New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Tora Bora Line  (Read 4733 times)

Offline Dizz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26050
    • Awards
Re: The Tora Bora Line
« Reply #120 on: November 01, 2018, 11:39:09 PM »
Have made a strip of scenery to go along the back board and some raised ground at the end of the cattle dock.  Lots of platform supports in place.........plenty more to add yet. Quite a lot of ballasting has been completed: main lines from the bridge to the end of the platforms and the loop to the corner.  I am very wary of messing up the points (not ballasted points before) so take about 6 sessions to add ballast to each one so I only use the minimum of pva mix at one time in case I need to take corrective action.

This evening I made a start on making the platform surfaces so more to show after the weekend I hope. :wave:

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #121 on: November 04, 2018, 09:40:20 PM »
Made paper templates which I then scanned, traced in autocad and cut from 1/32" ply on the laser

« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 12:57:47 PM by Dizz, Reason: bad spolling »

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #122 on: November 04, 2018, 09:46:41 PM »
Been a busy Saturday and Sunday but manage to do some landscaping on the corner.
Laminated 1/4" balsa to rough shape

Attacked/carved to shape, filled where required with polyfiller and sanded

WS green, earth and stone grey undercoat.  Left to dry overnight, will start with the scatter, etc tomorrow

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #123 on: November 04, 2018, 09:50:16 PM »
Dapol GWR Mk3 coaches arrived yesterday: worth the wait  :D

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #124 on: November 04, 2018, 11:19:01 PM »
 :hellosign:   :greatpicturessign:  Thanks for the updates Dizz, nice progress & the HST set looking superb
     regards Derek.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #125 on: November 05, 2018, 02:29:33 PM »
:hellosign:   :greatpicturessign:  Thanks for the updates Dizz, nice progress & the HST set looking superb
     regards Derek.
Thanks, I am very pleased with the GWR set. For me Dapol has captured the looks of this 125 livery very well indeed.  Totally outside my intended 1943-1963 modelling period, but I have a thing for HSTs and Rule 1!!  :)
I ran it in on DC last week and have now fitted a Zimo MX648 sound card (from You Choos) in the dummy power car and a DC23 in the motor car.  I would prefer to get the sound chip in the driven power car because it has some neat motor control and additional lighting features, but I just can't see how to achieve it; simply not enough free space.
Going to have a clear up this evening and hopefully get some video of the HST running along the sea wall that I can post on here.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: November 05, 2018, 03:27:47 PM »
The GWR livery is classy. Green diesels rule!

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #127 on: November 16, 2018, 09:28:49 AM »
Didnt think I had achieved very much over the last 2 weeks until I saw the photos I posted on the 4th.....
The balsa embankments are now done, all the remaining track in that area has been ballasted and last night I finished getting a 1/32" ply surface down on the up platform:

When I say "done" I mean the basic scenic work is complete: next task will be to make 2m of wire fence to run all the way around the outside from Tunnel to Road bridge...........will attack it in 0.5m sections to avoid frustration.  Intention will then be to add a few small trees at the apex of the corner and some bushes/under brush along the fence line. 
In the mean time am developing a plan for how to tackle the area to the left of the down platform in this photo.

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: November 16, 2018, 02:53:56 PM »
I don't know why Thank You is locked but that is the message I am getting.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: November 16, 2018, 04:12:57 PM »
I don't know why Thank You is locked but that is the message I am getting.

@Innovationgame
Unlocked now, Laurence.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
Down Platform Progress
« Reply #130 on: November 23, 2018, 12:41:57 AM »
Update on the last couple of night's work:

For reference this is a view of the down platform (left side) in the early days of the P&DSR, just after the up platform road was re-laid.

On my version of Churston station I decided to first make the whole of the area level with the the platform top (I will add the higher ground and the White Horse hotel later).

I had loads of balsa off cuts/waste from laser cutter jobs, so that was recycled and glued down to the baseboard in a patchwork to act as foundation for a 1/8 balsa sheet top layer.  Just like the up platform, the final platform surface is laser cut 1/32 ply.  To give a neat front edge I added a wide strip of 1/32 ply along the front: this will also be painted black when I finally give the whole length of the valance a top coat once all the scenic work is complete.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #131 on: November 23, 2018, 11:26:26 AM »
Looking towards the road bridge still in BR days (pre December 1972):

Intentions after work today are to build up the road embankment, make the roadway leading to bridge, fit the remaining branch platform ply top and create a plateau to go at the other end of the station for the White Horse Hotel (eventually).

Hopefully some progress and more photos tonight  :wave:

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #132 on: November 24, 2018, 08:57:54 PM »
Best laid plans and all that.....
I didn't have enough balsa block to be able to make the road embankment or the land for the Hotel and a trawl around my local area down here today only produced balsa sheet.  Am up in Torbay on Tuesday and will pick up some wood when I pass through Newton Abbot.  In the mean time I did scale up a plan of the road layout and print a template to follow.

Finished fitting the ply surfacing though:

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #133 on: November 25, 2018, 09:45:28 PM »
Came across this photo today:

Different perspective from other photos I have found online showing the relationship between the station building, signal box and the foot bridge: in colour too  :)  (although you obviously can't pay too much attention to the colour reproduction).
As I couldn't do any balsa bashing today I filled and rubbed down the joints in the platform ply panels then, prompted by the photo,  took a look at how model buildings would fit in.
Over the last year I have laser cut several buildings and bought a few Ratio kits in anticipation.  The Ratio foot bridge is close enough to reality, as is the station building, although in years to come I may well replace them with my own ply versions. Anyway, to get see what they looked like in situ I had to make a start on the kits and do some gluing!
The signal box and platform shelters are my own work generated from books/photos.

Got a busy week ahead and probably wont be able to do any more until next weekend :(

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #134 on: December 01, 2018, 11:34:55 PM »
Got hold of some balsa block in the week and have made a start on the bridge embankments.  Took a good 10 minutes and a cup of coffee visualizing the end result and thinking how to achieve it.
Block glued together and marked up.

Carved and sanded the basic profile, glued to the base board:

Made a start on filling

More tomorrow night I hope

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations