!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Stobs (Waverley Route, 1961)  (Read 4594 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: Stobs (Waverley Route, 1961)
« Reply #135 on: April 05, 2020, 06:41:37 AM »
I laid my track over three years ago and, from your description, the fish plates were the old style.  However, I have found that with the track laid using Copydex, over a period of time, the joins on curves have tended to creep into angled joints.  I addressed the problem by inserting two or three track pins through the sleepers either side of the join, which has held it together nicely.  Of course, you may not like the appearance of the track pins, although I don't mind them.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
« Reply #136 on: April 05, 2020, 08:59:39 AM »
Thanks for that Laurence.  The track in the storage loops is pinned down, but even with three pins through closely spaced sleepers either side of the joins they still kinked slightly with the new fishplates.  Minimum radius here is 12" so it's not that I am flexing the track beyond its design limit.

Richard

Offline Webbo

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #137 on: April 05, 2020, 09:21:09 AM »
I think that preventing track joins from kinking at least a little on 12" curves is a pretty big ask even with pinning lots of sleepers on both sides of the joint. The solution is to solder the rail sections together and it's not that hard.

Webbo

Offline belstone

• Awards
« Reply #138 on: April 05, 2020, 10:54:39 AM »
I'm a bit wary of soldering the sections together due to the risk of the track buckling in hot weather.  On the other hand the track is pinned rather than glued which might allow it to move sideways a little if the expansion gaps at the rail ends aren't big enough to accommodate the expansion.  The room where I will have to store the loop boards can get very hot in summer. I'd be interested to hear other people's experiences in this area.

Richard

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #139 on: April 05, 2020, 01:31:23 PM »
My minimum radius in the storage loops is about 250mm (10" in old money).  I have designed my follow on layout, which will be largely what I have now, but with a lot of lessons learned.  One of the design mods I have made is, for the storage loops, to have quadrant curves with short straight connecting them.  The idea is to ensure that any track joins in the storage loops are on the short straights, rather than on curves.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Roy L S

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #140 on: April 05, 2020, 01:57:13 PM »
I have always used Code 80 in my fiddle-yards as I find it easier to work with. For the very sharpest curves I use Peco set-track (available in four different radii) which then removes any risk of kinking at joins and ensures consistent radius.

Roy

Offline belstone

• Awards
« Reply #141 on: Yesterday at 10:22:49 PM »
Electrics have been making steady progress, until I got to the stage of starting to wire up the servo and relay boards and hit a snag.  Both boards run on the same principle: when the relevant signal pin is connected to earth, this operates the servo or relay associated with that pin.  This makes point switching very simple, using an on-off switch with one terminal connected to the signal pins (relay and servo) and the other to earth.  I used the system on Longframlington but it is a while since I did the electrics on that layout. 

I ordered 12 volt relay boards, since the servo boards use a 12v supply.  What I failed to foresee is that the signal pins on the relay board are at 12v, whereas those on the servo board are 5v.  When I linked the two together the relay board interpreted this as a voltage drop on the signal pin, so the relay was permanently on.  I had a spare 5v relay board which i connected up the same way as the 12v one (apart from the power supply) and it behaved perfectly.  So I now have 5v relay boards on order.

Getting there, slowly.

Richard

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal