!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tregonning - Layout in a (Largish) case  (Read 31682 times)

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Tregonning - Layout in a (Largish) case
« Reply #405 on: May 03, 2018, 12:10:23 AM »
 :hellosign:    :greatpicturessign: & superb modelling Martin & another vote for the Cornwall railway map.
      regards Derek.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #406 on: May 03, 2018, 07:20:15 AM »
Nothing to say other than ďExcellent!Ē  :thankyousign:

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #407 on: May 03, 2018, 07:23:26 AM »
I think a map of Cornwalls railways, incorporating Tregonning, would finish the case off brilliantly.  :thumbsup:

Agreed. However, the inner part of the lid nearest to the hinges I'd paint sky blue. I will do that with the lid for Cant Cove as this will greatly improve the shots showing the background.
Yes, I plan to do that once the short backscene is done.
And, a map (plus history) it will be I think.

Thanks for all the comments chaps.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #408 on: May 03, 2018, 07:58:42 PM »
Well, this evening, the level crossing is installed on the main road out of Tregonning. Looks ok I think but no photos until a bit more scenery is added around it.
Having put in one level crossing, Iím going to add a second on a minor road by the goods yard in a small area which Iíve been umming and aahing about for a couple of weeks.
I also now need to think about the front yard of the goods shed which is a slightly awkward shape.

Offline DaveGlew

• N Gauge Society Number: 28385
    • Awards
« Reply #409 on: May 04, 2018, 05:08:37 AM »
I love level crossings..........everything is all coming together nicely
If it looks right and it works then I'm happy.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #410 on: May 04, 2018, 07:12:53 PM »
Iíve done a fair bit to Tregonning over the last couple of days but a lot was preparatory work.
However, I have moved on to the far side where, after much deliberation, Iíve added two level crossings.
This first photo shows the crossing on the main road. I still have some work to do on it but you get the idea.
The little hut behind the green flat bed lorry is for the gate keeper for the creamery. iíve also finalised the location for the farm shop/hut which will actually become an outlet for the creamery.
I think white lines on the road will enhance the scene a bit.

This photo shows an overall view of the far side. You can see the second level crossing top right. This isnít finished yet so please bear with me.
I decided to add a small signal box to control the goods yard and two crossings. The signalman has an excellent view in both directions from this location. I need to move it back a bit though as the first passing train gave it a hefty clout!
The small building (with a blue painted front) is a small general store. I think the two apple trees to the rear look ok.

As ever any suggstions or comments will be welcome.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 07:14:56 PM by port perran »

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #411 on: May 04, 2018, 10:52:51 PM »
Fabulous; absolutely fabulous.  Clearly the level crossing(s) was the right choice.  It all looks perfick.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #412 on: May 05, 2018, 05:43:58 PM »
It's all coming together really well, Martin. What will you be doing when its finished (not far off, now, I think)? Will you commence work on Bodmin Road? 8-)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #413 on: May 05, 2018, 06:56:50 PM »
It's all coming together really well, Martin. What will you be doing when its finished (not far off, now, I think)? Will you commence work on Bodmin Road? 8-)
Bodmin Road is already underway at our Club HQ but that involves 4 or 5 of us so it may be a long term project.
I have, however, aquired a scrap baseboard which is approx 3ft by 2ft. Iíd build it at the model club rather than home but Iím in two minds.
Either a loco shed scene based at Truro but not a copy of the actual Truro shed.
Or a goods yard based on somewhere like Drump Road (Redruth) or perhaps Wadebridge.
Either would be end to end and perhaps more a diorama (working) rather than a roundy roundy.
Iím giving it some thought.
However, although Tregonning looks nearly complete, Iíll be taking time  over the detail (inc little people) and creating little cameo scenes.
I also have the ďbackboardĒ to make.

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #414 on: May 05, 2018, 07:41:47 PM »
Looks like it's been there years, blends in beautifully.   :thumbsup:

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #415 on: May 06, 2018, 01:39:07 PM »
Great progress Martin & lovely modelling, the level crossing looks great.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the backscene

Pleased to hear that Bertie passed his MOT.... my old Jag comes out this month (providing the snow stays away) so will have the new MOT to look forward to ....
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 01:40:18 PM by Milton Rail, Reason: more »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #416 on: May 07, 2018, 06:11:48 PM »
As promised, a few photos of the May Day special trains run from Tregonning today.
Inspired by events ďUp NorthĒ the locomotives used were a Collett 0-6-0 and an ex GW railcar. The railcars are affectionately known as Flying Bananas but, with reference to the green livery of this loco, the locals refer to it, somewhat tongue in cheek, as a Flying Courgette.
Here the two trains are seen at Tregonning station.

And here is a close up of the Collett

The eagle eyed may have spotted that Iím in the process of adding backscenes on Tregonning.
It was a superb day here and this morning we walked the mile or so through the fields and woods to Gwennap Street Fayre.
On the way I took several photos which I intend to incorporate into the layout as backscenes.
Iím particularly pleased with this one:

As background to this scene. When the line to Summercourt was first proposed it had to travel through the grounds of Lord Trevarnon of Tregonning House. Lord Trevarnon was a railway enthusiasts who wholeheartedly approved the railway. However, he insisted that the GWR  build a rather grand station at Tregonning which has resulted in the existing station which, on the face of it, is much too large for such a tiny village.
Which reminds me, I need to publish the backstory leading to the creation of Tregonning and the Summercourt branch.
The Flying Courgette is seen passing Tregonning House.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 07:01:57 PM by port perran »

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #417 on: May 07, 2018, 07:16:58 PM »
Flying Courgette ...... love it!

Lovely pictures and the backscenes are great!

Better get one of the porters down to that barrel store before the local EPA rep makes a call!

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #418 on: May 07, 2018, 07:20:26 PM »
Many thanks for these latest photos. and update, Martin. Both the Collett 0-6-0 and the ex-GWR diesel railcar look very good. The photo. background with Tregonning House is superb and fits in beautifully. Ideally, I'd have a photo. of a long strip of hilly countryside along the back of Cant Cove; the distant hills across the River Camel from the Padstow side would look very good.

I must get my BR Green ex-GWR diesel railcar out for a photo., too.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #419 on: May 07, 2018, 10:08:14 PM »
These are superb photographs, Martin.  The backscenes are terrific - particularly the one with Tregonning House and the overhanging branches.  The Cornish place names (and family names) certainly help set the scene.

The Peco 'Collett Goods' is a jolly nice model.  For us, the irony is that it has that far-from-usual tender to accommodate the DCC gadget which we don't use.  But I'm sure our drivers appreciate the additional water capacity!

Many thanks for the photographs and the update on progress.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £74.00
Below Goal: £26.00
Site Currency: GBP
74% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything