!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tregonning - Layout in a (Largish) case  (Read 31662 times)

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Tregonning - Layout in a (Largish) case
« Reply #450 on: May 18, 2018, 09:42:25 AM »
Many thanks for the latest photo., Martin. I agree, really excellent scenic modelling with a lot of interesting detail.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #451 on: May 18, 2018, 06:51:11 PM »
This is looking incredibly good Martin.

Seconded!

:wonderfulmodelling: :thankyousign:

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Caz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #452 on: May 18, 2018, 06:53:41 PM »
Great stuff as usual Martin, just so much to see in each picture, a pleasure to view.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #453 on: May 18, 2018, 07:42:12 PM »
Thanks Caz.
I’ve been doing a bit of work around the creamery this evening so a couple of shots of the milk train leaving (unashamed shades of Hemyock  I think).
First, the 14xx is coming out of the creamery onto the branch line with the grounds of Tregonning House in the background). The Mother’s Pride truck is slowed by Major Teagle out for an evening ride on his horse, Winston

A few moments later and the train passes in front of Tregonning House. The occupants of the Morris Traveller have paused to watch the train whilst the horse seems just a little startled by the proceedings.

(I need to add some foliage to disguise the change of backscene  plus I need to finish the fence - to avoid the horse escaping onto the track).
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #454 on: May 18, 2018, 08:21:43 PM »
Looking at your excellent pics you just wouldn't believe the small space involved :no: Wonderful.

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #455 on: May 20, 2018, 11:55:06 AM »
It's all looking very nice Martin, well done!

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #456 on: May 20, 2018, 01:09:44 PM »
 :claphappy: :claphappy: :claphappy: That backscene is done in a perfect manor. it looks almost real and blends very well into your layout.  :claphappy: :claphappy: :claphappy:
 :NGaugersRule:
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #457 on: May 20, 2018, 08:39:37 PM »
I thought it about time to start on the back story to Tregonning which is a fictitious branch line off the Par to Newquay line.
Part One (in draft form) ifolliws below:

Tregonning

In the mid 1790s the Trevarnon family, from St Newlyn East near Newquay extended their already healthy business interests into China Clay production.
Lord Trevarnon, by now well into his 60th year, was a well respected land owner and farmer in the area South of Newquay.
Extremely fine quality china clay deposits were discovered near to the tiny Hamlet of Tregonning. Ever the opportunist, Lord Trevarnon seized on the opportunity and established his own china clay dries at nearby Kestle Mill.
Lord Trevarnon was already a wealthy man but the china clay business made him and his family very rich indeed. In 1797 the family bought some 500 acres of land at Tregonning and Tregonning House was completed in 1798.
Lord Trevarnon died , aged 82, in 1820 with his title passing to his eldest son Charles(32) who assumed the role as head of the family and associated businesses which prospered under his astute leadership.
 Charles became a major shareholder in the Cornwall Minerals Railway which, by 1842 had reached Newquay Harbour. Lord Tregonning had negotiated a horse drawn branchline from the CMR to his china clay dries at Tregonning which allowed his business tp expand further still.
However, it was not until 1874 that the line to Newquay became locomotive hauled and then only for freight. It would be 1876 before passenger services commenced from Fowey.
The branch to Kestle Mill remained, at that time, horse drawn.
In 1892 (when the Cornish main broad gauge line was”narrowed”) a connection from it was made to Newquay via Par and St Blazey. A connection which survives to this present day.
The Trevarnons were keen exponents of the railway but Charles had died in 1873 at the age of 84. He was succeeded by his only son, Edward who was aged 44.
Edward continued to drive the family’s business interests forward and also continued to promote the railway in Cornwall. Indeed Edward, then aged 63, travelled aboard the first steam hauled passenger train from Par to Newquay in 1892.
By 1893 Edward had established a very fine reputation for his business acumen and was well regarded in his role as a director of the Great Western Railway. Unfortunately, Edward died in 1894 (aged 64). His son, Thomas, took the reins of the family business aged only 21.
In 1895 Thomas persuaded the GWR to construct a branch from the Newquay to Par line to Kestle Mill to serve the china clay dries there. Much of the route from the main line to Kestle  Mill ( a distance of some 4.5 miles) passed through land owned by the Trevarnon family.
Thomas Trevarnon gifted the land to the GWR but insisted that the branch be extended a further 1 mile to Summercourt which was an expanding hamlet and also happened to be at the centre of The Trevarnon’s farming interests. Thomas also insisted that a station be built, in the grand style) at Tregonning near to Tregonning House.
By 1896 a single line branch was opened from just South of Quintrell Downs (on the Par to Newquay line) to Summercourt (a distance of 5.5 miles). The only intermediate station was at Tregonning which boasted a grande façade (as demanded by Lord Trevarnon). A short branch diverged just West of Tregonning serving the Kestle Mill China Clay dries.
Lord Thomas Trevarnon , then aged just 23, was justifiably proud of the new branchline and in particular, Tregonning station, which could be viewed from Tregonning House.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #458 on: May 21, 2018, 08:30:35 PM »
We’ve spent a fair bit of time at our allotment today but this evening, I’ve been adding a bit more backscene made up of photographs taken locally.
It slow but sure progress to try to align things as best I can.
The top right corner was tricky as I wanted to incorporate the road running on into the background from the level crossing.
You can just see the join between baseboard and backscene just above the crossing gate post. Overall though, I think it works reasonably well.
The tree masks the change in scenery between the rear and side backscenes.

Aha......just spied the milk churns still on their sprue in the creamery yard!
A few other niggly bits to tidy as well. The camera has a very nasty habit of highlighting problems!
I see I need to realign one of the paving slabs leading to the shed door next to the house.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #459 on: May 21, 2018, 08:40:19 PM »
Part Two of the Tregonning back story.

By 1898 there were 6 return passenger trains in each direction from Newquay to Summercourt all stopping at Tregonning. The service was a success and by 1900 a total of 1200 tickets were issued each week. In addition, there were two daily pick up goods trains plus seasonal specials conveying vegetable produce from Summercourt and Tregonning to various destinations within Cornwall and beyond. And in addition there were china clay trains running as required from Kestle Mill.
Thomas Trevarnon became a popular figure and became known as Lord Thomas the Train Man. Thomas and his wife, Lavinia, were frequently to be seen travelling to and from Tregonning by train. In 1906 the Trevarnon family authorised construction of Tregonning Creamery which would bring more employment to the area and more rail traffic.
Of course, much of the milk for the creamery came from the family’s herd of prized Holstein Friesian cattle.
Rail Traffic remained stable for some 45 years when Thomas died aged 72 just after the end of World War Two.
At that time, goods traffic over the Summercourt branch was still healthy as was china clay traffic from Kestle  Mill and mik tanks from Tregonning Creamery. Passenger figures were, however, slowing somewhat to only 1000 passenger journeys each week.
Lord Thomas had must one son, Oliver, who followed in his father’s footsteps in 1946 at the age of 35. Oliver had inherited his father’s passion for railways and vowed, with his wife, Lady Emily to ensure that the Summercourt branch would not die.
Oliver was a keen advocate of modern farming methods which revitalised the output from the family farms. He was also great friends with the eminent potter from Burslem, Henry Wolstein, who was building a quite remarkable reputation for fine quality porcelain requiring the very best china clay.
Lord Oliver soon realised that he was sitting on a gold mine at Kestle Mill and agreed  to supply Wolstein with the very best clay, thus ensuring the survival of the branchline.
Also, luckily, with the establishment, by BR in 1951,of Quintrell Downs South Junction, trains could run direct from Summercourt and Tregonning to Truro. This greatly increased passenger traffic.
And so……The Summercourt branch entered the 1960s in good fettle.
Indeed in 1961 Lord and Lady Trevarnon travelled by special train from Tregonning to Paddington raising still further the profile of the branch.
So… by late 1961 the branch line was still in a healthy state. Lord Trevarnon was keen to ensure that it stayed that way.

Offline Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #460 on: May 21, 2018, 08:44:38 PM »
Hi Martin !

That looks fantastic. The road is blending perfectly into the backscene.   :thumbsup:  :D  :thumbsup:

The modelling is awesome. You have the knack of making everything look so natural. That corner is perfect, and I can't wait to see some little people busying themselves round the village  ;)

PS. Yes the camera really does pick up any little glitches, but I find it is a great tool for spotting things you may otherwise miss, and enabling you to fix them.

All best wishes
Kevin

:beers:

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #461 on: May 21, 2018, 09:04:08 PM »
Again, some brilliant modelling Martin. As regards seeing the join - I had to enlarge the picture and then look twice! Excellent stuff.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #462 on: May 21, 2018, 09:24:14 PM »
Again, some brilliant modelling Martin. As regards seeing the join - I had to enlarge the picture and then look twice! Excellent stuff.  :thumbsup:

Me too!  I think it blends in really well.

...Yes the camera really does pick up any little glitches, but I find it is a great tool for spotting things you may otherwise miss, and enabling you to fix them...

Exactly (I found this out yesterday)!  I'm sure that you will fix these little things in a jiffy.

Many thanks for the very interesting history of the line.  I look forward to Part 3.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #463 on: May 22, 2018, 06:37:47 AM »
I do like the back story, Martin.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #464 on: May 22, 2018, 08:14:32 AM »
I do like the back story, Martin.

Seconded! I hope to respond more fully, next month.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £74.00
Below Goal: £26.00
Site Currency: GBP
74% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything