!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Tora Bora Line  (Read 21318 times)

Offline Dizz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26050
    • Awards
Re: The Tora Bora Line
« Reply #345 on: December 24, 2019, 01:19:20 AM »
And look what arrived in the post yesterday.....

Three Revolution Sturgeon A wagons just in time to be a Christmas present to myself  :)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #346 on: December 24, 2019, 09:46:46 AM »
'Britannia' No. 70006 "Robert Burns" does look very fine in ex-works condition, complete with Early BR Crest and nameplates with matching early BR Crimson & Cream BR Standard coaches. A very fine addition. Maybe, you'll consider an identity change to one of the Plymouth (Laira) ones? Perhaps it is on one of the enthusiasts' specials for the Christmas and New Year program of steam specials. Lady Penelope Trevelver would definitely approve of the train's immaculate external appearance!

My early BR Black 'Sturgeon' with sides has been delayed until next month as I am away. (Which is why I've not given the usual allocation history of No. 70006.) They certainly look very fine. If there are any left, I might add another BR Black one but without sidepieces. They are very long vehicles though which is why I only bought one to form part of a mixed PWM train.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #347 on: December 25, 2019, 12:56:01 PM »
As one of the books I was given for Christmas is the excellent "The Book of the BR Standards" by Richard Derry, I can, after all, give some details of 'Britannia' No. 70006 "Robert Burns"'s allocation history. An ER loco. from new being allocated to Stratford, Norwich, Stratford, Norwich, March between 1951 and 1963, it moved to the LMR at Kingmoor in December 1963 from where it was withdrawn in May 1967, so it must be working an enthusiasts' special from the NW?

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #348 on: December 25, 2019, 09:09:50 PM »
Thanks Chris. How about a special  additional Christmas Leave service put on for Royal Navy personnel who live in Plymouth but base-ported in Scotland.  Portions from Glasgow and Edinburgh join at Carlisle and bthen run the rest of the way behind 70006.
A similar service in the opposite direction ran for Scottish personnel working in Devonport with homes in the north.

When I was based in Rosyth I used to get back to Torbay on w/e leave by train.
Friday lunch time local service from Inverkeithing to Edinburgh and change train.  Edinburgh Waverley to Plymouth portion was added to the Glasgow-Plymouth at Carstairs then Carlisle/New Street/Temple Meads/ Exeter Saint Davids change at Newton Abbot to Paignton.
So only a slight stretch of the imagination. ;)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #349 on: December 25, 2019, 09:37:57 PM »
That's an excellent solution, Pete. A "Britannia" all the way from Carlisle to Plymouth. Fortunately, in 1963, there would still be some WR loco. crew in the West Country trained on them although they had left in 1956-1957.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #350 on: December 26, 2019, 08:44:48 AM »
In 1963, the route would have been via Crewe and Hereford then Bristol. The "Britannia" would have had its water tank refilled at station stops, in the usual way, but would have had to come off the train, at least once, to have its tender refilled with coal and the loco. serviced, perhaps whilst the passengers left the train for food and drink to be served by the NAAFI?

Offline Dizz

• Awards
Mojo found!!!
« Reply #351 on: March 24, 2020, 11:05:51 PM »
Luckily I found my model railway mojo (which has been AWOL for several months now) yesterday morning, just in time to be in the house for the next 3 or more weeks...................
I had planned to tackle the Cornish part of the layout from the Royal Albert bridge to Redruth Tunnel last August, but work, dog shows and family matters kept pushing the start date right.  However, I did collect all the materials needed together (standfast enough back scenes) and cut the ply wood required to the right sizes to allow me to crack on without needing any further supplies.
This is the section I will be working on :

First I needed to re-arrange the man-cave because the laser usually lives in that corner

That was achieved yesterday afternoon.
Today I fitted wooden blocks under the baseboard for the front valance to screw into, screwed/glued the valance in place, screwed/glued the back scene boards in place and filled the screw heads.  The screws in the back boards will be removed and filled tomorrow so they don't show through the back scenes when they are glued on.

Front valance was sanded smooth and a coat of primer/undercoat applied. 
The corner area will have disused tin mine engine and compressor houses.  I was going to add a small halt based on Carn Brae station, but I now think that will make the area too cluttered.  It was whilst I was having a mock-up of the corner I realised that I only had 2 back scene sheets.  Although I couldn't get to KMRC they were still doing mail order and  additional sheets went out in the post this afternoon.

The main line will disappear behind Brixham Station boards to run around to Churston. I like to replicate real tunnel mouths, eg Parsons Tunnel, Greenaway Tunnel, Kennaway Tunnel at Dawlish even though geographically not in the right location/order on the line. I have laser cut my own version of Redruth tunnel for that transition:

On the to-do list for tomorrow:
1. Rub down the undercoat
2. Decide how to achieve the landscaping between the sweeping main line and hidden storage loops
2. Airbrush the tracks
3. Glue on the back scenes
4. First coat of satin black for the valance

BFN, more tomorrow evening...............................
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 07:57:38 AM by Dizz »

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #352 on: March 25, 2020, 06:35:12 AM »
You cerainly seem to have gained some impetus there!  What was (or is) the laser for?
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #353 on: March 25, 2020, 06:47:11 AM »
Looks like serious thought has gone into the construction around the tunnels and backscene. Impressive

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #354 on: March 25, 2020, 07:46:11 AM »
You cerainly seem to have gained some impetus there!  What was (or is) the laser for?
Hello Laurence,
Lol, yes, amazing what going to 50% manning at work/working from home, followed by the announcement Monday evening can lead to.
The laser has 2 uses:
1. World domination unless I am paid one million dollars.....  :smiley-laughing:
2. Laser cutting
I now realise that I bought the wrong type of laser for 1. but it has been very useful for making "stuff" for my modelling and more.
All the best
Pete
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 08:11:59 AM by Dizz »

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #355 on: March 25, 2020, 07:50:38 AM »
Hi Pete, great progress, looking really good.  :thumbsup:

With the current state of the world it might have to be just half a million for world domination.  :no:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #356 on: March 25, 2020, 08:43:53 AM »
Those curves look just wunnerful (sigh) :drool:

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #357 on: March 25, 2020, 08:51:57 AM »
Great to see such good progress, Pete.

Thank you for the update and the excellent pictures.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #358 on: March 25, 2020, 08:56:16 AM »

Give Mick a wavy line and he is happy.  ;). I have to agree though, a slight curve does look good.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #359 on: March 25, 2020, 09:12:54 AM »

Give Mick a wavy line and he is happy.  ;). I have to agree though, a slight curve does look good.

That's 'cos I can't walk in a straight one (hic)

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal