!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hogwarts to Kings Cross - A compact, folding layout  (Read 7200 times)

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
Re: Hogwarts to Kings Cross - A compact, folding layout
« Reply #165 on: August 10, 2020, 07:28:51 PM »
Steady progress Chris, fitted more point motors and got the goods sidings down on the bottom right corner of the layout, with enough space to get the King's Cross station platforms and canopy in....

Next job, finish the track for the platform bays, then we can start building some platforms...

Also whilst the weather is dry and sunny, if I get time I might start the N-scenic station canopy kit and spray the walls the base primer yellow, to see what I need to put on top to match the scale-scenics London brick paper.

Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #166 on: August 10, 2020, 07:39:06 PM »
 :NGF:Plenty of masking tape. I use plenty of old newspaper and cardboard spray booth so not to make any mess. I have plenty in my scenics box. Good work on the track laying
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 07:40:11 PM by crewearpley40 »

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #167 on: September 06, 2020, 11:12:04 PM »
Sorry not posted much progress on the Forum for a while but good news is that the Kings Cross station throat is now relaid and all track down. I’m now wiring up point motors and next will be into soldering any extra track power feeds. Then I can get some locos on to test. In the meantime I’ve made a short 90 second video of progress:

Hope you like it. Thanks for watching!
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #168 on: September 06, 2020, 11:33:52 PM »
Good work there

Offline RBTKraisee

• Awards
« Reply #169 on: September 06, 2020, 11:53:59 PM »
Now some questions, I'm just modelling the right hand train shed, (half of King's Cross) and will leave the front half open for viewing - there is of course the rather iconic clock tower, (see http://c8.alamy.com/comp/B5M7M7/clock-tower-kings-cross-station-euston-road-camden-london-england-B5M7M7.jpg) which I'd like to build. Any ideas?

Just been reading through your thread and came across this post from a while back.

I've been gradually designing a full 1990's era KX kit that I'm going to 3D print.   I'm about to start a thread showing progress to date.   I have now started a thread.   If you need the clock tower I can bump that up in my priority list.   I'll want it to fit the fronting of the main train shed so I've got to design and build that too so it might be Christmas by the time I get it done, but it will be a really accurate representation.

If I can source small enough quartz mechanisms, I want the clocks to work - but no guarantees on that until I can find them.

Ross.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 03:53:06 AM by RBTKraisee »
“The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are going to the stars” -Robert Heinlein

An Ex-Pat Brit:  Two decades living in Florida and still an unhealthy shade of "British Tourist White"

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #170 on: September 07, 2020, 02:47:59 PM »
Hi Ross @RBTKraisee - I just looked at your thread and the design there is amazing! Yes, I would be very interested in the clock tower if you can make one. I'd be interested initially in knowing the dimensions if you want to make it to scale. Perhaps I could commission you to make me a 3D printed version for my layout? I might need it pruning a bit to fit...

Regarding the working clocks - we might have to cheat a bit here but could settle for some "looks good enough" imitations -see for examples see: https://www.amazon.com/Insert-Movement-Miniature-Numerals-Diameter/dp/B085Y553NN/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=miniature+clocks&qid=1599485885&sr=8-4 or
https://www.cscrafts.co.uk/clock_inserts_uk

These run on button batteries so that would be easy to work. The smallest I can find are a 33mm total diameter which is an N scale 4-5 meters or so. Which doesn't sound that out of scale. Roughly speaking I reckon the tower is about 6-7 meters wide but would be interested to see if you already have scale drawings. Do you have anything you can share?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 03:06:28 PM by DarrwestLU6, Reason: typo »

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #171 on: September 07, 2020, 03:37:07 PM »
In my opinion this one looks better and is uk stocked https://www.cscrafts.co.uk/clock_inserts_uk     and would look the part

Offline RBTKraisee

• Awards
« Reply #172 on: September 07, 2020, 06:36:10 PM »
I haven't started a proper attempt at researching the clock tower yet (i.e. counting every brick), but my initial estimates based on a set of re-scaled architectural drawings suggest the real tower has a footprint of about 4.68m per side.   Now, that might actually be as little as 4.5m or it might be as much as 4.8m - but its somewhere in that range.

Assuming 4.68m is correct, that scales to 31.6mm in 1:148 UK N.   Allow at least 1mm for the walls either side and that means we need a clock mechanism no wider than 29mm - and as we need 4 of them in the tower we actually need a little more space so that the four mechs all fit with each other.   I'd guess we're now talking about 24-25mm being a maximum width.

At my local Walmart I found a girls watch for $3 that I took apart and it has a battery powered quartz mechanism 14 x 18mm and about 3.5mm thick.   Perfect.   You can find loads of similar things online, just use google shopping and search for "small watch movement".   This might be one of those times where buying a job lot of 20 or 50 on Etsy or AliExpress might actually make sense.

I think I can design the 'wall' of the tower to be able to fit a variety of different mechanisms around this size and hold them in place, though a simple bit of tape could probably do the job too!

I'm assuming we can simply print a clock face the right size and insert it under the hands; doing that we can make the face any size.   I'd guess we can probably get some new clock hands the right size and shape from somewhere too (google "small watch hands"), maybe some of the small secondary hands from another watch might do the job - if not, we can look at making new photo-etched parts.   I used to make some really big PE kits a while back, so if I buy all the gear again I can give that a go if we don't find anything better.

My only remaining question right now is how to fit everything so that the we can still reach the rods for setting the time on each unit.   I think I need to print a tower to see what the access looks like, before being able to really answer that.   Please be patient, I've got a few other jobs on ahead of this and I've been putting in 100+ hour weeks recently (know anyone who wants to invest in a startup putting datacenters in space?) so it may be a little while before I have anything to show on this front.

Ross.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 06:49:31 PM by RBTKraisee »
“The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are going to the stars” -Robert Heinlein

An Ex-Pat Brit:  Two decades living in Florida and still an unhealthy shade of "British Tourist White"

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 06:48:50 PM by crewearpley40 »

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #174 on: September 07, 2020, 06:51:04 PM »

Offline RBTKraisee

• Awards
« Reply #175 on: September 07, 2020, 06:52:41 PM »
That's really cool!   Behind the clock reminds me of the one in Harry Potter  ;D

When I'm next back in England (summer 2021 perhaps) I want to arrange an all-access tour of the whole of KX - really want to examine that glass train shed roof!

And I see on there a link for AirBnB renting out the apartment in the St Pancras clock tower! LOL

The second link isn't showing me any pictures though :(

Ross.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 06:55:17 PM by RBTKraisee »

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #176 on: September 07, 2020, 06:55:45 PM »
Scroll further down but the links take an age to load

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #177 on: September 22, 2020, 08:37:53 PM »
Not much happening at KX-Hogwarts this week, sadly, due to a manic weekend and now this week work is extra busy with some deadlines to hit. Never mind, to cheer me up I have been buying things online and will surprise you all with some photos of them when they arrive....

Offline RBTKraisee

• Awards
« Reply #178 on: September 22, 2020, 08:49:33 PM »
Lookin' forward to it :)

Ross.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #179 on: September 22, 2020, 10:00:56 PM »
It's called keeping us in suspense darren and yes, I had a busy weekend too wondering how your doing with tracklaying, point motors etc

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal