!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Tora Bora Line  (Read 7905 times)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: The Tora Bora Line
« Reply #165 on: January 10, 2019, 01:51:38 PM »
Excellent pictures Pete, thank you very much.

And all the correct way round.

I'm bottom of the class for computer things but the laptop (Mrs Train Waiting's!) says 'HP'.  Saucy, I know, but not an Apple.

Thanks again and best wishes.

John
Is your laptop in mint condition?
....ok, Iíll get my coat.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 07:43:19 AM by port perran »
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #166 on: January 10, 2019, 10:35:26 PM »
 :hellosign: Sorry a bit late but if it helps all Photos the right way up , on my phone tonight
     regards Derek

Offline Dizz

• N Gauge Society Number: 26050
    • Awards
« Reply #167 on: January 14, 2019, 11:10:34 PM »
Have made some landscaping progress with the bridge approach road and finalising the board joint, but nothing worth showing yet.
Sharkham Wagon Works has been churning out 15' Castor and Brixham fish vans and there are now 10 in service with kits for another 2 waiting.  I also have 8off 10' insulated goods van kits waiting and these are destined to form the Red Spinnaker Rum distribution service.
However, my main efforts have been spent painting/finishing the platform signal box and station building.
In the past I have laser cut window frames from 1/64" (0.4mm) ply, but there is a limit to how narrow I can cut the frames without setting fire to the remaining ply.  I started experimenting with other materials and hit on using thin card.  I can cut this with only 17% laser power, which means the beam/cut is very fine with little additional heat that ignites the work.  The window frames are only 0.2mm wide and fairly fragile, but card is cheap as chips, so I can cut shed loads of windows and only use the best frames.  I then soak them with thin cyano which wicks into the card and sets to form a composite material which is much more robust: a coat of paint adds further strength.  Glazing done with Humbrol "Clearfix".  I know there are a few bubbles caught in some panes, but I dont think they will be noticed at normal viewing distances.  Anyway, the signal box ready for weathering:

The station building was painted with Tamiya acryllics, Humbrol matt and gloss enamels and Railmatch authentic GWR enamels.  All done free hand with decent modelling brushes.
Station from the road side

From the up platform

and from a tall ladder
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 01:10:22 AM by Dizz »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #168 on: January 15, 2019, 08:17:25 AM »
That is excellent modelling indeed Pete.
And an added bonus........the photos are the right way up  :claphappy:

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #169 on: January 15, 2019, 09:34:45 AM »

Seconded!

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #170 on: January 15, 2019, 11:17:45 AM »
And an added bonus........the photos are the right way up  :claphappy:
Thank you Martin, I have to admit I'm very pleased with the result, best building I have made so far I think.
I took the first photo of the station building with the phone left side down then the ones from the platform side with the phone rotated 180 degrees expecting you to see one or the other inverted to help diagnose ...................but not!  As you know I messaged Tank but he is a busy man and he didn't get back to me, however maybe he has tweaked something anyway, so  :thankyousign: Tank  :D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 11:21:29 AM by Dizz »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #171 on: January 16, 2019, 11:30:36 AM »
:hellosign: Sorry a bit late but if it helps all Photos the right way up, on my phone tonight
     regards Derek

And on mine, too; Windows 7 and 10.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #172 on: January 16, 2019, 11:31:17 AM »

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #173 on: February 05, 2019, 02:10:06 PM »
Unfortunately I have been otherwise engaged the last few weeks and progress on finishing the Churston area up to a presentable standard has been very slow, but the last bit of ballasting and getting some scatter material down in that final patch by the board joint has now been done.  During my trips to Brixham I was able to make a few more wagon kits and develop some laser etched signs to an acceptable level.

Varying success with using Humbrol Clear and Black wash, but finally got there:

Last weekend up in Brixham I found a pile of reference material that I must have amassed over 21 years ago when I first started building the layout (see here for history https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39985.msg484404#msg484404).  I have been searching for photos of the aviation fuel transfer sidings without any success and had no idea that I had 2 photos of my own all along. They are photographs of photographs in the first place which I have captured on my phone, so the quality is a bit ropey, but they are good enough to post on here for the time being. They will be slightly better when I scan them properly.  I estimate they were taken in the very late 60's/early 70's.  I know when houses on Pillar Avenue (to the left of the depot) were built and the area of the fuel sidings is now a housing development so I'm trying to find out when that was built which should narrow down a date for the photos.

I have highlighted the track bed to the station that was lifted in 1964 with a dashed line. I have marked where I think the last photo was taken with a pink square and the arrow:

There is enough information in this photo to allow me to have a good stab at making up my own rigs which will look pretty much like the real thing I hope.  I made some rough drawings last night and will convert them into CAD drawings in due course so I can make some jigs on the laser.  My intention is to make the frame/supports (60 x tall and 22 x short) and pipework from Plastsruct extrusions and have placed a considerable online this morning.  The catwalk, catwalk brackets and fence posts will be laser cut from 1.6mm and 0.8mm ply.  I think I have some 2mm black heatshrink somewhere that will do for the hoses (if I can find it!).

And of course, all this can be done whilst I'm away from Portreath, standfast the little bit of laser work. :D

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #174 on: February 05, 2019, 03:45:53 PM »
Those signs look damned good :goggleeyes:

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #175 on: February 05, 2019, 03:49:22 PM »
Wot he said  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #176 on: February 05, 2019, 04:16:02 PM »
Your work is superb. Forgive my asking but I can't find the answer I seek in the thread and I do hope I am not asking you to repeat yourself, but why "Tora Bora Line"? It keeps making me think of a bunch of mountains where a former USA's "most wanted" was supposed to be hiding during Gulf War 2. I don't see the link with the West Country.
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #177 on: February 05, 2019, 04:23:06 PM »
Those signs are great Pete. Especially when you consider how small they must be.  :thumbsup:

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #178 on: February 05, 2019, 04:39:29 PM »
Your work is superb. Forgive my asking but I can't find the answer I seek in the thread and I do hope I am not asking you to repeat yourself, but why "Tora Bora Line"? It keeps making me think of a bunch of mountains where a former USA's "most wanted" was supposed to be hiding during Gulf War 2. I don't see the link with the West Country.
Hi Chris
You are nearly there mate  :thumbsup:
The layout is in a 12'x12' log cabin at the end of the garden.....my remote man cave....where I disappear to and hide away for hours (some would say days) on end :D
Plus Tora Bora is a bit of a play on Torbay: "The Torbay Express" ran from Kingswear through Churston on route to Paddington and I will be running my own version soon once I finish off the current scenic work.
Bit cryptic I suppose, but 33 years in the RN has warped my mind  :laugh3: :laugh3:
All the best
Pete

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #179 on: February 05, 2019, 04:50:34 PM »
Those signs are great Pete. Especially when you consider how small they must be.  :thumbsup:
Thank you Martin....the "Churston Signal Box" one is 3mm high and probably a little over scale.  The Waiting Room, Booking Office, etc are close to 2mm but much more fiddly to finish with the black wash.  Not a problem really because now I have cracked the procedure I can scale down the relevant signs with a couple of mouse clicks and produce a job-lot which can be finished off then just use the best ones.  Am only using scrap bits of 0.8mm ply sprayed white, so the cost is nearly zero, just time consuming.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
March Donations

Advertise Here