!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Tora Bora Line  (Read 23400 times)

Offline Dizz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26050
    • Awards
Re: The Tora Bora Line
« Reply #270 on: March 24, 2019, 10:33:55 AM »
I used the shaper sheet off-cuts left over from when I made the cliffs 10 months ago to cover the cardboard tube former.
Luckily I had just enough Woodland Scenics plaster to give a decent covering.

After 10 minutes was able to smooth out the high spots and after another 5 minutes it was hard enough to paint.
35 mins from start to finish :-)

Nice dry day today so ideal time to airbrush the rails ready for ballasting over the next week.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 10:35:13 AM by Dizz »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #271 on: March 24, 2019, 04:06:22 PM »
I’ve had to cheat a little to include this photo and incdulge in a little geographic license
Anyway.......the four railwaymen aboard the Hymek had to wait just outside Churston station whilst the pannier arrived with four wagons from Brixham.
2A88ED76-DE81-4552-8E81-5317D73F4EA6 by martin scane, on Flickr
The pannier will take its train into the station ready for he Hymek to back on to take the train back to Newton Abbot and on to Exeter.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #272 on: March 24, 2019, 08:32:45 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign: Thanks for the updates Pete, taking shape nicely.
    The story just gets better & super photo Martin.   :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
       regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #273 on: March 24, 2019, 11:04:32 PM »
Whilst the team in the Hymek enjoyed a mug of tea and some fruit scones that Mick Hatten had dropped off for the station staff, Henry Woolston briefed Eddie what would happen next.........
Shortly after the 14.15 departure to Exeter the Pannier tank and 4 wagons set back out of the cattle dock siding onto the up main and then ran forward into the up platform where the brakes were pinned down and the Pannier then carried on to Kingswear light engine.  Eddie eased the diesel back under the road bridge, then John Walker (Churston Signalman) set the points to allow the loco through the cross over and back onto the waiting wagons.

Once coupled up the team changed ends again and carried out a brake test. Word was sent to Whisky that all was good: he had already received "line clear" from Goodrington box so pulled off the home signal and the goods special was away

It was all down hill to Goodrington, so once moving Eddie brought her back to notch 1 as they cleared the platform end.  The change in engine note made Henry look up from his desk and as the train passed under the road bridge he wondered what kind of meal he could concoct using eggs, spiced rum and fish.......

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #274 on: March 24, 2019, 11:15:43 PM »
Productive afternoon.....
More basic scatter around the back scene, rails airbrushed with sleeper grime and roof dirt in the loading sidings.  Dark earth scatter on the fueling rig bases (wont be able to get under there once they are glued to the baseboard.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #275 on: March 25, 2019, 04:48:22 PM »
The story continues.......

With the Hymek ticking over at the end of the platform, the four railwaymen climbed down. “Right”, said Barney Chadwick, “Lets join Whisky for a quick cuppa then we’ll take this train on to Exeter St Davids. I’ll explain exactly what we’ll be doing whilst we take our break”.
All four trooped over to the signalbox where Whisky Walker already had the kettle on the boil.
“Sit down lads” continued Barney, “ This is the plan. As you know, the railway has signed an agreement to transport perishable goods between several centres in the South West and that includes incoming goods from further afield. Initially that traffic will flow between Brixham and Exeter then Westwards to as far as Penzance. Being largely perishable goods, it is imperative that the train runs to an extremely tight schedule and this includes attaching and detaching wagons at various stations alng the route.  That’s where you come in Andrew. The experience gained on the Trepol Bay harbour incline will stand you in good stead. It is essential that wagons are shunted quickly but also, more importantly, safely. The rule book must be obeyed at all times”.
“I’m looking forward to the challenge” , chipped in Andrew Parks.
“Yes”, continued Barney, “You have developed an excellent working relationship with Eddie over there. I know that I can rely on the pair of you.  Now, the first train will run from Brixham to Penzance next Tuesday. Today is just a trial run as far as Exeter collecting a single van at Newton along the way.  We’ll add a few more vans tomorrow and continue the run to Penzance. And, we’ll  have a bit of shunting to do at a few selected locations along the route”.
“How many drops will there be on a normal run?”, asked Eddie Bligh.
Barney continued, “A good question. We are expecting shunting movements to take place at the following locations”, as he referred to a typed document he had in front of him, “Paignton, Torquay, Newton Abbot, Exeter, Okehampton, Halwill Junction, Launceston, Wadebridge, Trepol Bay, Port Perran, Redruth and Gwinnear Road”.
“That’s quite a list”, murmured Eddie, “Yes indeed”, replied Barney, “But it won’t be every location on each trip and there could, on accasions be extra stops. It all depends on the traffic carried on each trip. Now, time’s getting on, let’s get to work. I’ll ride in the cab with Eddie who’ll be driving. Andrew, you and Ted will be in the brakevan. Ted, here’s a copy of today’s schedule. As you see we’ll be picking up an extra van at Newton Abbot then we’ll take the train on to St David’s. Any questions?”
No one uttered a word as they trotted off towards the train.
At 15.30, Whisky gave them the road and the Hymek moved gently forward.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 05:03:21 PM by port perran »
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
Fuel Depot Update
« Reply #276 on: April 02, 2019, 12:08:54 PM »
Having decided to go with the Dapol Easishunt coupling system I found some good advice lurking in the forum and have been experimenting with different sized rare earth magnets.  The 3mm diameter x 2mm height magnets fit nicely between the sleepers and have no problem operating the uncouple function, but don't have pull to open the arms far enough to engage the push-back facility.  I have ordered some stronger 3mm x 6mm magnets to try next. The outcome will determine where I finally fit the magnets and until that happens I can't crack on with ballasting the depot throat area and ends of the loop, but I have at least made a start on the ends of the sidings and the branch line. 
Anyway, yesterday a test mixed tanker train arrived to check clearances and magnet positioning, etc.  Included in the formation was a superb Briggs tanker that arrived in the post yesterday out of the blue.......I have no idea where it came from at the moment!

« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 12:49:05 PM by Dizz »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #277 on: April 02, 2019, 03:41:57 PM »
Please keep us posted on the 3mm x 6mm magnets as the Dapol ones are a monstrous size really :hmmm:

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #278 on: April 02, 2019, 04:45:37 PM »
Please keep us posted on the 3mm x 6mm magnets as the Dapol ones are a monstrous size really :hmmm:
And price!
Just got home and the magnets had been delivered this morning. Am very happy with that: I only ordered them online Sunday evening :-)
Will get a test track set up this evening and report my findings  :thumbsup:

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #279 on: April 03, 2019, 12:25:42 AM »
Spent a couple of hours trying different size magnets in various positions inside and outside the rail. Somewhat disappointing results.
The 6mm long ones proved to be too strong when inside and pulled the couplings downwards onto the track: outside the rail they didnt have enough pull to open the coupling.  The 4mm magnets behaved better, but didn't open the coupling enough to allow the push-back function, so no benefit over using cheaper 2mm magnets.
I have 6 locations on the whole layout where I would really like to be able to push back wagons so I am going to have to invest in some Dapol magnets to achieve that, but all the other locations can be fitted with 2mm magnets.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #280 on: April 03, 2019, 08:50:21 AM »
Thanks for the updates, Pete. I wish you success in solving the uncoupling problem. The Briggs Dundee tanker wagon is a very nice addition to your collection.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
Easi-shunt coupling update
« Reply #281 on: April 07, 2019, 10:41:08 PM »
Picked up some pucker Dapol magnets from KMRC on Thursday.......
Well they work as advertised, but are far too obvious for my liking so back to the small neodymium jobs.
Ordered a second batch from Magnet Expert On Friday and the arrived on Saturday  :D
I tried a 3mm daimeter x 2+4 mm (6mm  long overall)  combination between the sleepers.  No problem achieving an uncoupling every time, but only 50:50 at best on opening far enough to allow the "push back":

Next I tried 3mmX3mmx8mm long block magnet. A tight push fit between the sleepers/rails and worked a treat. Easily fully opened the couplings and 100% successful for push back, as shown below:

However................ the magnet can easily short the rails and also stands about 1mm proud of the top of the sleepers, so isn't ideal.  There is  2.5x2.5x7mm magnet available, so have now ordered some of them to try.  Hopefully that will be it.
I have made a start on modifying 6 Peco tanker kits to have NEM pockets on one end. The conversion kit instructions are very clear and the process is quite straight forward.  The pockets are glued on with epoxy and I have left them to set overnight...........tests and photos tomorrow.

Offline cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #282 on: April 07, 2019, 10:51:36 PM »
 :hellosign:   :greatpicturessign: 
    Thanks for the interesting update Pete, your patience will soon be rewarded
          regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #283 on: April 07, 2019, 11:17:38 PM »
:hellosign:   :greatpicturessign: 
    Thanks for the interesting update Pete, your patience will soon be rewarded
          regards Derek.
Am 98% sure this final batch will crack the full capability Derek.  Once I have confirmed operation and got some better photos I will update the  main Easishunt thread.
All the other magnets I have bought in the last week will not be wasted. They can still be used at specific uncoupling positions, (just not for push back).

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #284 on: April 08, 2019, 09:30:22 AM »
I, for one, appreciate your experimentation and look forward to the results of the 2.5mm x 2.5mm x 7mm :thankyousign:

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
August Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal