!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: "Brickmakers Lane" begins to move on....  (Read 212 times)

Bob G and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Southerngooner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24642
    • Ebay
    • Awards
"Brickmakers Lane" begins to move on....
« on: March 22, 2020, 04:43:12 PM »
With the state of the world at the moment I thought I'd post a bit of something positive. I've been building this layout for over four years, but finally proper retirement (our barn is now finished) and the current virus have given me time to move on.

Over the last few days I've managed to paint the all of track on this board with an airbrush, fit the many dummy sleepers I stupidly forgot when tracklaying, and weather all of the sleepers. I hope to start ballasting tomorrow, followed by the last few pieces of wiring, and then this board will be ready for scenic work.

Going from left to right on the photo the first four left hand roads are the hidden main lines, followed by the goods yard, then the two visible main lines. The junction on the right hand pair leads to the loco yard and reversing loop. Finally there is the carriage sidings, with a two track runround loop followed by six storage sidings.

There will be a bridge over the line in the right distance, just behind the ends of the carriage and goods sidings, and then a suburban High Street acting as a scenic break.  I've just invested in a Silhouette cutter after seeing Roger Fransworth's excellent work on "Wrenton", and have already designed and made my first (very small) building. With a sizeable amount of plasticard just delivered there is nothing more to stop me moving on now at present. This enforced period of semi-isolation is good for some things!

Online Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
Re: "Brickmakers Lane" begins to move on....
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 05:51:12 PM »
I can just picture it.
I understand the references to Bricklayers Arms, but the track layout reminds me of Norwood/Croydon area with flying junctions etc and certainly the multiple levels.

My layout is Bishopstoke (a village near to Eastleigh) and my layout has shades of Eastleigh/Southampton/Fratton about it.
I'm starting installing electric points next week, if all my business contracts remain cancelled.

That's the thing with being self-employed. No one pays your wages. Not even Boris!
And I see his dad will be over your way shortly, with his French passport :)
How's that for solidarity :)

Best
Bob

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 05:56:43 PM »
The run down towards Stewart's lane and those south london suburban lines reminds me of those. Inspiring . Are you modelling a flyover ?

Offline Southerngooner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24642
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 07:22:18 AM »
It is based on the areas around Stewartís Lane and Bricklayers Arms, hence the name, and yes, there will be a flyover. In fact I need 7 large girder bridges to cover all of the crossing points, although one of these will be the road bridge that will take the High Street over the railway at the far end of the original picture. When I get round to clearing the other board (itís got all the junk from this board on it at the moment) Iíll take a photo and you will see the various levels and bridges.

Dave

Offline chrispearce

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: Today at 01:31:04 AM »
Brilliant piece of construction there. Looks most tidy and impressive. :thumbsup:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £105.55
Above Goal: £45.55
Site Currency: GBP
176% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal