!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tregonning - Layout in a (Largish) case  (Read 29321 times)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Tregonning - Layout in a (Largish) case
« Reply #495 on: June 02, 2018, 07:51:46 AM »
Excellent Martin. Judging by your rate of progress youíre not missing work? I see a new layout starting soon.... ;)

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #496 on: June 04, 2018, 03:55:17 PM »
Hi Martin,

Was looking at a few German sites, saw this and thought of you and Bertie. New Lemke product LC3881. Cheaper on other sites but they don't always let you copy and paste....

http://www.lemkecollection.de/de/Uebersicht/Spur-N/VW-Bus-T2-orange/weiss-Westfalia-Camper-Faltdach

Not sure if yours has that roof. We had one when I was a kid but the roof just went straight up about 2 maybe 3 foot and flat on top.

Thought might be of interest in case you were thinking of buying orange paint for your blue one.

Great pics over the last few weeks if I haven't said it recently. Have been pressing the thank you button.

Cheers weave  :beers:

PS Hope you had a great time at the festival man!!!

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #497 on: June 04, 2018, 04:15:33 PM »
Hi Martin,

Was looking at a few German sites, saw this and thought of you and Bertie. New Lemke product LC3881. Cheaper on other sites but they don't always let you copy and paste....

http://www.lemkecollection.de/de/Uebersicht/Spur-N/VW-Bus-T2-orange/weiss-Westfalia-Camper-Faltdach

Not sure if yours has that roof. We had one when I was a kid but the roof just went straight up about 2 maybe 3 foot and flat on top.

Thought might be of interest in case you were thinking of buying orange paint for your blue one.

Great pics over the last few weeks if I haven't said it recently. Have been pressing the thank you button.

PS Hope you had a great time at the festival man!!!

Thanks Chris. That is indeed an interesting product. Our van is a different configuration but the colour is spot on so perhaps Iíll order one.
Thanks for comments re the pictures and yes, the festival was great.
3 mile walk in each direction for the three days but great fun and by and large the weather was good (especially Sunday).
Good music and great food and drink - especially the cider which went down much  too well. Plus the secret gin garden and the Pimms bus. Never sure withPimms whether I drink it or eat it but Mrs PP certainly enjoyed it.
Great stuff and 30,000+ steps on our fitbits every day so canít be bad.
Relaxing now and winding down with a vodka and tonic in the conservatory.
 :beers:
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #498 on: June 04, 2018, 04:42:51 PM »
Hi again,

Sounds great. Had to look up fitbit  :dunce:. Luckily I do physical work outside so don't need to worry, yet  :worried: , about that sort of thing but good for you.

The cider and gin, well, 2 of my favourites with red wine in the middle.

Not a Pimms fan but the wife would have loved it. If there was a Cava tent as well our fitbits would register 4 or 5 steps, being the ones you take when you're trying to stop falling  :)

Enjoy your VAT.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #499 on: June 04, 2018, 06:56:26 PM »
One of the nice things about having three loosely related railways (not to mention other peopleís railways that run along a similar theme) is that I can photograph through trains.
Itís 1961 and the BR authorities are experimenting with a weekly (Mondays only) shoppers special running from Tregonning to Newquay to Trepol Bay then on to Wadebridge and Cant Cove from where the train returns to Wadebridge and travels  West to Truro via Trepol Bay and Port Perran.
This involves a degree of ďrunning roundĒ and reversal but will involve one loco (usually a 45xx prarie) throughout, takng water at Newquay, Wadebridge and Port Perran.
The inaugural train is captured at four locations earlier today.
First leaving Tregonning passing the goods yard and the newly restored cottage

A few moments later passing the grounds of Tregonning House. The cattle and horses seem at ease with the passing of a steam train (Note, I need to fiddle with that backscene a little)

The train is seen sometime later just restarting from Trepol Bay heading for Wadebridge having called at Newquay.

Two hours later, now running bunker first, the train is snapped again passing Perran Sands Halt before its scheduled stop at Port Perran

It is just possible that another photo was taken at Cant Cove but if so, the photographer hasnít published it yet.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 06:59:24 PM by port perran »

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #500 on: June 04, 2018, 07:27:09 PM »
 :hellosign:   :greatpicturessign:  :thankyousign:   :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
     regards Derek.

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #501 on: June 04, 2018, 07:54:41 PM »
Thanks for an excellent series of photos., Martin. The cottage looks excellent. Cant Cove's photographer has been 'out and about' but has a backlog of films to have developed and printed. He is hoping to have them ready later this week or early next week.

With rapid dieselisation on BR WR, some almost new BR Standard Suburban coaches (some still in BR Crimson, like the pair shown; others in BR Lined Maroon), have become surplus and, at the instigation of the Association for the Promotion of Cornwall's Railways, have been moved to Cornwall to provide low-cost extra capacity and cover for when ex-GWR B Sets are away being overhauled as well. Similarly, a couple of the BR / Hawksworth design autocoaches have been drafted in to replace Collett design ones being overhauled.

Off-peak, especially in the winter months, ex-GWR diesel railcars will be used which, after having been overhauled at Worcester Works using parts from withdrawn examples and Swindon Works, will be similarly transferred to Cornwall, after their scheduled withdrawal from Worcester (85A). (The last 5, W20W, W22W, W23W, W26W, W32W; and W24W (82B; then to 85A?) being scheduled for withdrawal in the October of 1962.) The railcars can haul a limited (because of the steep local gradients) tail load of goods stock or an autocoach or BR Standard Suburban coach, when required. BR's own design of railcars and DMUs are not scheduled to arrive until 1964, in North Cornwall.

As part of the service review instigated by the Association for the Promotion of Cornwall's Railways, cautious attempts are being made to link hitherto separated, but connecting, BR WR and BR SR local services to provide longer through services both for the benefit of locals and, in the Summer timetable, for visiting enthusiasts. The trials began, from Easter 1961, with a weekly (Mondays only) shoppers special running from Tregonning to Newquay to Trepol Bay then on to Wadebridge, Cant Cove, and Penmayne, from where the train returns to Wadebridge and travels West to Truro via Trepol Bay and Port Perran. These services can also be used, as required, for refresher training of BR staff, particularly loco. crew. With steam locos. provided by the GWS and CLPG, on operating leases, an interesting variety of locos. can be provided at no extra cost to BR WR which is still short of diesel locomotives.

Starting with the Summer timetable, a more ambitious joint BR WR and BR SR service will run weekdays and weekends between Truro, Wadebridge, and Penmayne (not all trains covering the full route) some being provided with autotrain connections to Tregonning, Perran Beach, and Cant Cove (these last two being passed by by the longer-distance services). Autofitted 14xx, 64xx and 4575 locos. have been prepared with further 14xx and 4575s awaited from Swindon Works; however, again, in view of the steep gradients in the area, the 14xxs will be confined to short out-and-back workings where the track is level and one or two autocoaches sufficient for the predicted traffic.

It is confidently expected that a lot of enthusiasts will travel to, and stay in, the area to enjoy this feast of steam. Connecting special trains from across the country have also been organised. By special agreement, some locos. and coaches will appear in pre-BR liveries on special Saturdays.

First class travellers have not been forgotten, with the drafting in of some new BR Standard FKs, by both regions, for use in London services and local specials, as required, the provision of a connecting luxury motor coach service provided by "Seagull" coaches, and gourmet weekends at leading local hotels.

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #502 on: June 04, 2018, 10:34:25 PM »

:hellosign: Just an interesting observation (to me) on Chris (IP) last post. Above the Burlingham SEAGULL as operated by Seagull coaches of Blackpool around the 50s & 60s, fond memories
     regards Derek. 

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #503 on: June 05, 2018, 07:08:08 PM »
Thank you for painting the little background story Chris.

Iím now very much at the point of adding all the detail and the little people to Tregonning.
This evening, Iíve been working on the little triangle of land where the creamery siding leaves the branchline and have tried several ideas culminating with this

The Ivatt Mickey Mouse tank is added to give interest to the scene having just deposited a milk tank into the siding. The grounds of Tregonning House form the background.
Itís a bit of a dull area so have added the railwayman overseeing shunting duties whilst old Mrs Tremayne is saying hello to Jarvis the rescued gypsy horse.
The gate will be closed once shunting activities have ceased but has seen better days.
However, Iím unsure about the signal and the frogmanís hut (do you recognise that  Chris IP?).
Iíll live with the scene for a day or so till I fix things permanently.
On looking again, I think that the nearest cow needs a little more brown above the front leg. Or am I being too picky?

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 07:15:31 PM by port perran »

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #504 on: June 05, 2018, 08:37:52 PM »
A lovely scene. A bit more brown on the cow. Fresians were not around in great numbers then, I would imagine that Ayrshires were more numerous.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=40567.0 125x60 and a bit.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #505 on: June 05, 2018, 09:20:32 PM »
Agreed; a really lovely photo. A great scene; your best, yet, Martin. All the scenery blends together perfectly. I wouldn't change anything; although I agree that the cow needs some more brown. These days, Cornish premium milk comes from Guernsey & Jersey cows; I don't know whether that was the case back in the early 1960s? Your Ivatt has been very nicely lightly weathered, it appears. I have that particular "Toad" and so should Brian, soon. The milk tanker has been nicely weathered, too; but photos' show them virtually black apart from some streaks on the top near the milk loading point. (I need to weather some of mine.)

Yes, thanks, Martin, I had wondered what happened to the fogman's hut and the railwayman holding up a white lamp showing green. I was thinking that it would be located where drifting sea fog would be a problem. (Mine will be located outside Cant Cove station.) I had been thinking of Port Perran but, now, I believe, because of ATC, the GWR did not need fogmen? So it would have to be on the Trepol Bay Harbour branch?

The (moveable) gate at the entrance to the Castle Branch was made from a similar Peco plastic level crossing gate but with the half-circle VERY carefully cut away with a brand new very sharp knife and then a very fine file VERY carefully, again, used to clean it up. It's neither been painted nor weathered. A new Class 08 cannot pass the gate when open as there is just too little clearance but one would not venture up the branch anyway.

I did not know there was a real "Seagull Coaches" in Blackpool, Derek. However, the ones to be seen (soon) in North and Western Cornwall are Bedford OBs and not the very nice Burlingham type you uploaded a photo. of, I'm sorry to say. I wonder if Oxford Models will make that type?

We 'did' 1962, last summer, but 1961 is more interesting for BR WR locos., apart from the lack of "Westerns". I look forward to the usual posting of trains, including specials from other layouts. Everyone has BR Maroon Mark 1s but BR WR Chocolate & Cream and, of course, BR SR Green liveried ones are also fine. Additionally, I have a rake of BR Maroon Staniers and Gresleys. BR Crimson & Cream coaches are also possibilities (but not Staniers or Gresleys).

My apologies for the lack of photos. The 4575 plus two BR Crimson BR Standard Suburbans will, I hope, be photographed, Thursday.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 09:34:26 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #506 on: June 05, 2018, 11:03:53 PM »

I did not know there was a real "Seagull Coaches" in Blackpool, Derek. However, the ones to be seen (soon) in North and Western Cornwall are Bedford OBs and not the very nice Burlingham type you uploaded a photo. of, I'm sorry to say. I wonder if Oxford Models will make that type?

:hellosign: Chris (IP) The Burlingham Seagull is available from Oxford models but alas not in Seagull livery, maybe in future. The Bedford OB was a fine widely used small coach ideal for the Cornish roads. Sorry for the hijack Martin
     regards Derek.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #507 on: June 06, 2018, 05:52:01 PM »
Just gauging opinion.
Iíve not been happy with the water column on the platform at Tregonning.
It just looks wrong to my eyes.
You can see it in this photo but Iím considering replacing it with the water tower which Iíve temporarily slid into place. Obviously the one will replace the other.
I think I prefer the tower (I have a loco filling bag for it). What do others think?

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #508 on: June 06, 2018, 06:19:26 PM »
Purely my opinion but the tower gets my vote. Trouble is, I don't know what would be prototypical for that size station/area.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #509 on: June 06, 2018, 08:34:51 PM »
Water column for me. The tower looks too overpowering.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=40567.0 125x60 and a bit.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations

anything