!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Coniston  (Read 14479 times)

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
Re: Coniston
« Reply #450 on: December 17, 2019, 01:27:39 PM »
Coniston will only need part of the yard to receive and dispatch copper ore wagons to/from the Copper House up the valley from the northern end.

How far beyond the station did trains actually run?

About 300 metres, to just the other side of Mealy Gill. That's where the Copper House was.
From about halfway along that, almost up to the Gill, there was a long siding originally used for marshalling the wagons in and out.

In the 1930s, copper ore and much of the slate traffic having come to an end, this siding was used for camping coaches - during the summer the early morning train from Foxfield was pushed up to Coniston so that the loco didn't have to run round and disturb the sleeping occupants  :D

Currently if you duck down to the farm just above the 'Sun' pub (I don't recommend the jacket spuds) you can follow a footpath that links you past the slate wharf (presumed) and onto what looks like it could have been an old railway line, except it's a bit steep in places.

That sounds like the site of the Copper House - anything that looks like it could have been railway beyond would have been just a track for horses/ponies to bring the ore down to the Copper House.

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #451 on: December 17, 2019, 02:48:59 PM »
Do you actually have a marker where those uncouplers are chris ? Its hard noticing the white dabs. I use a marker on the platform or in the yard painted brightly. Impressive work so far

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #452 on: December 17, 2019, 03:00:23 PM »
Do you actually have a marker where those uncouplers are chris ? Its hard noticing the white dabs. I use a marker on the platform or in the yard painted brightly. Impressive work so far

Don't forget that it's easier to see things in an A4 sized mirror than it is to see them on an 800 pixel wide, slightly fuzzy photo. The mirrors aren't that fuzzy really, I think the camera got confused at being asked to take a photo of a mirror using flash so didn't get the focus spot on.

I went for the white dabs because it's not unlikely that the P-way bods might mark the end of a sleeper due for replacement, etc. Also, they are on the rear end of the sleepers so less visible to viewers looking from the front.

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #453 on: December 17, 2019, 03:04:32 PM »
I was thinking along those lines  pardon the pun. Nevertheless effective. Least  an ingenious way of detecting your trains

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #454 on: December 25, 2019, 06:51:07 PM »
Also posted in the Coniston Railway thread but repeated here for completeness.
Coniston now has its mirrors fitted to aid operating from the back, the nameboard and lighting done and the backscene finished off with all the post-WWII  house additions and changes removed.

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £85.00
Above Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
142% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal