New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Baseball !!! Serrwiiiing, batter, batter, batter...  (Read 3694 times)

Online emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
Re: Baseball !!! Serrwiiiing, batter, batter, batter...
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2018, 01:02:59 PM »
Are you awake @weave ?

Thought you'd perhaps be drowning your sorrows, that was a bit of a thumping last night.

Cheer up bloke.

:beers:
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Offline weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2018, 08:20:10 PM »
Thank you Mr. 13 wins  :),

The only good thing was that it was a 9.15 ish pm UK start so didn't waste my sleeping time.

Watched Match of the Day 2 and occasionally looked in to see how many more runs we were haemorrhaging   :doh:

Still haven't had a hot dog night this season. Maybe that's where I/we (SF) are going wrong.

Off to Phoenix next but will wait til time favourable (sorry favorable  :D) games in the East.

Think wednesday 25th is a day/night split game at Washington so 8.45 pm (UK) start for the second game. Gives me time to talk my wife into the nutritional benefits of onions boiled in water and butter, white bread, frenchie's yellow goo and the 'god knows what' dog.

You asked if I was drowning my sorrows. I've supported Portsmouth FC for 40 odd years and the Giants for 16. I consider myself semi pro now!

Cheers weave  :beers:

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 08:23:20 PM by weave »

Online Intercity

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2018, 10:06:54 PM »
We got smoked today 8-2 against Arizona, yep the Phils suck again this year
Support crowdfunding - itís the way forward

Revolutions class 321 needs your help, letís make it happen.

Online emjaybee

• Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2018, 10:24:13 PM »
I've been trying to keep my head below the parapet. It's all going far too well so far, you know how easy it is to jinx a hot streak!

We've lost Joe Kelly for six games with a suspension. I'm not getting into the politics of that one. I'm sure we'll survive.

I've managed to watch a few games in the evening, all different teams. Arizona are really gunning for it.

I like Weave's idea of a 'hot-dog' session whilst watching. It tends to be strong coffee and sugary snacks for me (I doze easily!)

:foodanddrink:

Offline Chetcombe

• N Gauge Society Number: 21564
    • YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2018, 10:47:51 PM »
Well I'm feeling better this week compared to last, when the Sox were at 17-2 and we were at .500. Batting line starting to fire on all cylinders now that Boone is picking the baby bombers like Gleyber Torres over the journeymen he brought in. May 8th sees the Red Sox in the Bronx for a 3 game series...

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2018, 11:46:50 PM »
Hi Team,

I wasn't going to say anything after yesterday evening's thrashing by Washington (sorry don't know US terms. I know a few choice UK ones that could express my feelings better but family forum), however as a few of you are on here, thought I'd share as it gets worse.

They didn't have the hot dogs I normally (occasionally) buy and the ones I did buy were revolting. Put a pizza on instead, forgot about it and burnt it so ended up eating cheese and onion Ringos and a whole big bar of Cadbury's Caramel. The booze was fine though. Please don't show this to my doctor  :D.

The Dodgies are in town so my mood might get even worse. NO, think positive, better. BEAT LA, BEAT LA!!!!!

Offline scottmitchell74

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2018, 12:33:56 AM »
Oy...my O's are utterly worthless. Goodbye, Machado.
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2018, 09:53:30 AM »
Morning all.

In a much better mood today :claphappy:

Quick question as my baseball rules knowledge is say 'still learning'.

Can you explain why SF score after the LA pitcher does this? (around 1 min 30 secs in)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTR2IpdILVY&feature=onebox

The commentator calls it something but can't make it out. Is it a bar?

Thanks for any help.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 09:54:58 AM by weave »

Online emjaybee

• Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2018, 10:48:40 AM »
Morning all.

In a much better mood today :claphappy:

Quick question as my baseball rules knowledge is say 'still learning'.

Can you explain why SF score after the LA pitcher does this? (around 1 min 30 secs in)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTR2IpdILVY&feature=onebox

The commentator calls it something but can't make it out. Is it a bar?

Thanks for any help.

Okay, here goes.

The Umpires called a 'Balk'.

The Wiki definition says:

"In baseball, a pitcher can commit a number of illegal motions or actions that constitute a balk. Most of these violations involve a pitcher pretending to pitch when he has no intention of doing so. In games played under the Official Baseball Rules, a balk results in a dead ball or delayed dead ball."

Whilst the pitcher didn't intentionally (probably) try to deceive the batter, it is still classified as a balk.

The MLB Umpire rulebook says this:

49. PENALTY FOR BALK

Rule 6.02(a) [former Rule 8.05]:

Under Official Baseball Rule 6.02(a) [former OBR 8.05], the penalty for a balk shall be: The ball is dead (when play stops), and each runner shall advance one base without liability to be put out unless the batter reaches first base on a hit, an error, a base on balls, a hit batter, or otherwise and all other runners advance at least one base, in which case the play proceeds without reference to the balk. The penalty for a balk provides that if a batter reaches first base safely on a hit or error, base on balls, or otherwise on a pitch on which a balk is called, the batter shall be entitled to first base only if all other runners have advanced one base or more on the play, in which case the balk is disregarded. If the batter-runner and all other runners do not advance, the balk penalty prevails, the batter must return to the batterís box with the previous count, and runners advance one base as penalty for the balk. A runner who misses the first base to which the runner is advancing and who is called out on appeal shall be considered as having advanced one base for the purpose of this rule. When a balk is made on a pitch that is a fourth ball it shall be ruled the same as when the batter hits a balk pitch and is safe on a hit or error, provided all runners advance at least one base on the play. Therefore, with a runner on first, first and second, or first, second and third, when a balk is called on the fourth ball, the batter goes to first base and all runners advance at least one base. If they attempt to advance more than one base, they do so at their own risk. However, if first base is not occupied and all other runners do not advance at least one base on the play, the balk penalty prevails: The ball is dead; the batter returns to the batterís box and assumes the same ball and strike count as before the balk pitch; and all runners are allowed to advance one base as penalty for the balk. Note that in cases where a pitcher balks and throws wild, either to a base or to home plate, a runner may advance beyond the base to which such runner is entitled by the balk, at his own risk.

I originally tried to explain this in my own words, and gave up swiftly. I hope this clears up your question.

Let me know when you get to the questions about the 'in-field fly' rule. That's a heck-of-a lot easier to explain.

;)

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2018, 11:27:36 AM »
Hi emjaybee,

Thanks for that. Got the gist of it.

Felt (a bit) sorry for the guy as I think he just had a 'one too many beers' moment  :D so nothing dubious intended.

Am sure more questions will arise over the course of the season so glad you're here to help.

Hope you enjoy the weekend games. Think we are 9.05 pm UK time today so fingers crossed to avert bad luck revenge.

Online emjaybee

• Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2018, 01:06:05 AM »
Just finished watching the RedSox play the Rays...

...for those that don't follow baseball, this is what it feels like to watch a live game...

:beers:

:headbutt:

:laugh2:

>:(

:claphappy:

:veryangry2:

:dighole:

I have nothing more to say on the matter.

Offline Chetcombe

• N Gauge Society Number: 21564
    • YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2018, 05:33:53 AM »
Who would have thought it, 8 straight for the Rays and 8 straight for the Yankees... and I thought the AL East was over in mid April!

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2018, 09:15:23 AM »
Hi emjaybee,

Was having a similar  :censored: time of it last night, losing 15-6 to the Dodgers.

The great thing about baseball is the amount of games so, went to bed annoyed but as it was a double header woke up to good news (8-3 win) and got another one to look forward to this evening  :claphappy:.

Good luck for a bounce back this evening at 6.05 pm (UK). We're playing at 10.05 pm (UK) but will keep an eye on yours beforehand if you need to vent any frustrations or joys.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 09:18:17 AM by weave »

Online emjaybee

• Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2018, 11:53:18 AM »
Who would have thought it, 8 straight for the Rays and 8 straight for the Yankees... and I thought the AL East was over in mid April!

Oh it's never over. Welcome to the Yo-Yo AL East. They go up, they go down, they go up...

...repeat ad-nauseum.

::)

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2018, 09:27:48 PM »
emjaybee  :claphappy:,

You gotta thank Andrew Kittridge (TB pitcher), bottom of the 6th.

What a load of balls!!!  :D

Back on the horse.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here