New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Baseball !!! Serrwiiiing, batter, batter, batter...  (Read 3692 times)

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
Re: Baseball !!! Serrwiiiing, batter, batter, batter...
« Reply #105 on: August 05, 2018, 08:30:04 PM »
Hi Weave,

It'd be good to have another baseball fan on here.

I'm a sorta baseball fan. Check the standings daily, and watch the occasional game on TV. I live near Boston, though, so you KNOW I'm a Red Sox fan. Grew up listening to St. Louis Cardinals baseball with Harry Carey! Harry went on to Chicago, where he made his name (and money). Opened a bar/restaurant in Chicago and I met him there in the mid-1990s. My hero was Stan Musial, and I have a Royal Doulton vase purchased from his estate. Not baseball memorabilia, of course, but proves he was a multi-dimensional person. A true gentleman who did more than most for the game of baseball.

Weave sent me here, so if I talk too much you can blame him!

I envy your impending trip to the U. S. My wife and I have talked of just such a trip - minus the baseball. We'd love to drive from Denver to Seattle. We've travelled to California a few times, but have not visited any of the other Western states. Maybe some day? I flew into Seattle on a trip to Alaska, once, but that doesn't count. I don't envy you the flight to Denver. We visit our son in Bath and relatives in Scotland every year, but it's become so exhausting we now do it just once a year.

Red Sox vs Yankees - first pitch, 8:10 in ESPN. :)

Leon

Online emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: August 05, 2018, 09:35:56 PM »
Hi Weave,

It'd be good to have another baseball fan on here.

I'm a sorta baseball fan. Check the standings daily, and watch the occasional game on TV. I live near Boston, though, so you KNOW I'm a Red Sox fan. Grew up listening to St. Louis Cardinals baseball with Harry Carey! Harry went on to Chicago, where he made his name (and money). Opened a bar/restaurant in Chicago and I met him there in the mid-1990s. My hero was Stan Musial, and I have a Royal Doulton vase purchased from his estate. Not baseball memorabilia, of course, but proves he was a multi-dimensional person. A true gentleman who did more than most for the game of baseball.

Weave sent me here, so if I talk too much you can blame him!

I envy your impending trip to the U. S. My wife and I have talked of just such a trip - minus the baseball. We'd love to drive from Denver to Seattle. We've travelled to California a few times, but have not visited any of the other Western states. Maybe some day? I flew into Seattle on a trip to Alaska, once, but that doesn't count. I don't envy you the flight to Denver. We visit our son in Bath and relatives in Scotland every year, but it's become so exhausting we now do it just once a year.

Red Sox vs Yankees - first pitch, 8:10 in ESPN. :)

Leon

Welcome Leon!

The more the merrier. Talk all you like. I first got into baseball on a trip to New England, centred about an hour outside of Boston, 19 years ago. The friend we stayed with asked if there was anything we'd like to do whilst there and I said I'd like to see a baseball game. Hooked ever since! Been to Fenway 3 times, and try to fit in a 'ball game every time we go to the US, which is most years as my wife worked for British Airways for 28 years and we still get free flights. I just love the friendly atmosphere of a game, the wife enjoys it too which is helpful. (Club class, which makes the flights easier on the body, although we occasionally get bumped to Economy if the flights get full).

I'm hoping for a 4 game sweep tonight. I follow it on MLB.TV on the internet. Weave keeps threatening to get it too.

:beers:

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Offline Chetcombe

• N Gauge Society Number: 21564
    • YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: August 06, 2018, 05:40:08 AM »
12.38pm EST here in Pennsylvania and the Red Sox Yankees has gone to extra innings. I'm dreading a 4-0 sweep by the Sox!

I was in Boston on Thursday and Friday but work got in the way of a trip to Fenway:(

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: August 06, 2018, 06:18:21 AM »
My claim to fame is I watched a Boston game on TV one afternoon in a very crowded pub in Burlington, Vermont once.

Closest I've ever been to baseball, but I enjoyed the game. It was against the Yankees, but I can't remember who won, it was thirteen years ago.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #109 on: August 06, 2018, 07:54:41 AM »
Hi Chetcombe,

What can I say except sorry, you must be gutted. Obviously emjaybee and Leon will be over the moon. Not much consolation but sounds like a cracker for a neutral so I'll be finding the highlights when they appear a bit later.

Maybe you should pull a Monday sickie and go to a bar. Dr. weave's orders.

Chin up.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: August 06, 2018, 08:07:31 AM »
 :laughabovepost: :laughabovepost:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online emjaybee

• Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: August 06, 2018, 08:19:48 AM »
 :claphappy: :claphappy: :claphappy: :claphappy:

'Tis a rare thing, a four game sweep of the Yankees. Haven't seen the highlights yet, that'll be this evening.

Well done to your Giants Weave.

Gotta go to work!

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: August 06, 2018, 07:15:44 PM »
I'm a bit bleary eyed, today, but the result of the Red Sox - Yankees game makes it all worthwhile. I was in bed by 1:00 a.m., not that late for me, but the game was about 4 1/2 hours. That's why I don't watch them on a regular basis! I gave up on the Red Sox in the first game of the series, so figured I owed it to them to stay til the end, last night. So glad I did. It WAS a special game.

Leon

Online emjaybee

• Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: August 06, 2018, 10:54:24 PM »
Wowsers!

Just watched the game highlights, crikey.

Sorry Chetcombe. You get about a bit bloke, you really need to work on your timings. You missed a Giants game the other week didn't you?

Nice to hear @Bealman has had some experience of the atmosphere when a games on.

I need a lie down, far too much excitement for a Monday evening.

:sweat:

Offline Chetcombe

• N Gauge Society Number: 21564
    • YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: August 07, 2018, 06:44:24 AM »
So a 4 zip sweep and plenty of messages of 'condolences' from the Red Sox contingent on the forum!

But I will remain positive. The Yanks go into a 26 game run against teams with no more than an ok record before 6 more against the Sux at the end of the regular season. Boston must be a due a hiccup or three (surely... well fingers crossed anyway!). Stranger things have happened, think Bucky Dent or Aaron Boone... must remain bullish!

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #115 on: August 11, 2018, 07:28:59 AM »
Hi all,

Well the Giants made hard work of that one...

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/pirates-vs-giants/2018/08/10/531151#game_state=final,game_tab=box,game=531151

I came downstairs at the top of the fifth and was all smiley. However, after leading against the Astros in both recent games and then losing them in the 9th and then the 8th the Pirates' Grand Slam in the seventh started the panic to set in.

Got there in the end. Phew. Still trailing in the league but the D backs and dodgies lost (albeit to the Rockies) so there is still some optimism.

Me heart's stopped a pounding now so need to get it ready for two UK time Sunday games.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: August 11, 2018, 03:22:08 PM »
There was a slugfest in Baltimore last night - 19 to 12, I believe. The Red Sox prevailed, Betts hit for the cycle, and the Sox broke their losing streak (one game)!

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: August 11, 2018, 05:20:47 PM »
Betts hit for the cycle in the third game of the Toronto series. I may have been confused about last night, though I believe he had a lot of hits. I didn't watch the entire game. Just can't easily tolerate our hour plus sessions in front of the TV. There's a lot of talk about declining interest in baseball - due largely to the length of games. Lot's of suggestions for shortening the game, including limiting the number of relief pitchers (which I've supported for a long time). The most recent suggestion I've read would limit the length of TV commercial breaks. While I'd be in favor of that, also, it would save at most about ten minutes over the duration of the game. The arguement is that other ways can be found to fund the sport/business. After all, REAL football doesn't have breaks in the action for commercials and interests has never been greater - or profits higher!

Leon

Online emjaybee

• Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: August 11, 2018, 06:29:20 PM »
Good evening 'ball fans!

Well it's all been happening. There must have been something in the air State side last night, RedSox/Orioles, Rangers/Yankees, Giants/Pirates, slug-fest city. I reckon it must have looked like batting practice to the fans.

;D

Tough pill to swallow for the Yankees, bested by the Rangers. Poor old Chetcombe. I hadn't heard the RedSox called the Sux before.  :smiley-laughing:

I'm hoping any hiccups will be small.

Leon, I agree the games seem to be too long. They looked at having a 'pitch-clock' to speed up delivery, and then went and introduced video umpire which probably adds 15/20 minutes a game! They could also limit the number of times a pitcher can throw to first, it gets very tedious when they throw to first for the fourth time in a row!

:sleep:

I booked tickets for the wife and I to watch Dodgies/Rockies in a few weeks time last night, Weave, I shall be supporting the Rockies unless something changes and you need me to switch. We won't be watching the Mariners at the other end of the trip as they'll be in Texas. Hey-ho.

Right, I'm off to watch the RedSox/Orioles.

Oh yes, commiserations to @scottmitchell74, the Orioles are the first team to hit their elimination number. Er, just realised we (RedSox) were responsible for that, sorry. Tough season.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #119 on: August 11, 2018, 08:15:25 PM »
Good evening emjaybee,

Know you're busy with the game (doing well so far) but was wondering where you prefer to sit if you can get preferred tickets in that area.

I just winged it many moons ago but had an OK seat but out in the field (ish). Not literally  :)

Had a quick look at AT and T Park seating arrangement colours and it looks very complicated if you want to book one in advance.

Saying that, I'd probably been on my own as the wife's not a fan so if the ticket said cheap and there's a bar, I'd go that one!!

Answer at your leisure Sir. Enjoy.

I hope not to be up at 2am but am looking forward to the 9pm game vs Pittsburgh.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here