!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Tora Bora Line  (Read 12718 times)

Offline Dizz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26050
    • Awards
Re: The Tora Bora Line
« Reply #195 on: February 24, 2019, 02:55:58 PM »
During quieter periods over the weekend it was common practice for SR crews to undertake route learning runs with light trains along the WR route through South Devon from Exeter to Plymouth (similarly, WR crews would run via Okehampton).
Earlier this morning N class 31844 was seen at Parsons Tunnel with a PLV, CK and BSK on a non-stop run to Plymouth Friary.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #196 on: February 24, 2019, 02:59:37 PM »
Great pictures Pete.
I can taste that bacon and egg - yum.
Cant beat a bacon and egg roll .....had 2 for brunch this morning (where the idea came from  ;) ;) )

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #197 on: February 24, 2019, 03:18:11 PM »
Back to layout construction stuff and Northfields Fuel Depot.........

Following a test dry fit run of one rig, I had to tweak my CAD drawings (based on the one photo I posted 3 weeks ago) before laser cutting all the ply and MDF parts.  I also bought a modelling guillotine for cutting all the plastic strip (364 individual lengths required!!).  Surprisingly it didn't come with adjustable stop so I made my own from 3mm ply.
Sat down on Friday evening and cut all the strips. 
Resulting pile of bits ready to glue together.
Front middle is a jig, again made with the laser, for the different frames required along with some trial pieces. The plastic is glued together using MEK to actually weld the plastic together.

Last night I finished making all 82 plastic frames, I now have 164 0.4mm ply brackets (front right) to glue in place  :goggleeyes:

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #198 on: February 24, 2019, 10:06:08 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign: & Many thanks for the update Pete, looking forward to seeing the fuel depot.
      regards Derek.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #199 on: February 27, 2019, 03:11:11 PM »
I only have that one photo of the fuel rigs to go on so I feel justified in doing what ever I like when adding extra stuff.  The top horizontal piece had minimal gluing area and proved to be a little fragile so I added slightly smaller 0.4mm ply brackets.  MEK to weld the plastic bits to each other and Mitre glue to stick the brackets in place:

Last night I finished gluing all the rig frames together: 60 tall and 22 small T frames from a total of 568 separate parts :o :goggleeyes: :goggleeyes:

Just had to have a test dry ft to get a hint of what it will look like when completed:

There are 104 fence posts to be glued to the recesses on the edge of the catwalks and 0.6mm plastic rod rails threaded through next.  Then I have 100 fuel pipe pieces to cut and assemble into 20 tanker fuelling feeds.  One thing that did become apparent was how difficult it is going to be to assemble all the components after painting, so I am having a re-think how I'm going to achieve the final result. 

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #200 on: February 27, 2019, 03:14:28 PM »
Your attention to detail is impressive Pete.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #201 on: February 27, 2019, 03:18:38 PM »
Your attention to detail is impressive Pete.
Some might say "obsessive" Martin  :smiley-laughing:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #202 on: February 27, 2019, 04:16:40 PM »
That is just an astonishing build :goggleeyes:

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #203 on: February 27, 2019, 10:03:32 PM »
That is just an astonishing build :goggleeyes:
:hellosign: Agreed i`l just add WOW  :thumbsup:
       regards Derek.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #204 on: February 28, 2019, 07:46:08 AM »
Yes, truly Wow!  :beers:

Offline Dizz

• Awards
Artistic Licence
« Reply #205 on: March 01, 2019, 10:59:34 AM »
Just a reminder of what I'm trying to represent using the only photo I have of the fuel transfer sidings whilst they were being removed ate 60's early 70's

This facility was constructed and used in WW2 to fill tanker wagons with high grade aviation fuel for onward transport to the Cotswolds (I believe) to then be pumped into the RAF underground pipe network that served the bomber and transport bases of the time.

Everything was a bit fragile and difficult to work with in the last post, but my re-think is now complete, my brain has cooled down, artistic licence obtained and I have cracked on with the construction..............

I cant understand the need for 3 uprights every tanker spacing, but I copied the fact.  Using the same file I drew for the MDF bases I laser cut some 3/16" balsa and slid them over the bottom part of the uprights to jig everything square and make the structure more manageable. I dry fitted the ply cat-walks around and then slid the refueling pipe risers (20 off from 1mm plastic rod constructed in a ply jig) in place. I added horizontal beams between the tops of uprights and then moved the risers up into position and glued them in place also with MEK.  I slid 2.4mm diameter pipe through the lower 0.4mm ply brackets and tacked that in place with thin cyano.

The intention was to then remove the ply cat walks to spray/airbrush everything above the balsa jigs and fit the rail posts whilst off the main structure, but when I tried to do that this morning the MEK/cyano has worked it's way to where it is not meant to be and attached the ply strips to a few uprights. Tonight I'll try to ease the ply off...fingers crossed.

I found the 2mm heat-shrink tubing!  :)
I'll cut this to length and then shrink it onto the 1mm plastic rods with a hair dryer: obviously will test that idea first to make sure I won't melt the rigs!

Current parts count = 334 (for 1 rig) with another 88 still to add..............then I have to assemble the second one :doh:

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #206 on: March 01, 2019, 01:13:31 PM »
I have just uncovered a little additional information to what I have found so far concerning Northfield Lane Oil Depot, to use it's correct name.  here is a summary of my knowledge to date:
  • Supplies went by rail mainly to Islip fuel depot in Oxfordshire, although some did go to Thames Haven.*
  • There were 5 partially buried holding tanks at the site (visible in the aerial photo in a previous post), 2 for the aviation fuel/onward transfer (used) and 3 for lubricating oil for the RAF (never used).
  • Performance additive was added to the fuel in the tanks at Northfield Lanes.  This arrived in barrels in open wagons to the mileage yard at Brixham Station and was then delivered to the oil depot by road (something else to model when I get to that part of the layout).*
  • Four sidings and each siding could hold 10 wagons (my layout very close to scale based on OS maps).
  • There were only 20 filling stations (I have provided 40).*
  • The equipment (pumps, etc) was only able to fill 5 wagons at a time via the gantries.  First 5 of a rake were filled and then it was moved further down the siding by electric winch to fill second 5. (I'm able to do all 40 wagons at once).*
  • 80+ Shell and Esso tankers were allocated to the working *(Over the years I have made 43 Peco tank wagon kits, all plain black).
  • 40 Empties would arrive at Goodrington (Paignton) where they were brought on to Northfield Lane 10 at a time around 17.30 onwards.
  • Full wagons returned to Goodrington to be made back up to 40 wagon trains with 2 or 3 up dispatches a week.
  • Trains hauled by one or two 45XX Prairie Tank locos.
  • Fuel siding access controlled by token for the branch and locked ground frames with keys associated to the token.
  • The fuel sidings were also used for a few months in 1951 in connection with the Korean war *(in my alternative South Devon scenario they remain in use into the mid 60s).
I already knew info marked with *, but the other info is new to me........it was just a question of using the right words when searching in Google  ;)

« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 01:19:43 PM by Dizz »

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #207 on: March 01, 2019, 07:27:45 PM »
 :hellosign:   :greatpicturessign:
   Many thanks for the updates Pete & all the information is fascanating
         regards Derek.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #208 on: March 01, 2019, 07:59:13 PM »
I managed to spring the ply catwalks free without any problem in the end.  The second set of rigs went together much quicker and is now also ready for air-brushing.  Unfortunately it is chucking it down and far too damp for spraying, so they will just have to wait.
In between time in an attempt to blend-in the home-made decals I have had a go at weathering one fish van.  Before I carry on and do some more are there any thoughts please?

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #209 on: March 01, 2019, 08:01:43 PM »
The fish van looks okay Dizz.  I personally would leave it as it is. :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £69.00
Below Goal: £31.00
Site Currency: GBP
69% 
October Donations

Advertise Here