!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Bayswater Station - Victoria, Australia  (Read 355 times)

Offline rob_au

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Bayswater Station - Victoria, Australia
« on: November 22, 2019, 11:44:57 AM »
So, after getting some sound advice from the Layout Planning group, I have started building the baseboards for my first layout.

This layout is based on Bayswater railway station in Victoria, Australia. This site was selected because of the inclusion of a small rail works at this location (and partly having also grown up in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne, not far from this rail line).

For ease of construction, the baseboard will be built in two parts each measuring 1200 mm by 600 mm which will be joined end to end. The baseboards themselves will be 6 mm marine ply (AA Grade mixed hardwood marine plywood), but this will be built upon with additional layers of (non-structural) plywood such that the baseboard will vary between 6 mm and 12 mm across the layout. These baseboards will be mounted on 19 mm x 89 mm pine frames with dovetail joints - It is these pine frames that I have started work on this evening and have set the first corner this evening.

I plan to update this thread as this build processes.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 11:49:26 AM by rob_au »

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
Re: Bayswater Station - Victoria, Australia
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 06:12:10 PM »
An Australian project! This will be an interesting addition to the NGF. Good luck with this and I will follow your progress with much interest. Thanks for sharing.  :thumbsup:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline LASteve

• N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 05:04:37 AM »
This is looking to be a very cool project. Did you really say dovetail joints on your baseboard frame? I'm happy if I can screw two bits of wood together without hurting myself. Good luck with the construction and keep us updated with progress, we're an inquisitive lot.

Offline rob_au

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 07:09:31 AM »
Did you really say dovetail joints on your baseboard frame? I'm happy if I can screw two bits of wood together without hurting myself.
Yes - While they are in no way any piece of genuine craftsmanship, I have set myself the task of trying to do this layout "right". Even now as I look at the first frame, I'm thinking that I might redo it to give myself a little more space from the outset. I figure that this would be easier than trying to find or extend the baseboard to incorporate this space later on. In any event, this first frame has given me my first practice at woodwork joints in nearly 30 years, so that's a little positive to take out of the exercise.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 07:10:50 AM by rob_au »

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 10:25:01 AM »
Hi rob_au,

You seem to have had lots of different posts and I was losing track (no pun intended) but now your in 'layout construction' welcome aboard and looking forward to your build.

Will be great to see something a bit different.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 10:43:06 AM »
Yes, I'm really looking forward to watching this layout develop. Australian prototypes are definitely underrepresented on here.
 :beers:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 01:03:23 PM »
Well we are down Under  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Graham

• N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 10:48:18 PM »
even in our local shows it is very rare to see a Victorian n gauge layout.

Offline rob_au

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 10:22:16 AM »
After a little re-work, I have completed the baseboard for this layout.

Baseboard

I wasn't happy with the support given by the 6 mm marine plywood, so I switched this out for some 9 mm equivalent. The 6 mm will be used for the implementation of the very gradual slopes (all <1%) which will be incorporated into this layout.

Baseboard - Dovetail Joint

They proved to be quite time consuming to set, but I'm really happy with how these came out. While working on these, I kept reminding myself that if I want this layout to be something that I will be happy to play with for some time, I need to be happy with each step along the way and avoid short-term compromises.

Baseboard - Additional Bracket

I put an additional bracket under each corner of the frame to provide some additional stability to the frame corners.

I have also played with the layout a little further - including migrating it from SCARM to AnyRail - and made the decision to have the fiddle yard on a separate base board so that I can play with and to this further without compromising the focus of the layout on the main baseboard. This should probably also be interpreted to mean - "I want to play with part of the layout design a bit more"

The next task will be to start to map out the different layers and components of the layout on this baseboard. I'm hoping to get started on this before I have to travel for work at the end of the week.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2019, 10:47:09 AM »
That is superb work, but without being disrespectful, is it over engineering?

I used 4 x 2 timbers as supports for my layout, and realised they were really not necessary.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline rob_au

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2019, 11:01:37 AM »
That is superb work, but without being disrespectful, is it over engineering?

Oh, it quite probably is. However, I have a tendency to be a perfectionist and were I not to put the effort in now, I *know* that in a year's time I would be looking at the board and cursing myself for not having put more care and effort into the endeavour. In this way, I figure that putting the effort in now, will prevent me getting discouraged later on.

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2019, 11:43:25 AM »
 I have a tendency to be a perfectionist and were I not to put the effort in now, I *know* that in a year's time I would be looking at the board and cursing myself for not having put more care and effort into the endeavour. In this way, I figure that putting the effort in now, will prevent me getting discouraged later on.

I know exactly what you mean. There are models that I made decades ago - omitting some unseen interior detail so I could meet a deadline - that still haunt me.
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline rob_au

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2019, 12:50:29 PM »
Some further progress this evening ... I generated a 1:1 print of the layout to confirm the placement of track and scenery components.

The additional space at the bottom of the overlay will be used for further scenery including the station entrance, bus stop and additional parking.

This photo shows the Peco SL-396 Streamline Code 80, left turnout point on the overlay and the risers (6 mm above the baseboard) on which the track will on either side of the station island platform.

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2019, 09:33:42 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
   Looking good   :thumbsup:
      regards Derek.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00