!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Tora Bora Line  (Read 21173 times)

Offline Dizz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26050
    • Awards
Re: The Tora Bora Line
« Reply #300 on: May 29, 2019, 10:03:08 AM »
Love the look, were you able to figure out the magnet issue?
Thank you. 
Yes, a few grams of lead has fixed the tipping wagon issue. You can see the blue 5g temporary fix weights sitting in the mineral wagons in the photos of the fuel depot above: when I get around to it I will tidy them up and paint them so they look as if they are meant to be there.  A temporary weight under the tanker wagon frame works as well, but permanently modifying the 6 easi-shunt tankers is a bit more involved and I'm waiting for some more self adhesive lead tape to arrive (the stuff golfers use to tune their clubs). I have another 4 tanker kits destined for the easi-shunt mod waiting to be made and these will have the weight installed internally in the tank during build.

Offline cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #301 on: May 30, 2019, 03:59:49 PM »
 :hellosign: :greatpicturessign:.
Thanks for the updates Pete, Very nice modelling, all looking good  :thumbsup:
         regards Derek
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #302 on: June 01, 2019, 11:42:37 PM »
Sharkham Wagon Works has made a start on the 4 Mk2 Peco Tankers.  First step was to cut up a couple M7 bolts to provide the weight to inside the tanks:

I got the plaster on the Shaper Sheet yesterday before we popped up to Brixham for the night.  It was nice and warm today so when I got back to Portreath this evening it was solid as a rock and I was able to apply a couple coats of WS undercoat.  Got some earth/soil scatter down alongside the ballast after taking teh photo (to dry overnight) and will finish the green scatter tomorrow.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #303 on: June 03, 2019, 12:19:40 AM »
Aerial photo after today's efforts.....

Assorted WS fine turf built up in several layers blended together.  Have some Kestrel kits in the possible use box so decided to convert the stables in to a pump/valve house.  I have started making up 2.4mm and 3.2mm plastic tubing up into an overground system connecting the tanks and fuelling rigs.  If the pva dries out enough by tomorrow evening I will be able to fit the pipes.....if not my next shed session wont be until Thursday.

The board is now pretty close to the basic scenic level I am aiming for: the remaining work I want to do can easily be reached from the front so I have re-fitted the board into it's space next to Churston.  Regardless whether the fine turf has dried or not, tomorrow I will be able to match the scenic work across the board join to hide the join line.  I am also fettling some trees to go on the spur in front of the opening to behind the back board.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 08:58:40 AM by Dizz »

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #304 on: June 03, 2019, 12:26:52 AM »
Anyway, with the good progress made on the fuel depot and the board being back in place I couldn't resist sending a short test train into the loop.
6313 with 6 tankers for filling. 

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #305 on: June 03, 2019, 05:20:08 PM »
Many thanks for the updates, Pete. Very good to see the excellent progress on the scenic work, as well as the tank wagons and the fuel depot. Using some Kestrel kits to make a pump/valve house looks an excellent solution.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #306 on: June 13, 2019, 09:30:30 PM »
So busy but really wanted to get something done this week.  Over the last week or so I made about a dozen trees from Woodland Scenics armatures.  The aim was to disguise the gap in the back scene where the main line and siding disappear - see the photo above in reply 303.
Some of the trees were a bit too big so will have to find a home somewhere else, however the ones that looked ok have done the job.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #307 on: June 13, 2019, 09:37:52 PM »
Due to unforeseen circumstances (and the fact I'm a HST-o-holic) I indulged in a little retail therapy.......
The Flying Banana in a stop over in the fuel depot loop

And then moving off for a night run to Penzance

May be able to get some photos of it on the sea wall on the return trip tomorrow ;)

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #308 on: June 13, 2019, 09:59:17 PM »
Looks really good Pete.
The Flying Banana is an excellent addition.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #309 on: June 13, 2019, 10:21:53 PM »
Looks really good Pete.
Thanks Martin......am now happy to move on to the Brixham mileage siding board next week.
Been after the NMT for a while and am really chuffed with this one. Just the prototype HST to go now. ::)
I saw the NMT in the flesh so to speak at Hayle about 8 months ago. Must be down here more often than that though.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #310 on: June 14, 2019, 06:18:19 AM »
Looks really good Pete.
Thanks Martin......am now happy to move on to the Brixham mileage siding board next week.
Been after the NMT for a while and am really chuffed with this one. Just the prototype HST to go now. ::)
I saw the NMT in the flesh so to speak at Hayle about 8 months ago. Must be down here more often than that though.
Yes, itís down fairly regularly. Iíve seen it several times.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #311 on: June 14, 2019, 08:19:35 AM »
Thanks for the photos. and update, Pete. The trees look very good. When you've time try to vary slightly the shades of green. If you look at a group of trees they seldom have exactly the same shade of green.

I particularly like the first photo. with the back of the goods train.

No doubt the real 'Flying Banana2 will be in service for some years, yet.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #312 on: June 14, 2019, 10:08:41 AM »
Probably lost a bit in the light and camera phone, but I used 4 different WS foliage colours and randomly sprinkled 3 different fine turf colours so there actually 12 different variations.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 10:20:57 AM by Dizz »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #313 on: June 14, 2019, 10:24:39 AM »
Probably lost a bit in the light and camera phone, but I used 4 different WS foliage colours and randomly sprinkled 3 different fine turf colours so there actually 12 different variations.

My apologies, Pete. It must be the lighting and the camera phone. It is indeed the subtle variations (I just looked out my window) that you see in nature in late spring / early summer, which is the time of year I chose for Cant Cove. I still have to do more work on my trees.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #314 on: June 14, 2019, 11:06:01 AM »
TB is the same time frame, think most people choose late spring/early summer because of the variation in vegetation.
Am off to KMRC after the dentists to get some Noch flower scatter (pack of white, yellow and pink) to create the Hawthorne and Elderberry blossom effect. Also the glue is drying on some Gorse and Rhodendron bushes I made last night to add further down the line near the fuel depot loop.👍👍

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal