New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Charlport Junction - Comments welcome  (Read 477 times)

Offline DaveGlew

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Charlport Junction - Comments welcome
« on: January 31, 2018, 01:03:40 PM »
Hi all, After much deliberation I have landed on the plan below for my first foray into N Gauge (permission was not granted for a 2nd 00 layout!) . As a newbie to N, my first hard lesson was that an 8 x 2 board severely limits the ability to have complexity of operating interest AND nice sweeping curves but that is the size I am limited to. ( I may be able to squeeze an extra 6" of width with management permission which should help with the 9" radius).

The objective was to have a GWR through station with lots of operating interest i.e. Main Line, Branch Line, Goods Yard, Shunting etc.etc. and I have resisted the temptation to squeeze in a double track mainline (less is more).

Therefore my starting point was Halwill Junction......but very quickly I realised (Thanks to AnyRail) that it would not all fit in and so compromises were needed and here is the result.
I would welcome your technical/creative comments please.
If it looks right, it probably is right.

Online PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Charlport Junction - Comments welcome
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 01:37:33 PM »
Hi Dave,

My comments would be, try and reduce the effect of ruler-straight straights going into constant radius curves at the end.  If you can add even a subtle curve to the main straight section, and ease into the curve at the ends by having a progressive radius it will look better.  This may mean a foray into flex-track!!

This doesn't mean I have always followed my own advice  :confused1:

Not sure if my comments are technical or creative.....anyhow, good luck with it!

Cheers Jon  :)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 07:39:42 PM by PostModN66 »
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 01:57:26 PM »
This may mean a foray into flex-track!!

:thankyousign: Thanks for the suggestion - I should have pointed out that I will be using Code 80 flextrack throughout - using set track in anyrail just helped me get the measurements right

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 04:07:00 PM »
First of all please try to negotiate the extra 6" width as this will make a huge difference.
I see nothing wrong with your proposed layout but reckon a fiddle yard behind the backscene will be very limited. Have you considered a dogbone whereby you could have hidden areas at each end, a fiddle yard and a 2 line station? As Jon (PostModN66 has suggested, a shallow curve will look better than a straight and this could also be done with the dogbone set up.............

(drawn using set track for ease only)

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 04:26:05 PM »
Thanks for the dog bone suggestion..... I did consider but latest thinking, subject to management approval could be an L shape. The L on the left would fold away when not in use and could house all the fiddle if I bring the 2 tracks round the back. This would also give more scenic space for curves as I know the straight stuff looks horrid. Planning permission for foldaway L has been submitted.

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 04:47:57 PM »
The more you study and listen to feedback, the more indecisive you become. It's all change at Charlport Junction...... the double track is making a return along with nice curvy platforms and approaches..... all hopefully enabled by an 8" fold up section along the back to accommodate the loops and part of the fiddle yard - this solution provides the extra width only on "play days" and is thus exempt from planning permission.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 04:52:49 PM »
the double track is making a return along with nice curvy platforms and approaches..... all hopefully enabled by an 8" fold up section along the back to accommodate the loops and part of the fiddle yard - this solution provides the extra width only on "play days" and is thus exempt from planning permission.

That's a neat way of avoiding the planning restrictions :thumbsup:

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 07:53:11 PM »
Fed up of planning and constantly changing my mind so have now moved to "Layout Construction".

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 08:52:00 PM »
Sounds good to me, shows some progress, looking forward to seeing the construction.   :thumbsup:

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 09:32:25 PM »
Me too  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31