!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Baseball !!! Serrwiiiing, batter, batter, batter...  (Read 3734 times)

Online emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
Re: Baseball !!! Serrwiiiing, batter, batter, batter...
« Reply #210 on: October 29, 2018, 12:05:01 PM »
Wow.

Okay, I'm kinda back in the land of the living.

Fantastic game last night. I couldn't believe Price would stay in so long, and I couldn't believe that after a postseason like this he'd still be able to perform that well. Same goes for Kershaw. After the two runs in the first I was convinced that he'd struggle to make it past three or maybe four innings. Instead we had a fantastic pitching duel right up to the seventh inning, which I thought was amazing considering the eighteen inning game earlier. Kelly also pitched well in relief.

Congrats to the Sox! That was pretty much a wire-to-wire demolition of the MLB.

You're not wrong it's been an impressive season all round. I'm used to the RedSox making a strong start and then struggling after the All-Star break. Hardly any injuries, which is rare, and they've managed to work around the ones they had. I'm also impressed with Alex Cora. He employed some brave tactics, resting key players at the tail of the regular season and mixing up the pitching order a bit. Some of his ideas seemed risky, even dangerous, at times but he held his nerve and it worked well.

Steve Pearce has also increased his profile significantly. He's been absolutely fantastic, I guess it's just his time.

I do see that his Wikipedia page has been altered. It reads...

"Steven Pearce is an American professional baseball left fielder and first baseman for the Boston Red Sox of Major League Baseball."

“He also owns the Los Angeles Dodgers baseball team and is the new mayor of Los Angeles.”

I wonder how long that'll stay up for.

It's been an interesting season, especially for RedSox fans, and it's been great that there's a good few on here that have contributed. I started this thread because @weave and I shared an interest in N gauge and baseball and it turns out that we're not alone. So for now I'll say thanks to @weave , @scottmitchell74 , @LASteve , @Leon and @Chetcombe for the contributions they've made. This season is now over, it'll be quiet for a bit, but trading carries on, spring training isn't that far away and next year here in the UK we've got Yankees vs RedSox in London! Awesome!

So please don't be strangers on this thread.

Roll on 2019. Who's year will that be?

:beers:
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #211 on: October 29, 2018, 03:10:58 PM »
Quote from: emjaybee
So for now I'll say thanks to @weave , @scottmitchell74 , @LASteve , @Leon and @Chetcombe for the contributions they've made. This season is now over, it'll be quiet for a bit, but trading carries on, spring training isn't that far away and next year here in the UK we've got Yankees vs RedSox in London! Awesome!

It was a pleasure to join this thread for the Post Season. I follow the Red Sox in the newspaper, but seldom watch a game during the regular season  (having watched virtually every game in years gone by). I think I read about the Yankee vs Red Sox game in London but had forgotten. I don't suppose it will be when I'm in England (mid-May to mid-June).

Leon

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #212 on: October 29, 2018, 04:30:10 PM »
Hi Leon,

The dates they are talking about for the Red Sox/Yankees games in London are the 29th/30th June 2019 but that could all change.

We might not have any workmen left if Brexit goes ahead so unless you bring a ton of soil with you to make the mound who knows?  :D  ;)

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #213 on: October 29, 2018, 06:54:39 PM »
We might not have any workmen left if Brexit goes ahead so unless you bring a ton of soil with you to make the mound who knows?  :D  ;)

Weave, it's easy for me to say, but I keep telling my son to relax. The sun will still rise and set after Brexit, and my bet is that "the stiff upper lip" will see the country through, once more. From what I hear about the railroad, it might be hard to get a ton of soil from the port to London on time, today! As to workmen, there will always be people who need to work, and to the point, I presume you're making, Britain will always be an attraction to people who need a "leg up". I guess the rub has been that Britain couldn't choose who those people would be?

Leon

Offline LASteve

• N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
« Reply #214 on: October 30, 2018, 02:21:28 AM »
Well, I have to say that my Dodgers pretty much got what was deserved.

A fantastic improvement in the last three years though, and Magic deserves a lot of credit for being the face of an organization that was just a mess after the ownership of the Parking Lot Baron (from Boston, ironically).

There's no doubt around the talent of the group and the commitment of the coaching staff, but I'm questioning the tactical nous - throughout the season there was a reliance on the likes of Kershaw pitching 6 1/3 or 6 2/3 and that was the expectation. When things don't go to plan, it seems we're just one hit too late to go to the bullpen, or one at bat too early to pull a reliever just because a lefty comes to the plate. There's a feeling of "management by numbers". I'd like to have seen Tony La Russa have a crack with our roster, just for, as they say, ***** and giggles.

Two years in a row at the World Series though, in spite of having to watch the visitors celebrate on our home field, is a huge improvement.

Good stuff!

Go Dodgers in 2019!

Online emjaybee

• Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #215 on: October 31, 2018, 11:17:40 PM »
Just a little footnote...

... RedSox front office took delivery of 40 pizzas courtesy of Houston Astros yesterday, apparently a recent tradition started by the 2013 RedSox to the following WS champions...

...RedSox had their victory parade in Boston today,

a couple of humerous signs by the fans (no offence intended to any fellow forum members).

I also see that the Giants are hanging on to Panda (Sandoval) and Bumgarner, hopefully that'll cheer up @weave !

RedSox are getting to keep Sale and Price as well, so that'll help.

That's all for now!

Online emjaybee

• Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #216 on: December 03, 2018, 11:18:27 AM »
Just booked 5 tickets for the Sunday game of the Yankees/RedSox London series.

I got the 'almost' cheapest seats at £60 a pop (no bleacher creature seats here at £10 each!), managed to avoid the most expensive seats at £450 each (most expensive I've ever seen in the US were £250 each).

By the time the thieving ******s had put on a service charge of £5.60 PER TICKET and postage of £4.95, it'll be almost cheaper to fly to Boston, get club level tickets, watch the game with a beer and a 'dog and fly back.

They've got a funny way of encouraging baseball in the UK. How many people do they think are going to stump up that kind of cash on a regular basis?

Happy I'm going with my best mate and his two lads and my wife, but somewhat furious at the price!

>:(

Online Trainfish

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21524
  • IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • My layout, Longcroft under construction
    • Awards
« Reply #217 on: December 03, 2018, 01:49:48 PM »

Was that some sort of Black Friday deal?

Now, where did I leave my coat?
John

To see my layout "Longcroft" which is currently under construction, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it!

<*))))><

See my Youtube video channel          >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #218 on: December 03, 2018, 01:54:38 PM »
Hi emjaybee,

Glad you got the tickets. Am sure it'll be worth it in the end.

Just had a quick look. Selling out fast. £165 was cheapest single ticket I could find for the Sunday (Norman no mates  :( ).

Found a flight to Boston for £225 but that leaves on Wednesday. Sorry, having a lazy, hungover day.

I presume the £450 seats are all inclusive corporate style type although it would have to be the best hot dog you've ever had! Also I'd want to meet the players and given a shirt, signed bat, glove etc. as I get into my stretch limo to take me home  :D

Am sure we'll speak come March/April but in advance hope you all have a great day next June.

Let's hope it's on the Tele too.

Online emjaybee

• Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #219 on: December 03, 2018, 02:23:22 PM »

Was that some sort of Black Friday deal?

Now, where did I leave my coat?

:laughabovepost:

@weave , no, from what I could see they were just seats behind home plate. I'm absolutely staggered at the prices. I realise you've got to get a lot of people from one side of the pond to the other, but I'm pretty sure they don't all need individual private jets!

I shall at some point put my grievances in writing to MLB in the US, I'm sure they'll find useful for lining their trash cans.

:veryangry:

Offline Chetcombe

• N Gauge Society Number: 21564
    • YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #220 on: December 04, 2018, 01:53:07 AM »
I'm pretty sure I have seen field level seats behind home plate at $900 at Yankee stadium (and not even in the front few rows). To put it another way, I read this season that the average ticket price for opening day game last year was $329...

The question is how much extra is it worth to have a seat for $30 in the top level (where I get vertigo!) versus $90 or so in the middle level or $200 plus at field level. Living in Philly as a Yankees fan, the best value by far is to head down to Camden Yards in Baltimore to see them against the Orioles, where a field level seat above the dugout is only about $80...

Having said that I think GBP60 (which is about $63 or so at the moment  :goggleeyes: ) isn't too bad for a seat in London given that it is such a historic event. Cheapest EPL tix I have found in my recent trips to London were GBP48 for Spurs v Palace and GBP44 for Palace v Brighton and that didn't include the compulsory membership of GBP25 in both cases spread across 2 tickets. And both were pretty poor seats to be honest!

So I am very jealous of your trip next year!!!!

Online emjaybee

• Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #221 on: Yesterday at 08:27:06 AM »
Just been reading about the winter meetings of the General Managers of MLB.

This quote from Brian Cashman, GM of the Yankees...

"All I can keep telling you is, you know where my current focuses are, but at the same time we're a fully operational Death Star."

Gotta love him for embracing the 'Evil Empire' reputation.

;D

Online emjaybee

• Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #222 on: Yesterday at 03:34:41 PM »
Well, Joe Kelly (relief pitcher) has signed a three year deal, not with the RedSox...

...with...

...the Dodgers!

:veryangry:

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #223 on: Yesterday at 06:15:28 PM »
You'd have thought with a name like Joe Kelly that he'd have wanted to stay in Boston to be sure.

Maybe too much Guinness temptation there or maybe he just wanted some Californian sun dude.

Anyway, we'll sort him out come April.

Online emjaybee

• Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #224 on: Yesterday at 08:33:51 PM »
I love the guy, he came in relief in a Yankees/RedSox game purely to drill Austin Tyler who'd previously slid dangerously into second and took out one of our guys. He bean'd him with a 100mph fast ball! That's what I call justice. I'll miss him.

:wave:

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £287.00
Above Goal: £232.00
Site Currency: GBP