!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Tora Bora Line  (Read 20672 times)

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
Re: The Tora Bora Line
« Reply #375 on: March 26, 2020, 10:13:15 PM »
I must say it's all looking rather good. I also like those slinky curves.

May I ask why you chose the classic Peco backscenes rather than more modern photographic ones, please?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Dizz

• N Gauge Society Number: 26050
    • Awards
« Reply #376 on: March 27, 2020, 12:59:12 AM »
I must say it's all looking rather good. I also like those slinky curves.

May I ask why you chose the classic Peco backscenes rather than more modern photographic ones, please?
Thank you.
When I started the project suitable photographic ones were not available so moving on to this section I just carried on using the same range.

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #377 on: March 27, 2020, 01:11:09 AM »
Thanks!

I know what that feels like.... when I started my layout, photographic backscenes were not available at all!

Love the construction photos. This is going to be one cool layout.  :thumbsup:

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #378 on: March 27, 2020, 09:01:18 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
     Top notch Pete, the HST looking superb through the curves
       regards Derek.

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #379 on: March 27, 2020, 09:22:07 PM »
.... when I started my layout, photographic backscenes were not available at all!

If you are not careful George, someone will come along and ask if photographs were available then  :-X  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+6)
    • Awards
« Reply #380 on: March 27, 2020, 09:31:10 PM »
 :laughabovepost: they were, just a bloke with a slate and nail etching it rather then the big flashy smoking thing and a curtain covered box  :-[

Online Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #381 on: March 27, 2020, 09:45:43 PM »
Given the current restrictions and being at home virtually all day I have no idea where the time went, although quite a lot was spent with my big boy Brian (Sh Ch Wonglepong Wills Faramir) doing doggie things for his fifth birthday

Anyway, the card template from yesterday was scanned in A4 size chunks then re-assembled in ACAD

Scan of the righthand end was a tad off, but that was corrected when I traced around the outside.  I added some 3.5mmx10mm slots to take profile ribs idc and then imported the .dxf drawing into the laser control software.  This is where I set up laser power levels, head speed and a few other parameters.

The laser software generates the G code to drive stepper motors in the laser.  I transfer the cutter files using a USB stick at the moment, but I have purchased a 5-way ethernet switch and intend networking the man cave the next couple of weeks so will then be able to send the files straight to the machine.  I used a scrap bit of 3mm ply and a few minutes later had the parts cut.

Template in place to hide the storage loops.....you get the idea
(You can see the scatter along the back boards whilst the glue dries:will vaccum up the excess tomorrow)

Next job will be to cut profile card templates aligned with the slots.  I could then scan, trace and laser cut the actual ones to glue down in the same way as I did the back today, but in this case it will be quicker just to draw around the card onto 3/16" balsa sheet and cut out by hand with a scalpel.

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #382 on: March 27, 2020, 10:05:42 PM »
Never mind the balsa wood - what a beautiful dog.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #383 on: March 28, 2020, 01:14:00 AM »
.... when I started my layout, photographic backscenes were not available at all!

If you are not careful George, someone will come along and ask if photographs were available then  :-X  ;)

Not so, I'm afraid....

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=48783.msg625762#msg625762

Online Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #384 on: March 28, 2020, 07:09:40 PM »
It was difficult to get the scatter to stick to the near vertical balsa fillet and it needed a second going over.  Whilst the scenic cement was drying I turned my attention to this corner where the dis-used tin mine will go. This is my new measurement train using the longest rolling stock I have to make sure I keep enough clearance on curves.

Crying out for some elevation so used some polystyrene blocks I had loafing.  Glued together with WS Foam Tack glue and weighed down to dry for 24 hours. 

I still have a few scatter land slides/holidays on the balsa so will have to visit it a third time tomorrow

After making one cardboard template I realised I may as well just cut the balsa freehand! :dunce:
The back ply profile had a few wooden blocks glued to the lower edge and then screwed to the base board. Balsa profiles glued into the slots.

I applied some scatter to the cess and then removed the profile and added scatter to that too as working on that ares will be very difficult once the high ground is in place, not that it will be very visible.

Leaving it all to dry overnight now. Tomorrow morning hopefully I will be able to make good the holidays and then ballast the storage roads. In between I'll be carving the polystyrene to shape.
BFN
Pete

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #385 on: March 28, 2020, 10:01:38 PM »
 :hellosign:   :greatpicturessign:
    Superb scenic modelling Pete, looking good   :thumbsup:
       stay safe regards Derek.

Online Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #386 on: March 29, 2020, 02:51:36 PM »
Spent a couple hours over lunchtime sorting out the scatter bald patches and converting the big block of polystyrene from last night into what became only a small hill. I had forgotten how messy it is: wont be using that method for scenery again.

The hill now glued to the base board and wont be touched for a day or so now until getting a thin coat of plaster same time as the shaper sheet.  I am very pleased with how this corner is turning out: even if I say so myself, definitely has the "feel" of the main line in the Redruth area.

Approx 3 metres of track to ballast when I get back from exercising the dogs  :doh:  at least the storage loops are straight and no points to deal with (yet).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 02:52:48 PM by Dizz »

Online Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #387 on: March 31, 2020, 09:47:14 AM »
After some remedial ground cover was happy with the result at the back and so yesterday was able to start moving forward. Ballasted the track Sunday evening, yesterday morning I airbrushed the rails again plus added a line of weathered black down the centre

Glued/screwed the profile template in place and glued a line of WS underbrush/bushes down the join

Tacked the shaper sheet in place along the back, bent it to conform with the formers and trimmed off the excess.  Made up some plaster and carefully applied to the shaper sheet.  Still managed to get some drips on the main line, but will correct this evening and touch up with the airbrush before ballasting.

Last thing was to give the plaster a coat of WS earth and green undercoat.  The plaster is hard, but still damp so the paint will take a while to dry (I had applied a thin layer of polyfiller over the tin mine area yesterday morning and that dried out very quickly).

Short periods of activity followed by long periods waiting for stuff to dry, but I will get the main lines between points ballasted this evening.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 10:03:30 AM by Dizz »

Online Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #388 on: April 01, 2020, 02:14:12 PM »
Got the ballast down and glued last night....

Will make a start on the two junctions and remaining mainline into Redruth tunnel this evening.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #389 on: April 01, 2020, 03:46:28 PM »
Looking good, excellent progress.  :thankyousign:

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP