genealogical research, I don't have the time I used to have.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline emjaybee

• Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #321 on: August 11, 2019, 10:34:05 PM »
I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

You'd never think that the RedSox won the world series last year. With the exception of some key players half of them just seem to be going through the motions. The pitching is rather hit and miss as well.

Ah well, still plenty of good games to watch even if we're playing badly.

I hope some of you out there are getting a bit more satisfaction from the season.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #322 on: August 16, 2019, 09:53:57 AM »
Hi emjaybee,

Not looking good for the Red Sox. I suppose you've just got to keep plodding on and hope the Rays go into meltdown. It happens.

The Giants are still in with a Wild Card chance, especially beating Arizona yesterday so now both joint second. Three more games in Phoenix to go though  :worried:.

Just hope the three games we play in Boston mid September aren't crucial and we both get through.

Try and still enjoy it and keep the faith.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #323 on: August 16, 2019, 04:15:06 PM »
Reading the Boston Globe is depressing enough! I haven't watched a game for a while, and will only do so if the Red Sox can get into a play-off position. Not likely!

Not unexpectedly, the General Manager is the scapegoat. Maybe he deserves it, but this is just baseball! If the players aren't having fun, they don't play well. Some are so well paid I would expect they spend more time with their investments than thinking about the game. Like all professional sports (including college), it's all about the money - actual or anticipated. Having said that, I thoroughly enjoyed the Women's World Cup and the Netflix (Amazon?) series This is Football shouldn't be missed!

Leon

Offline emjaybee

• Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #324 on: August 16, 2019, 11:41:04 PM »
Hi all,

Oh lawd, where do I start?

The RedSox offense hasn't been too bad, but it's just not been good enough, there's still a reasonable amount of runs, again, just not enough. For my money the pitching has been the achilles heel of the team. Last year everything just worked, near perfectly. That never lasts. You can keep the entire team and it still won't perform the same, because other teams evolve. Other batters learn how to read your pitchers better, other pitchers learn how to fox your batters, I get that. I do see some fundamental c0ck ups from my point of view though. Price has apparently had some minor injury bugging him for some weeks, so why play him, pull him and use someone else.

And... for the love of Christ, why let Kimbrel AND Kelly go? I know you can't afford to keep everyone, but why let BOTH of those go. Aaaaargh!!!

:veryangry:

I think for the RedSox to make the postseason they've got to up their performance a bit, and either the Rays or the Yankees need to have a collapse something like the 2011 collapse of the RedSox, losing 18 of the last 24 games.

Can't win 'em all. I've been watching loads of other games, some good, some bad, but I do love watching the game.

The RedSox at the Giants will be entertaining, I've absolutely no idea how that's going to go.

I'm still enjoying the season, just from a different viewpoint.

:D

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #325 on: August 17, 2019, 02:17:29 AM »
I truly admire a faithful fan. I think I watched all of the Red Sox "collapse", though I don't remember the year. Some things you just want to forget!  :D

Leon

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #326 on: August 17, 2019, 08:31:14 AM »
Hi all,

Didn't see it but what a game. If you like Home Runs please watch all the way through.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6vzy49L0-s&feature=onebox

GO GIANTS!!!  :claphappy:

« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 08:39:31 AM by weave »

Offline emjaybee

• Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #327 on: August 17, 2019, 09:19:11 AM »
Watching that on YouTube was like watching the Home Run Derby.

;D

That's a great match for fans though, some awesome fielding from both sides as well.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #328 on: September 16, 2019, 10:28:06 PM »
Hi all,

Not a lot to write home about  :(. Dodgies and Yankees again. I'll be rooting for our neighbo(U)rs, the Athletics, if they make the play offs.

There was some hope for the Giants but it fizzled out. The loss of Sandoval was a big issue I think but we've also got a few new decent pitchers now so there's always next year.

Hope we can come second and overtake the D Backs so, @emjaybee , game on Wednesday morn and Thursday morn and evening (all UK times) in Boston.

Enjoy.............................the snacks  :D  ;)

Offline emjaybee

• Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #329 on: September 16, 2019, 11:11:59 PM »
Well, I've been struggling to come up with anything positive of late, and my father always says that if you can't say anything positive, then don't say anything at all.

I love 'im, but he sure as hell don't know baseball.

:'(

I'm clinging to the ever diminishing hope of a wild-card spot.

:laugh3:

All we need is to not lose a game for the rest of the season whilst everyone else has a collapse of monumental proportions.

So, y'know, never say die!

:worried:

Our pitching has been mystifying, just baffling.

So lets hope we have some close games this week.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £51.00
Below Goal: £49.00
Site Currency: GBP