New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Gaugemaster Dcc23 decoder problem  (Read 617 times)

Offline AdyDnt

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Gaugemaster Dcc23 decoder problem
« on: February 10, 2018, 12:22:05 AM »
Can anybody help ?
Iíve just bought an NCE Powercab system and 2 Gaugemaster decoders for my first experience of dcc control. With a decoder fitted in my Farish Deltic prototype and Farish 4-6-0 B1 they donít want to increase in speed past step 14 even when 28 steps is selected in the decoder config (CV29). Iím wondering if the decoders are faulty ?

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
Re: Gaugemaster Dcc23 decoder problem
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 09:19:58 AM »
First of all, welcome to the forum, great to have you on board.  Let us know what your plans are, what sort of layout do you have or are you still planning, what region, country etc as we are a nosey lot on here.

The Gaugemaster DCC23 is not a very good chip and if you search on the forum you will see many references to poor running.  Dependant on how old it is, it is either a rebadged downgraded Digitrax DZ123 or a DZ125, the 123 was very basic and doesn't even have BMF so you have very little motor control and if memory serves me well only basic speed adjustment.

I'm sure others will be along to add their experiences of the DCC23.

Online Paul-H

• N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 09:30:04 AM »
Have you tried changing the speed steps using the NEC handset, try changing it to 128 and see what happens the DCC23 supports 128 steps
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Offline AdyDnt

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 10:13:53 AM »
When you press the button on the power cab for 128 steps you again only get acceleration up to halfway through the speed steps, so at step 64 you get no more acceleration. I can’t fault the running of it otherwise.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 11:14:34 AM by AdyDnt »

Offline AdyDnt

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 05:22:27 PM »
I visited Digitrains in Lincoln today and took my loco with me and had them run it on their test layout, they replicated the problem and advised me to run it in again, plugged the chip into a test motor and it ran fine so ruled out the chip and said the loco ran well too. So we shall see what happens after another running in period.

Offline AdyDnt

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 07:33:33 PM »
Well after purchasing a Bachmann decoder all seems to be working properly out the box, the Gaugemaster ones have been retuned, donít think Iíll be using them again.

Online Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 08:45:28 PM »
I use DCC23's on all of my loco's.  It sounds like you needed to adjust the CV values, so it knows when the loco is at it's peak.

Offline AdyDnt

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 12:35:49 AM »
Adjusting the cvís made no difference whatsoever

Offline Madrigal

• Advertiser
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21518
    • Wickness Models
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 12:33:27 AM »
This was a very common feature with the original DZ125 and DZ126 decoders a few years ago, it was common when using any controller whether US or EU in origin, I saw it with Lenz Set 100, ECoS and Powercab, essentially the loco would stop accelerating at exactly half power whether 28 or 128 speed steps was in use. I'm not sure how a current DCC23 or DZ126 decoder performs but they are one and the same. I would tend to agree that the Digitrax DZ126 is a relatively poor decoder but it does not always perform like this, better options though are Lenz Silver Mini or ESU Nano, more expensive but more reliable without major cv adjustment

Offline AdyDnt

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 07:18:36 PM »
I ended up buying the Bachmann packaged zimo MX622N, which worked straight away, then bought a pair of zimo packaged ones as there a bit cheaper, all run brilliantly.

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 07:26:36 PM »
You get what you pay for in DCC and Zimo are amongst the best for motor control and sound.   :thumbsup:

Offline pauliebanger

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 01:37:51 PM »
I find it hard to understand why anyone would pay  hundreds of pounds for their models, then penny pinch on cheap decoders.

Like running a Ferrari on paraffin: never going to give optimal performance.

ZIMO have been making decoders since 1979, not surprising they have such a phenominal repution for quality and reliability.

Now that ZIMO offers budget priced decoders with the same superb motor control as their more expensive stablemates I'm at a loss as to why anyone would even consider other brands*.

That's before you take into account that they are software updateable (few others are) so that new features are added regularly. Your 5 year old purchase can be brought bang up to date with free software downloads from ZIMO website.

*Except maybe, if you use Digitrax transponding then Digitrax decoders make sense.

Kind regards,

Paul

Offline AdyDnt

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 07:55:43 PM »
The Gaugemaster ones were dearer than the zimo ones lol

Offline pauliebanger

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 10:46:54 PM »
The Gaugemaster ones were dearer than the zimo ones lol

LOL.

Not even the excuse of saving a few bob remains in favour of cheap decoders.

That just illustrates how much the market has been turned on it's head in the last twelve months or so.

Your observation serves to strengthen my view that only those unable to keep up with the pace of change still advocate the use of poorly functioning, lowly specified cheap decoders (Digitrax transponding users excepting).

Once you have used a ZIMO, nothing else will come close.

Kind regards,

Paul

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £130.00
Above Goal: £75.00
Site Currency: GBP
236% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything