!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Longframlington (Northumbrian branch line)  (Read 48521 times)

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
Re: Longframlington (Northumbrian branch line)
« Reply #600 on: June 25, 2019, 01:44:06 PM »
I took a bit of time out from working on Land Rovers this morning to add the lifting handle and end guards to my fiddle yard.

I suspect most modellers would have done the whole thing in plywood, but I was a Meccano kid and it shows sometimes  :)

Richard

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #601 on: June 25, 2019, 03:55:32 PM »
Are you sure that big black turntable won't unbalance the layout when it's hanging off the end? :uneasy:

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #602 on: June 26, 2019, 10:13:32 PM »
Back in action, bigger and hopefully better than before.  Here is the fiddle yard in place and positively bristling with trains. This layout was originally supposed to be 6' x 1' including fiddle yard.  It is now eight inches longer: that drop-down flap at the end is blatant cheating.

To celebrate the line's re-opening the morning Morpeth - Longframlington passenger train is extended from two to three coaches.  A J39, 64843 of Tweedmouth, provides the motive power. It's long past time the coalman got off his backside and started delivering some coal. 

Later the same day an unaccustomed visitor, in the shape of a St Margarets B1, tiptoes around the goods yard trying not to spread the track. 

61184's appearance here has some significance.  Like the 2MT, this is a model which has never failed to disappoint.  It was a lousy runner from new.  The motor did the Dapol thing and ate its bearings: it was replaced with a Hanazono five-pole which I have had sitting in a box of old tat for about twenty years.  This improved the running a bit but it still wasn't great.  In an attempt to stop it stalling on pointwork I added some lead weights to the tender and it is now transformed.  Today was the first time I have entrusted it with a goods working and it performed beautifully.  Other Dapol B1 owners take note. Ivatt 4MT is next up for investigation: I had to replace the gear on the middle axle and I have a feeling the quartering is a fraction out.

Richard

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #603 on: June 27, 2019, 07:00:50 AM »
Thank you, Richard, for another set of excellent and informative pictures.

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #604 on: June 29, 2019, 06:50:50 PM »
Jezebel continues to vex me.  I have had this model of Carlisle's pet 4MT to bits twice now and if there is anything wrong with the mechanism I can't see it, but she still doesn't run as smoothly as my other Poole-era mechanisms.  So I'm giving her an hour in each direction on the rolling road in the hope that whatever is sticking will either free up, or break properly so that I can fix it.

The biblical Jezebel was thrown out of a window and eaten by wild dogs.  This one might not be too far off suffering the same fate.

Richard

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #605 on: July 07, 2019, 11:37:06 PM »
Another locomotive for Longframlington starts to take shape.  Anyone want to guess what this is going to be?

The chassis is an Atlas RS-3 (actually made by Kato) which I picked up cheap a while ago.  I already have one of these chassis under my NBL Type 2 but this one didn't run nearly as well, until I took a close look at the wheels and found that two of them were grooved for traction tyres which had gone missing.  I have a few Atlas spares which included two wheelsets, so the chassis now has no traction tyres and 8-wheel pickup. I was toying with the idea of putting it under a Farish Class 25/3 body (available new and painted for under a tenner) but looking through the book of BR diesel drawings I have had since my teens I found something with exactly the right wheelbase.  I'm hoping to have it built for the Redcar show at the start of August.

Meanwhile having got my 5-road fiddle yard up and running I have been trying to work out what to put on it.  I want to run a sequence of trains typical of Borders branches, so the current plan is:

• Branch passenger - 3 coaches, or 2 coaches and a couple of vans.
  • Branch goods - 9 wagons maximum.
  • Parcels train - mixture of bogie and four wheelers. My Dapol "Fruit D" finally has a home.
  • Mixed train - a single coach, a few wagons and a brake van.  Not common in the Borders (or anywhere south of Perth) but I have fallen in love with the Aberfeldy branch which ran mixed trains into the diesel era.
  • Loco and inspection saloon, to give the viewing public something to look at while the fiddle yard is being turned round.

Hopefully not much more to do before Redcar, just the drape at the front to rework. Jezebel is running a little better (one of the piston rods was bottoming out inside the cylinder block) so I should start the two day show with a dozen working locomotives.  How many are still running by Sunday afternoon is anyone's guess.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #606 on: July 08, 2019, 09:36:45 AM »
Another locomotive for Longframlington starts to take shape.  Anyone want to guess what this is going to be?

The 'block' could lend itself to a class 17 which I think would fit right in on your layout. :hmmm:

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #607 on: July 08, 2019, 09:37:12 AM »

That's an interesting question, Richard.  I'm about the least qualified person to attempt to answer about a diesel locomotive... but I'll try.  It'll give you a laugh at least!

It'll be a Bo-Bo.

You are careful to have realistic locomotives for the locality, so NBL and Paxman 'Type 1's and the EE 'Type 2' are unlikely.  You already have a NBL 'Type 2'.

I assume that you will not build something that is available from the trade.  I'm not quite as up to speed on RTR diesels as I ought to be, but I recall that 'Derby' and 'Birmingham' 'Type 2's are available.  You have ruled out the final, Beyer Peacock development of the 'Derby' 'Type 2'.

Looking at the shape of the chassis might be a clue, although the dimensions (particularly the heights!) will be really important.  A class of Bo-Bo, seen in the NER and ScR, say from about 1962 that I've not ruled out...  Sad to say, for the operational efficiency of your branch line, I'm going to plump for a Clayton 'Type 1'.  Dreadful machines I understand.  My late father took me to see the closed Ardrossan steam shed absolutely packed with them.  That would have been in 1971, I think.

I look forward to the humiliation that I expect will follow this guess!

Best wishes.

John

PS  Blimey! NPN, who knows about these things, has just said the same thing!

« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 09:39:39 AM by Train Waiting, Reason: Updated in light of another post. »
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #608 on: July 08, 2019, 10:34:18 AM »
Both of you are right, a class 17 "Clayton" is what it will be. Gateshead shed had a few of them delivered in 1964.  A "Clayton" (or rather two of them) will also fit in with my long term Waverley Route plans: Edinburgh Haymarket received large numbers of Claytons and couldn't think of anything to do with them, so used them in pairs on Waverley Route fast freights.  It wasn't what they were designed for, and they fell to bits fairly quickly.

With the demise of DJM, I reckon a Clayton would be an excellent subject for a 3D printed bodyshell: the only problem with using the Atlas - Kato chassis is that it needs a fair bit of metal taking off the sides and top, which is hard work.  Other than that it's perfect - readily available, well-made and sweet-running.  Not DCC-friendly but there are ways around that. A 3D-printed class 21/29 would be even better as the bogies are almost identical to the RS-3 and there would be no need to modify the chassis casting.

Richard

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #609 on: July 08, 2019, 12:10:08 PM »
Sounds excellent, Richard. A 'Clayton' Type 1 (Class 17) was going to be my guess, too. At one time they were announced as the new BR Standard Type 1 because their long bonnets gave much better vision than the EE TYpe 1s. However, an extra batch of EE Type 1s then had to be ordered, some being delivered new in BR Blue livery. Some Class 17s survived long enough to receive BR Blue and yellow end livery. Derby Research Centre ended up with two which I saw.

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #610 on: July 08, 2019, 12:29:13 PM »
Claytons on the Waverley Route, a well known photo by Derek Cross.  This was at the start of the northbound slog to Whitrope and the pair were already in some trouble.  The photographer was able to get back into his car, drive to Steele Road and have his camera set up in plenty of time before they struggled into view.

https://railphotoprints.uk/p463656785/h3A494199#h3a494199

Richard

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £95.00
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
July Donations

Advertise Here