!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tregonning - Layout in a (Largish) case  (Read 34240 times)

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: Tregonning - Layout in a (Largish) case
« Reply #705 on: August 27, 2018, 09:43:13 AM »
I'm very much looking forward to reading about what this plan will be, Martin.

Still 'N' gauge?  I sometimes think that you would achieve amazing results in 009.  Small size but bigger details.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Mito

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #706 on: August 27, 2018, 04:08:16 PM »
This suspense is not doing my blood pressure any good. :no:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=40567.0 125x60 and a bit.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #707 on: August 27, 2018, 04:39:44 PM »
We know your on here Martin.

Spill the beans  :)

Atlantic Coast Express in a box file?  :D

Looking forward to the future plans where you will no doubt build it before I've finished one half of my causeway  :doh:

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #708 on: August 27, 2018, 05:18:57 PM »
Having been tipped off ,i can reveal to the world the follow up to Tregonning is  going to be based on a traditional cornish industrial site, a tin mine.Below is the track layout ,as seen by the operator.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #709 on: August 27, 2018, 07:20:21 PM »
 :laughabovepost:
Very good  :D
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #710 on: August 27, 2018, 07:55:45 PM »
John....an 009 layout has frequently crossed my mind and is very appealing but  two things are stopping me. Firstly, I donít really want the expenditure which would be necessary for locos and stock. Secondly, I donít feel that Iím up to the challenge of getting the scale right and am worried that it wonít work out.
Maybe that will be a plan for a few years time.

No.....Iím simply going to make an alternative layout for the case. Tregonning will simply lift out and I can insert a new baseboard. Iíd then be able to rotate the two as I choose.
The new layout will again be set in Cornwall but Iím still mulling over the options. I have a few in mind already and will decide over the next week or so although I am open to further suggestions.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #711 on: August 27, 2018, 08:16:14 PM »
John....an 009 layout has frequently crossed my mind and is very appealing but  two things are stopping me. Firstly, I donít really want the expenditure which would be necessary for locos and stock. Secondly, I donít feel that Iím up to the challenge of getting the scale right and am worried that it wonít work out.
Maybe that will be a plan for a few years time.

No.....Iím simply going to make an alternative layout for the case. Tregonning will simply lift out and I can insert a new baseboard. Iíd then be able to rotate the two as I choose.
The new layout will again be set in Cornwall but Iím still mulling over the options. I have a few in mind already and will decide over the next week or so although I am open to further suggestions.

Thank you for this, Martin

An alternative layout for the case sounds a great idea.

I have convinced myself that the 4' x 2'6" of Poppingham is an ideal layout size and am already planning another layout, as I have a piece of plywood just over that size (and a joiner friend with a fancy saw table) in the garage.  So, not that far from what you have in mind.

009 is on my mind and is a new scale to me.  There are a lot of lovely new models either available or coming on to the market.  What appeals to me is that the details, and, in particular, the little people are bigger.  Of course, there is also 09!

Whatever you do will wonderful and an inspiration to me; of that I'm certain.

With best wishes

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #712 on: August 27, 2018, 09:08:24 PM »
Somewhat cloudy skies as a prarie tank passes the grounds of Tregonning House with a mixed freight.
The low late Summer sun casting shadows in the foreground. The siding leads down to Tregonning Creamery but the goods train is headed for the main line and on towards Newquay so no shunting of milk tankers will be required.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #713 on: August 28, 2018, 02:17:04 PM »
That's a fabulous photograph, thank you, Martin.  From an unusual angle as well.

The new layout will again be set in Cornwall but I’m still mulling over the options. I have a few in mind already and will decide over the next week or so although I am open to further suggestions.

You mentioned that you are open to suggestions; here's one, and the fieldwork will be easy!

As you know better than me, the GWR was less than pleased by the L&SWR's purchase of the Bodmin & Wadebridge Railway in 1846 and that the acquisition was not legalised until an Act of Parliament in 1886.  In 1879, a Receiver was appointed for the Redruth & Chasewater Railway.

Now, as Arthur Whitehead used to write in the Railway Modeller, just supposing...

The GWR, taking no chances this time, bought the railway from the Receiver and, having secured an Act of Parliament, regauged it to standard gauge (there certainly was much fun with gauges in Cornwall at the time!) and the line continued as a backwater (goods only?).  Assuming that Devoran continued as a third-rate port and that the GWR, in a fit of enthusiasm, finished the uncompleted Chacewater branch would add to the just-about-believable fun.  And wouldn't it be nice to have a place on a layout called Ting Tang?

Ting Tang, indeed.  Can I please claim the prize for the silliest suggestion?!

Best wishes.

John

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #714 on: August 28, 2018, 03:11:53 PM »
That's a fabulous photograph, thank you, Martin.  From an unusual angle as well.

You mentioned that you are open to suggestions; here's one, and the fieldwork will be easy!

As you know better than me, the GWR was less than pleased by the L&SWR's purchase of the Bodmin & Wadebridge Railway in 1846 and that the acquisition was not legalised until an Act of Parliament in 1886.  In 1879, a Receiver was appointed for the Redruth & Chasewater Railway.

Now, as Arthur Whitehead used to write in the Railway Modeller, just supposing...

The GWR, taking no chances this time, bought the railway from the Receiver and, having secured an Act of Parliament, regauged it to standard gauge (there certainly was much fun with gauges in Cornwall at the time!) and the line continued as a backwater (goods only?).  Assuming that Devoran continued as a third-rate port and that the GWR, in a fit of enthusiasm, finished the uncompleted Chacewater branch would add to the just-about-believable fun.  And wouldn't it be nice to have a place on a layout called Ting Tang?

Ting Tang, indeed.  Can I please claim the prize for the silliest suggestion?!

Best wishes.

John
Lovely suggestion John.
I like the idea and to make things more interesting, Tin Tang Farm is literally 100 yards from us and the site of the old ting Tang Mine is about 250 yards away.
In fact the mighty Carharrack AFC play their home matches at the Ting Tamg Ground.
Certainly something to think about......Iíll give it due consideration.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #715 on: August 28, 2018, 03:17:09 PM »
In fact, much as I like Ting Tang in reality if the GWR had constructed a branch from Chacewater to Devoran it would have passed, one would have thought, through or near the tiny hamlet of Goongumpas (about a mile from us) which is, I think you will agree, a splendid name.
Maybe, I could have a Ting Tang Farm at Goongumpas?
Hmmmm.......

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #716 on: August 28, 2018, 04:03:28 PM »
Goongumpas: most wonderful!  One simply couldn't make it up...

I had to look it up on the map and found Tregonning Road as well.

I'm glad that you didn't find the idea totally daft.

Perhaps you could make a series of 'case' layout over time, each featuring a different part of the line.  A bit like Shirley and Dave Rowe did with their cabinet diorama/layouts.

Happy modelling whatever you choose.

John

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #717 on: August 28, 2018, 07:50:00 PM »
John, your siggestions have set me thinking and for that I thank you.
I do like your idea of a potential branch from Chacewater to Devoran.
Space in my case is, of course, limited and I do not simply want to create another Tregonning but with differing scenery.
Much as I like your ideas of Ting Tang and Goongumpas I feel that Devoran wharf itself would make a very interesting subject with great potential.
To that end I have this evening been loosely laying track on the closed lid of Tregonning to see what I could fit in. My initial thoughts are to still have a roundy roundy but the rear section would be hidden by running through a tunnel running the entire length of the case. The tracks would be hidden behind a hill.
The whole base of the layout would be raised about an inch above the base of the case allowing a river to flow in from the left and flowing to the sea via a port at Devoran.
Of course, up to 1915 the narrow gauge Redruth and Chasewater (note the incorrect spelling) transported ore to Devoran for export and imported timber from Scandinavia for use in the mines (eg pit props etc). Indeed the public house at Perranarworthal, just up the estuary from Devoran is called the Norway Inn.  Incidentally the former trackbed of the R&C ran right past our cottage.
So......maybe the GWR could have been attempting to ďcash inĒ on this traffic and also to try to turn Devoran into a much more important harbour.
This has all stirred my imagination. My main problem will be trying to accommodate all of this into what is effectively a very small area but I think it can be done.
Let me ponder for a while.
Martin
I shall give it more thought.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #718 on: August 28, 2018, 08:31:12 PM »
Splendid, Martin.

The wharf is a great place to start and other scenes along the line can follow later if you fancy.

Time to acknowledge A. Fairclough, 'The Story of Cornwall's Railways', Tor Mark Press, Truro, 1970.  A very young me bought this book during a family holiday to Cornwall in 1971.  And, like all my railway books, I've still got it!  I remembered being fascinated by the Redruth & Chasewater and the uncompleted branch line to Chacewater.

I look forward to developments.

Best wishes.

John

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #719 on: August 28, 2018, 08:55:05 PM »
A couple more cases might not go amiss here! :) I think cases are made for harps, certainly double bases. Got me thinking now, not a good thing. :no:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=40567.0 125x60 and a bit.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
December Donations

Advertise Here