!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Charlport Junction - N gauge in the garage  (Read 4867 times)

Offline Carmont

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: Charlport Junction - N gauge in the garage
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2018, 02:07:21 PM »
:helpneededsign:
With baseboard construction well underway for Charlport Junction it is time to turn my attention to finalising the track plan. The scenario is a ubiquitous GWR junction with double track mainline and single track branch and goods services (with inspiration taken from Charlbury, Halwill Junction and Cleobury Mortimer - you'll not spot much resemblance though).
As always, I expect to have to bend and stretch things a little but for now I would welcome your thoughts and comments on the track plan please (note: all roads L & R lead to fiddle yard behind backscene). Please feel free to comment on any glaring errors, wrong roads etc.etc. before I embark on sectionalising the thing for dc. You will see that the ES is shown in 2 optional places..... I fancy replacing one location with some kind of light industry e.g. agricultural engineers, dairy etc. so welcome comments on which to keep and which to change. Thanks.

I think the plan looks pretty good, and quite interesting to operate.

If it were I, I would have the points at the bottom left, just before the branch-line meets the platform rearranged so it was a trailing point, from the clockwise main-line track's point of view. I would then delete the facing points between the platforms. I think that arrangement would have been more likely for the station layout you have there.

Offline DaveGlew

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2018, 05:37:32 PM »
Thanks for taking time out guys....
1) CS = coal staiths
2) Access from clockwise loop - agree this is convoluted but wasn't sure how to "unconvolute" it and keep trailing points -  any suggestions ?
3) My preference was to put a dairy in lieu of lower ES... thanks for the suggestions Nobby & Craig
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 05:39:21 PM by DaveGlew »
If it looks right, it probably is right.

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2018, 05:43:30 PM »
 :thankyousign:
Thanks Carmont.. that would simplify things as well as improving access - great suggestion
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 05:45:07 PM by DaveGlew »

Offline Carmont

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2018, 07:31:31 PM »
Thanks Carmont.. that would simplify things as well as improving access - great suggestion

Prototypically, goods trains travelling clockwise would have two options to access the goods yard. Either stop and run 'round their train at the platform and then cross into the anti-clockwise line to then reverse into the goods yard, OR travel past the station to a run 'round loop further up the line, then return to your station on the anti-clockwise line and then reverse into the goods yard.

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2018, 07:36:01 PM »

Prototypically, goods trains travelling clockwise would have two options to access the goods yard. Either stop and run 'round their train at the platform and then cross into the anti-clockwise line to then reverse into the goods yard, OR travel past the station to a run 'round loop further up the line, then return to your station on the anti-clockwise line and then reverse into the goods yard.
With an Engine Shed on site I was thinking that maybe a Tank Engine stabled locally could pick up the goods rather than relying on a "run round" ?????

Offline Carmont

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2018, 07:46:19 PM »
I'm not sure. Presumably the only reason to have an engine stabled, would be to work the branch line...so an arriving goods train would have to coincide with the branch train being at the mainline station. It's possible I suppose. I'm not sure how prototypical that would  have been, usually it would have been the train engine that would shunt it's own train.

But that could all be academic depending on how you run your railway. They key is you have to enjoy and be satisfied with how you operate your railway (rule 1, etc.)

I would still change the pointwork, however. I think it would feel and look a lot more satisfying.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 07:49:36 PM by Carmont, Reason: additional text re shunting. »

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2018, 08:18:55 PM »
I'm sold on the pointwork change. As for the ops....... everyday's a schoolday for me..... I appreciate the explanation... Thanks

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2018, 09:12:50 PM »

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2018, 11:42:57 PM »
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Online acook

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2018, 07:55:21 PM »
How do you get from the clockwise main line onto the branch?
A lot of reversing needed.
Alan

Online acook

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2018, 08:16:42 PM »
If you reverse the crossover at the right hand end then you can come off the clockwise main into what would then form a passing loop.
also useful to park a slow train to allow the non stopping express through, and makes a run around loop for the branch train engine.
HTH
Alan

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2018, 02:00:28 PM »
A day off with No. 1 grandson today so it had to be with these beauties.....

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2018, 06:44:56 PM »
Back to the real thing so it's now time to test some concepts:
1) PVA for foam underlay and track...... awaiting drying time (it's cold in the garage today)
2) Wire in tube to extend the point motor........ works beautifully but think I may change the net curtain track for ptfe tube to reduce friction.

3) Next step is to try out electromagnetic uncoupling with a tiny magnet glued onto coupling and electromagnet under track......... smaller fingers needed I think.

Offline colpatben

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27022
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2018, 07:43:54 PM »
Quote from: DaveGlew link=topic=40270.msg493027#msg493027

3) Next step is to try out electromagnetic uncoupling with a tiny magnet glued onto coupling and electromagnet under track.........
Electromagnet and neodymium permanent magnets, what are you trying to acheive South/South to repell the coupling magnet or North/South to attract the coupling. is there not a risk of the coupling magnet being attracted to the de energised elecromagnet iron core?
We never have problems, only solutions!
My Layout Link
Colin

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2018, 07:48:32 PM »
I am proposing to repel N to N with a magnet on one end of each stock item. There are a number of risks so I hope to experiment with the distances to find an optimum spacing between electromagnet and truck etc. Other than the magnet, I am hoping to run with unmodified rtr couplings. Works nicely on my 00 but N is a whole new world for me.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 07:51:17 PM by DaveGlew »

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £337.00
Above Goal: £282.00
Site Currency: GBP
613% 
December Donations

Advertise Here