New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: 125x60 and a bit!  (Read 948 times)

Offline Mito

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
125x60 and a bit!
« on: February 04, 2018, 09:32:52 PM »
The title is the size of the board, in millimetres, the bit will become obvious later. Comments are very welcome. Forget the horrible colours,they are there to help my befuddled brain. Withy Jct is taking a long time to complete to the stage of running trains so I thought of something smaller so that I can run trains and also run in a couple of new ones I have and check others after a service.
The base is a sheet of rigid insulation foam braced with what ever wood I had to hand. The original idea was to make a small 0n30 mini layout with some old kit I have but :ngauge: rules.
This also has to be a low cost effort using leftovers though a circle of set track will have to be bought.

This is the first idea but the head shunt is very short and doesn't give much operational interest.

The second idea using 1st rad set track. As I need to run tender locos I think 1st rad is too tight.

Similar but with 2nd rad curves. Very near the edge but anti-fall protection will be made. The "bit" now could be used to make the baseboard slightly wider so 2nd rad curves are a little safer but would make the baseboard heavier. I can carry it with one hand at the moment. I will have to buy a couple more points for this one. Perhaps a bit more stock as well to justify the postage :)-
The brown lines are backscenes, blue water, though in the last one the track has jumped off the bridge and the rectangles are industries yet to be decided on.
Ideas please-
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: 125x60 and a bit!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 06:36:20 AM »
That looks interesting.  As far as Withy Junction is concerned, take your time.  I rushed along to get my trains running and now, a year later, I think I'm paying the price with continual snags arising.  I feel like stripping it all down and starting again.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 08:06:10 AM »
Hi Brian,

I'd go with option 3. It looks an attractive little layout. A short headshunt would not be that unusual where the lay of the land prevented a longer one. Cant Cove has a headshunt partly built out into the actual Cove. It is fairly long compared with the pair of quite short sidings (prototypical for North Cornwall) except that it also gives access to the loco shed (there is just enough room for a Bulleid Light Pacific to access it).

Cant Cove has a similar lightweight compound baseboard: rigid insulation foam on a lightweight wooden base. A big advantage of the insulation foam is that it is easy to landscape (like the sunken lane near the loco shed at Cant Cove) plus it deadens sound.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 08:21:00 AM »
Hi Brian,

Good idea to get things running and keep the Mojo going.

All looks good to me.

Perhaps a causeway through the water, with the small bridge, to save you buying more bridges. Here's the one at Poole for potential inspiration .......

https://table158photography.weebly.com/uploads/8/2/1/2/8212554/mj0363.jpg.

Looking forward to the build.

Cheers weave  :beers:

EDIT PS Agree with Chris so Option 3 and hence the water suggestion.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 08:24:33 AM by weave »

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 08:33:32 AM »
Hi Brian,

All looks good to me.

Perhaps a causeway through the water, with the small bridge, to save you buying more bridges. Here's the one at Poole for potential inspiration .......

I've been over that line to Poole quite a few times and agree with Chris (Weave) that a version of that would be excellent and save the cost of buying a much longer bridge. (I may even have a spare bridge which was too long for Cant Cove but like the one at Poole.)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 02:00:51 PM »
The title is the size of the board, in millimetre

Ideas please-

My idea is 125 x 60 in millimetres is 5 inches x 2Ĺ inches (roughly)
Can you go a bit bigger, d'you think? :D ;)

Offline fisherman

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 04:15:17 PM »
move the  head shunt    30  degrees  north ?

so it  is   straight and  you  gain  a  few  more  mms ?
<o({{{<<

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 06:24:16 PM »
The title is the size of the board, in millimetre

Ideas please-

My idea is 125 x 60 in millimetres is 5 inches x 2Ĺ inches (roughly)
Can you go a bit bigger, d'you think? :D ;)

Oops :doh: Read centimetres. Too much rush-
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 06:30:23 PM »
Hi Brian,

All looks good to me.

Thanks for the photo. A good idea though I have a couple of bridges. The last plan  was done in a hurry and I didn't move the bridge in line with the track.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 06:37:53 PM »
Thanks all for the replies. I'll go with the last one but try to do without the "bit" and if it's necessary when I see the track down I'll add a little bulge in the base to protect the track. I want to keep the weight down-

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 08:15:19 PM »
Bit late as you say the decision had been made but yes, Iím with version 3 too.
I like Chrisí (weave) idea about a causeway.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 08:47:20 PM »

Thanks. Yes I think I'll try and incorporate a causeway. My idea is to put a second layer of insulation board on top and cut an elevated section where the blue is. I can shape it similar to Weave's photo.
I'm sorry I must hold you in partial blame for this slight change in direction :). I've had this in the back of my mind for a while but your layout in a case pushed me into mobility!

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 08:51:38 PM »

Thanks. Yes I think I'll try and incorporate a causeway. My idea is to put a second layer of insulation board on top and cut an elevated section where the blue is. I can shape it similar to Weave's photo.
I'm sorry I must hold you in partial blame for this slight change in direction :). I've had this in the back of my mind for a while but your layout in a case pushed me into mobility!
Iím glad that I was able to get you moving.
Have fun. Iím looking forward to the build.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 09:17:59 PM »
I shall get an order off for some bits but it could take up to 2 weeks for the parcel to arrive. I do envy you lot with next day delivery.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2018, 08:42:08 PM »
Bits have arrived so after this I'll move across to the construction.

The plan! Not set in stone but will be close. "The bit" is a small extension to the board to prevent accidents to locos and stock. The dotted lines are where backscenes will be built.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here