New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Charlport Junction - N gauge in the garage  (Read 4828 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Charlport Junction - N gauge in the garage
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2018, 01:01:51 PM »
......... and what progress looks like when you don't clean up for the camera

I wish mine was that tidy. I don't currently have a single foot of unburied track to run something on :'(

@tutenkhamunsleeping
But you're only meant to ballast up to sleeper level, Steve, not entirely cover the track :no:

Online Train Waiting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2018, 09:59:08 AM »
Hello Dave

Thank you very much for the description of your point operating arrangements and for the helpful photographs.

I have started to find below-baseboard point motors to be an irritation and have used Kato track on my most recent layout for this reason.  But I really want to use Peco track again and have been mulling over some form of 'wire in tube' or 'bicycle spoke' operation.  I had been wondering about combining this with Peco point motors; your solution is ideal.

Thank you very much indeed for taking the time long to explain this so clearly.

All the very best.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2018, 03:11:42 PM »
Under close supervision from the gang master, good progress has been made by the PW gang today. The majority of scenic side track is now in position (held with pins but not stuck down). All live frog droppers are in place and some DC feeds...... next steps will be a continuity/isolation test, Uncoupling electromagnets, point motor wires-in-tubes and base board joints when the coper clad board arrives. Lots to do but no hurry as I must do some more on my 00 before the grandsons come to play.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 03:12:51 PM by DaveGlew »
If it looks right, it probably is right.

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2018, 08:52:58 AM »
It certainly is great progress, Dave.

The Head Ganger has obtained maximum productivity!  What's the Head Ganger's name?

By the way, it looks to me from the arrangement of the goods yard that you have decided not to include the kick-back siding we discussed earlier.  If so, I think you have done the right thing.  Shunting it would either have been fascinating or a nuisance, according to your point of view.

The arrangement of your branch line platform on a loop is a lovely idea.  It sort of slightly reminds me of Oxenholme or Dunblane.  A nice variation from a bay platform.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2018, 09:10:26 AM »
Thanks John..... Oscar is a hard taskmaster. I took feedback from many great contributors to this forum (Note to moderators - this really is a "friendly" forum) on the track plan and liked your suggestion on ditching the kickback so thanks. In the end, if its not perfect/prototypical, so be it......sometimes you have to "just do it".

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2018, 05:36:14 PM »
THat looks good.
I love the gentle curve into the station and the goods yard area is simple and not overdone.
Looking forward to seeing more progress. Hopefully Oscar will keep you on your toes (though he does look rather laid back).
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2018, 06:47:18 PM »
Not much progress at Charlport Junction to show in pictures. Having fitted locking hinges to the split fiddle yard, I discovered that, when folding away as two separate pieces, the baseboard joins interfered with each other. I have now re-engineered the fold down section to operate as one piece, but retained a split in case the thing ever needs to be taken apart. Hinges have always been my nemesis. All point motors and wire/tubes now installed - just waiting for more accessory switches to arrive. Next step - the dreaded copper clad baseboard joins.

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2018, 07:03:58 PM »
Next step - the dreaded copper clad baseboard joins.

Rather you than me, Dave.  Baseboard joins are my most potent aversion (apart from people that are unkind to children or animals).  In the interests of a happy life, I  have resolved to never have any baseboard joins again. 

I wish you the very best of British luck with the joins.

John

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2018, 05:18:48 PM »
They say you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs....... track laying at Charlport Junction is progressing well, along with my own job creation scheme for the cleanup team.
Taking a gamble with the set track insulfrogs in the fiddle yard - should be able to swap easily if they become an issue but I want to keep the yard as simple as possible.
Time for tea I think.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 07:33:23 PM by DaveGlew »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2018, 08:30:57 PM »
Taking a gamble with the set track insulfrogs in the fiddle yard - should be able to swap easily if they become an issue but I want to keep the yard as simple as possible.

Guess it depends what you'll be running, Dave.
What will you be cutting the tracks over the join with?

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2018, 08:34:43 PM »

Guess it depends what you'll be running, Dave.
What will you be cutting the tracks over the join with?
Running steam with and without tenders, so will suck it and see. Think I will cut rail with a razor saw as slitting discs seem a bit big, but happy to take advice from those who've got the T-Shirt
 :helpneededsign:
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 10:03:47 AM by DaveGlew »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2018, 10:05:42 AM »
Looking good and nice straight track.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2018, 10:12:17 AM »
I guess it was inevitable when removing the sleepers...........some fine tuning with the track gauge is required today

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2018, 09:57:05 PM »
Well it's all been a bit quiet at Charlport Junction recently. "Minding" sick grandchildren, fine weather for gardening and waiting for modelling orders to arrive have all but stalled progress. All mainline and branch line track is now laid and stuck down, as is the fiddle yard........ just the siding to lay but this will probably wait until the goods yard/station forecourt are better defined in my head. All points are now connected to their motors (except storage yard which remains manual until I know if I can trust the settrack points) via wires inside ptfe tubes - note the tactical avoidance of W. I. T. reference as it has had the potential for confusion in the past. All points droppers are dropped. Next step is to finalise the uncoupling locations and fit electromagnets. Once that's done, progress will move to wiring in the feeds, frog switches and tag strips for linking back to the control panel. Also, track at baseboard joints has yet to be cut - this will wait until electrical continuity and smooth running has been confirmed. Pics will follow once I have had time to tidy up.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2018, 10:57:46 PM »
 :hellosign:  :photospleasesign: all sounds good
     regards Derek.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00