!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Tora Bora Line  (Read 12630 times)

Online chrispearce

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: The Tora Bora Line
« Reply #180 on: February 05, 2019, 04:53:52 PM »
Your work is superb. Forgive my asking but I can't find the answer I seek in the thread and I do hope I am not asking you to repeat yourself, but why "Tora Bora Line"? It keeps making me think of a bunch of mountains where a former USA's "most wanted" was supposed to be hiding during Gulf War 2. I don't see the link with the West Country.
Hi Chris
You are nearly there mate  :thumbsup:
The layout is in a 12'x12' log cabin at the end of the garden.....my remote man cave....where I disappear to and hide away for hours (some would say days) on end :D
Plus Tora Bora is a bit of a play on Torbay: "The Torbay Express" ran from Kingswear through Churston on route to Paddington and I will be running my own version soon once I finish off the current scenic work.
Bit cryptic I suppose, but 33 years in the RN has warped my mind  :laugh3: :laugh3:
All the best
Pete

Many thanks Pete. OK I get the joke LOL! Both my elder brothers went to BRNC so Dartmouth and it's attendant steam railway are icons of my childhood. I was very young but remember waiting by Britannia Halt on the Higher Ferry Slipway waiting to cross over to Dartmouth for several visits and a couple of Passing Out Parades. Happy days indeed! I actually passed to be a Pilot for the Fleet Air Arm (hence my avatar) but that, sadly, is another tale. May I ask what you did in the RN?
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Dizz

• N Gauge Society Number: 26050
    • Awards
« Reply #181 on: February 05, 2019, 10:04:29 PM »
Dartmouth Sep 82 -Dec 83, Seaman Officer MCMV  Navigator then saw the light and became a WAFU. Lynx and Merlin Observer. Retired time expired August 2015 and now Mod Civil Servant still at RNAS Culdrose.

FLY NAVY!!!!😁👍👍👍

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #182 on: February 06, 2019, 03:53:43 AM »
Your work is superb. Forgive my asking but I can't find the answer I seek in the thread and I do hope I am not asking you to repeat yourself, but why "Tora Bora Line"? It keeps making me think of a bunch of mountains where a former USA's "most wanted" was supposed to be hiding during Gulf War 2. I don't see the link with the West Country.
Hi Chris
You are nearly there mate  :thumbsup:
The layout is in a 12'x12' log cabin at the end of the garden.....my remote man cave....where I disappear to and hide away for hours (some would say days) on end :D
Plus Tora Bora is a bit of a play on Torbay: "The Torbay Express" ran from Kingswear through Churston on route to Paddington and I will be running my own version soon once I finish off the current scenic work.
Bit cryptic I suppose, but 33 years in the RN has warped my mind  :laugh3: :laugh3:
All the best
Pete

Aha! By sheer coincidence I was just going to ask the same thing, somehow my poor beleagured mind told itself that this is some obscure Afghanistan-based mining layout (!), something which never piqued my interest enough to look on the occasions when it popped up in my unread posts list, until I saw it mentioned on other West Country threads recently.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 03:56:25 AM by railsquid »
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Online chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #183 on: February 06, 2019, 07:02:30 AM »
Dartmouth Sep 82 -Dec 83, Seaman Officer MCMV  Navigator then saw the light and became a WAFU. Lynx and Merlin Observer. Retired time expired August 2015 and now Mod Civil Servant still at RNAS Culdrose.

FLY NAVY!!!!😁👍👍👍

Impressive. Respect to you Sir. Fly Navy indeed - although, sadly, I didn't get to myself. Did pass for Observer but that was 'wrong side of the cockpit' for me. Somehow I always had a fondness for the Sea King Mk. 4 but I see that the last of those is now retired.
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #184 on: February 06, 2019, 02:19:03 PM »
The Sea King (all Mks) was a good servant to the Navy and a great work-horse.  As it happens I'm now working with 2 replacement programmes: Merlin Mk4 and Crows Nest.
Anyway, we all like photos so here is the last bit (for the time being) of Churston scenic work:

I am now at the stage I wanted to be at 6 weeks ago, can't be helped.
Working on a slight diversion at the moment.....photos to follow  ;)

Online chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #185 on: February 06, 2019, 03:15:55 PM »
I get the feeling that having a 3D printer makes one king of all that you wish to build. Your models are brilliant Dizz. It must be great to be able to produce whatever you want to that kind of standard but I have a sneaky feeling that mastering the associated software to do the design work must be a lot of skill in itself.

Keep up the good work on the layout and the Merlins etc. Your country, along with the NGF, need you!  :thumbsup:

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #186 on: February 06, 2019, 11:04:00 PM »
The diversion was to make some form of back-board for my Albert Bridge (carrying the main line between Devon and Cornwall) to hide the door in any photos.
I cut a sheet of 3mm ply to fit the opening and glued a couple of blocks to the door frame.  2 large Peco Sky back scene papers pasted to the ply and taa-daah.....

Tomorrow I will overlay a hill or something cut from a country side back scene to disguise that vertical join line.

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #187 on: February 07, 2019, 07:43:17 AM »
Just spent an enjoyable hour this morning tracking back to the start of your thread, superb layout developing here, love the backstory that is starting to emerge too! 

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #188 on: February 08, 2019, 08:25:51 PM »
Superb work, Pete. The fuel sidings will be an excellent feature. I agree with you that the "Churston Signal Box" sign is probably a little overscale, though.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 10:29:48 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline Dizz

• Awards
A quick update
« Reply #189 on: February 12, 2019, 12:40:52 PM »
Just back-tracking a little, what I did in the 6 Feb post for where the track crosses the corner was to slide thin card under the refuge siding track and then ballasted on top but used thin cyano instead of PVA to get a rock hard mini-bridge.

I have quite a few balls in the air at the moment so cave time is at a minimum hence nothing of significance to show.  In the last week I finished another batch of fish and rum wagons, finished off some more laser etched signs (slightly smaller), made a start on the CAD drawings for the fuelling rigs and laser cut/made 12 sleeper style siding end stops, 4 of which will go in the fuel depot idc.  Hopefully have some photos of progress to post by Friday evening.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #190 on: February 20, 2019, 10:55:06 PM »
 :hellosign: A really huge  :thankyousign: Pete, vans arrived this morning, a most pleasent surprise
    regards Derek.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #191 on: February 21, 2019, 06:41:38 AM »
:hellosign: A really huge  :thankyousign: Pete, vans arrived this morning, a most pleasent surprise
    regards Derek.
And the same at Marton Hinmarche.   :thankyousign:
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #192 on: February 23, 2019, 12:16:23 PM »
BR / Hawksworth Auto-trailer W232W, in what appears to be BR Crimson livery, was used at Brixham with a 14xx.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #193 on: February 24, 2019, 02:49:16 PM »
As if by luck...................Just seen at Churston:

1464 and autocoach caught simmering in the bay platform at very quiet Churston this lunchtime waiting for the down connection from London.
Driver, Peter Williams, has quickly popped into the station for a chat with "Mini" Cooper (the booking clerk) whilst fireman Paul Fraser does a bacon and eggs fry-up on his shovel in the firebox.

5 minutes after the departure of the Paddington to Penxance express 1464 departs for Brixham with the 13.15 (Sundays Only) connection.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #194 on: February 24, 2019, 02:52:41 PM »
Great pictures Pete.
I can taste that bacon and egg - yum.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £51.00
Below Goal: £49.00
Site Currency: GBP
51% 
October Donations

anything